“Best hotel in the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hollywood, Florida
“Best hotel in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My family was traveling to Atlanta from South Florida and stayed at the Paramount on Monday night. Enjoyed it so much that we stayed there again on Friday on the way back home. I had two 11 yr old girls with me and they absolutely loved the huge pool. The resturant was great and the service was even better. Ron M went above and beyond to make sure everybody was happy with everything. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the years and wouldnt consider staying anywhere else while in the Gainesville area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Paramount Plaza Hotel and Suites and for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experience with fellow travelers. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the first evening so much that you chose to stay with us again on the return trip. It was also pleasant to read that our staff, specifically Ron, provided excellent service. If you are ever in the Gainesville area please consider the Paramount.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
atkinson, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is a great place to stay for a casual trip. The hotel has all the basics, including a breakfast buffet, Starbucks Coffee, outdoor pool with a small lake in back that keeps reminding you this is Florida.

John at the desk made check in easy, though I arrived after midnight. The rooms were comfortable and clean. I used the free internet access and their lobby printer to print boarding passes.

This is a hotel I will remember for the value. I was glad I found it and recommend it to anyone visiting Gainesville.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. Our property is undergoing major renovations at the moment to improve the experience for the guests. The new rooms include new carpet, mattresses, furniture, flat-screen T.V.'s, microwaves, and mini-fridges. Our property also has many amenities for the guests to utilize including a shuttle service, a fitness center, a business center, and a lakeside pool. Contact us directly to book your next stay!

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Two thumbs up!!!
I initially booked a lake-view room and they upgraded me to a family suite for free. The room has large space and was well-equipped; beautiful decoration, black and white and beach scene, modern and relaxing. Bed was big and very comfortable. Clean too. Good lake view, unfortunately I could not sit in the balcony for long, either due to the heat of the day or mosquitoes at night, it should be very nice outside in early spring or late fall though. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. I asked for an extra day of stay, and they said I just needed to confirm before my original check-out time; I ended up stay only until the afternoon, and they charged a half-day rate for check-out before 5 pm., which worked out for me well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I liked the Plaza and had a lake view at no extra charge. Our son was going to start-up at UF and because my wife and I are both unemployed at this time I had to look for the best deal.
I was able to get two nights for $101.00 Paid in advance, nonrefundable and this is a nice hotel for that price. We were there on 7/14 and 7/15 and we have to come back on 8/18 when he starts school {empty nest}. I liked the Plaza so much I went online when we got home to book a room for the Aug. trip up to UF but could not find any thing under $96.00 a night.....Looks like we will have to stay out by the Interstate, the Fairfield Marriott is $59.00 for advance payment, it seems the Plaza has higher prices in August than in July. Oh yea the free internet is not free, they add a few bucks a night at the end.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Margate, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Since this was not a high-priced hotel, I knew better than to expect anything too wonderful. However, as I mentally add up my list of complaints, I wonder if this hotel even met my expectations, much less exceeded them. Here is the list of negatives I accumulated during a 3-night stay with my daughter who was attending Preview at UF:

1) The free wi-fi wasn't working in my building the first night (but was working in the hotel lobby). It was fixed thereafter.
2) TV was old and received very few channels with poor cable reception
3) The toilet in my room was fickle and had to be continually coaxed to flush. I did call the front desk and they asked if they should send someone in to look at it during the day. However, if they indeed did send someone, there was still no improvement when I returned to the room that night.
4) The common areas, such as the halls and elevator, were incredibly warm and stuffy. Some other guests mentioned to me that the heat from the hall was affecting the temperature of their room despite the room's AC unit. The AC unit in my own room worked fine but was VERY noisy.
5) The elevator was REALLY slow.
6) The parking lot near the rooms was overcrowded.
7) I didn't see any roaches, but there were some sort of flying bugs in my room.
8) It appeared that nothing had been renovated or upgraded since the place was built.

Now, for the positives:
1) I paid motel prices for a true hotel with doors inside the building.
2) The bed and linens were very comfortable.
3) The water pressure in the shower was fantastic.
4) It was nice to have a restaurant on site (although there was no free breakfast or coffee in the lobby like many motels have). There was also a very nice pool.
5) I felt secure since guests had to swipe their room card just to get into the building.
6) Despite the bugs, the room appeared acceptably clean and smelled nice.

This was really a toss-up for me. I would probably stay here again if I could get the same rate, but with lower expectations. Aside from the comfy bed, I've probably had better experiences at local Gainesville motels that purposely advertise as being inexpensive.

Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was our 4th time staying at this hotel. My daughter is in her 3rd year of college at the Gator Nation! Which is less than a mile away! Each time we have stayed we just could not find one complaint. This time was even better. They had a special going for $50.00 through hotel.com. The first night I spent in my daughters dorm on an air mattress. The next two nights were for just the two of us to spend some time together! That first morning, I called the hotel, I told them I wanted to spend the day tubing down the Itchetucknee River and would not be able to check in until late. They offered to check me in right then and there at 9am! Can you imagine?! When I arrived they upgraded me to a suite with 2 queen size beds instead of 2 doubles. The pillows were perfect and so was the bedding! I could go on, but what's the point. After my 4th trip being 5 star, I just wanted to let everyone know, whether your child is at the Gator Nation or your just visiting Gainesville Florida, you can bet you'll get a bang for your buck at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites. I'm glad to hear of your positive review of your stay! Our property is undergoing major renovations at the moment to improve the experience for the guests. The new rooms include new carpet, mattresses, furniture, flat-screen T.V.'s, microwaves, and mini-fridges. Our property also has many amenities for the guests to utilize including a shuttle service, a fitness center, a business center, and a lakeside pool. Contact us directly to book your next stay!

Jacksonville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Let me tell you about my experience with the Paramount hotel in Gainesville, FL. I booked this stay through Priceline and I named my own price. This is not something that I would ever do again through without doing more research. My bid was for $60 for a 2.5 star hotel which I thought would be a great deal. Well of course it was immediately accepted by the Paramount and now I know why. The rates for these rooms range $53-$60 anyway. This is not the fault of the hotel; it is truly mine for not doing more research.
I was traveling with my Mother and 2 daughters to a UF function at the School of Journalism. After being awarded the hotel and reading the reviews I was a little concerned. Of course I could not change hotels nor could I afford to just lose the money so I dealt with it.
I was pleasantly surprised to see how close to UF the hotel was although getting to the hotel it appeared that we were on a “seedy” part of town. The hotel lobby was decent enough and appeared clean. We were immediately notified that the pool and gazebo would be closed from 4-6 for a function. The desk clerk at my request refunded the $2.50 “resort fee”. The pool was to be the highlight of the trip for my 7 year old. Our room was #1309 and was very easy to find. The hotel hallway was just a little dark for my taste but ok. When we entered the room the first thing that I noticed was the odor. It smelled like mold and judging by some of the bubbling sheetrock I would guess that there was some water damage at sometime. The beds seemed clean and comfortable but the furniture left a lot to be desired; it was also bubbling in places. My room included a small balcony with 2 plastic chairs overlooking the pool. The grounds appeared to need maintenance especially near the beautiful lake which was obstructed by overgrown bushes.
Now here is where it gets a little crazy. Before leaving for dinner we tried using the television (old picture tube). The television worked just fine it was the remote that was faulty. We called down to the front desk and within 3 minutes a man was at our door bearing a new remote. I asked him to wait while I tried the new remote to confirm that it worked and I am so glad that I did. This remote would not work either so he came in and did what he could to get it to work but it wouldn’t. He told us that he would get us another but we advised him that we were leaving so he told us that he would just drop one off. Well sure enough we got back late and there was another remote waiting for us but it didn’t work either. This was around 9pm at this time. We called the front desk again to request another remote and was told that they had no more options for us and we would just have to get up and channel ourselves or change rooms. We decided just to manually change the channels because it was too late to change rooms plus they didn’t have any more rooms with two beds (at least that is what they told us). So we sucked it up showered and got into bed.
At about 10 just when we were settling into bed we were startled! No it wasn’t by the noises that you could here through the thin walls we were startled but someone entering our room. I mean my door was opened! They were only able to crack it because we had the top security feature on. He said “sorry wrong room” and shut the door back (Don’t ask me why I didn’t call 911). My heart was racing so fast as I jumped out of bed. How could this happen? I franticly called the front desk and was told “oh he probably just came to bring you the remote” My response was “Are you serious? We were told that there wasn’t anything else that they could do for us. He didn’t even knock. If he was here just to leave a remote as you say then why didn’t he?” Jared at the front desk was super calm about the incident he told me that a manager would be calling me back the next morning. At this point I just wanted out but to where? So we made the decision to stay. Needless to say, we didn’t get any sleep. We just didn’t know what would happen next. Later on Jared called again to tell he says that the refund would have to come from Priceline and that I had to contact them. It sounded strange to me, but who am I?
We woke up at about 7am to get the heck out of there. We packed up and actually had breakfast in the hotel. It was a decent enough for a buffet. I normally don’t eat at buffets but the restaurant was almost empty. I guess the other guest weren’t quite up. The buffet itself was $8.95 per person and $4.50 for children which included a beverage. The breakfast was encased in nice roll topped chafing dishes. It wasn’t anything too fancy but it included grits, bacon, sausage (undercooked) pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, eggs and potatoes. I thought that the price was in line and the food was ok enough.
Checkout was painless and took less than one minute. No mention was made of the previous nights incidents.
I just arrived home and I have already contacted Priceline. They have already informed that it is going to take 5 business days for someone to review my request. I let them know that I didn’t make the “request” that it was a given by the hotel. I may as well have been talking to a brick because the rep didn’t seem to understand.
I will keep you posted on how things turn out.

Room Tip: Get the rooms overlooking the pool