“It was ok - not bad, not great, but ok” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #26 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Houston
“It was ok - not bad, not great, but ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The very best things about this hotel - breakfast, close to campus, and surprisingly comfy beds. Also, the staff is quite helpful.

Details:
1) We were initially booked in a king room - it was just around the corner from the lobby, at the base of the staircase, and the smell of smoke hit us in the face the very moment we opened the door. I could NOT do it; we immediately went back to the front desk to ask for another room. Interestingly, the clerk already knew what we wanted before we even told him. Even though the hotel was overbooked, he gave us the option of looking at another room (a double "suite" at the top of the same staircase) and decide between the two. Very good customer service.

2) We were down for the UF v. LSU game - this location is perfect. The only thing better would have been the Holiday Inn on University, which was booked of course. We could have walked to campus and been in the middle of it all. It also was not far, but not walking distance, from what I guessed was the downtown strip - although in a city the size of Gainesville, is anything really "far"?

3) The continental breakfast was quite good. I expected to see bagels and coffee.... and that's it. It was much more of a spread - waffle maker, eggs, sausage, biscuits, fruit, cereal, muffins, eclairs, toast, juice.... and of course bagels and coffee. ;-)

I'm sure I left something off, but all in all, for a shot trip this hotel will do. Be aware that it is clearly an older hotel - small bathrooms, no flat screen TV (old school tubes), suite not much of a suite - but it is clean and the best price this close to campus on a home game weekend. AND since I tend to choose hotels almost solely based on the bed (and location), it must be pretty alright because I slept like a baby.

Room Tip: If you are NOT a smoker or if you have allergies or sinus problems, DO NOT get booked in room 128.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hahira, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in June, and it was one of those, "oh wow the photos are rather misleading" experiences. The photos make the property look enormous, the pools look inviting, and the rooms look bright and airy. In reality the parking lot was small and the property crammed in next to a strip of retail stores that look rather questionable. The whirlpool was green. Four of the guests were having fun trying to taunt a snake that they'd startled in the pool area, using the pool's rescue hook. The non smoking room smelled like an odd combination of sharp mildew and wet ashtray (partially because the rooms nearby had smokers staying in them and the smokers would stand outside, right by our room, and smoke near the intake of our A/C unit.) The toilet rocked on it's base and if you wore anything over a size 10, getting the door of the bathroom closed without standing in the toilet or shower itself, was a feat of gymnastic skill. Also, the fridge wasn't working properly and looked like someone had hit it, in the driveway, with a compact car, a few times. What saved this trip from being a 1 to 2 star rating however, was the absolutely sweet staff with cheery dispositions and the willingness to TRY and help out. This wouldn't be one of our top three choices for a return trip but it would be one of the top five for the budget savvy traveler. It's safe, dry, and secure, if nothing else, with VERY nice staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Quality Inn was clean, but a room that would normally cost $69 per night was $99 because we had the bad luck of scheduling our visit during the week that parents were bringing their kids to University of Florida for the Fall Semester. I imagine that the same level of price gouging goes on when there's a sports event, too. The rooms open to the outside, not a hallway. There was a giant jacuzzi in the room (not in the bathroom -- in the room) -- personally I wouldn't consider getting in a jacuzzi in a hotel room and I don't even want to think about what has happened in that jacuzzi in the past. Even looking at it creeped me out. There was also an empty beer bottle outside our door for half-a-day. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Delray Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Quality Inn for a weekend visiting a family member at nearby hospital. Very clean, comfortable beds, very friendly staff. Free buffet breakfast included waffles, eggs/grits, cereal, fresh fruit, toast/bagels, coffee & juice. I would Definitley stay again if in area.

• Stayed June 2012
West Palm Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Not only is this place close to UF, it satisfies all my criteria: safe. clean, and convenient. Also cheap and has free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I had made reservations several days in advance and had requested a room with two queen beds and non smoking on the first floor because I am not able to walk the stairs.I was told by Sanjay in which whom I made my reservation with that it was not a problem that I would indeed have a non smoking, 2 queen beds room on the first floor and he gave me a confirmation number and I thought that everything was set. WHAT A LIE !!! Apon arrival after driving for 10 hours, I was told by the girl a the desk that she did not have any rooms on the first floor, except for a king room with a jacuzzi. That was not going to work with 2 adults and 2 children.She then called the person in which I had made the reservations with (Sanjay) and he told her that he didn't remember taking the reservation even though the girl could see my reservation and confirmation on her computer.It turns out that Sanjay happens to be the manager she told me. He told her to show me a room on the first floor that they switched from smoking to non smoking,so we looked at the room and what bulls*** !!!. Non smoking my ****! That room smelled so bad the minute you opened the door.After not being able to provide us with the accomodations that we had reserved the girl went on to tell me that she was still going to charge me for a room anyway even though they could not accomodate us. After complaining she finally called Sanjay( the so called manager) and he tells her not to charge us .He then insisted that he does not remember taking my reservation even though I had the email confirmation and then she changed her story and said that she didn't have any request in her computer . Bottom line STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!! I have stayed at several Quality Inn's when traveling,in fact that is the only hotel we stay at,but this was the worst managed hotel and poor customer service. Might I add the area on 13 st is pretty seedy not the best neighborhood.I would not recomend this place to an enemy!!!! If I could I would give this place no stars.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
qualityinngainesvill, Webmaster at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn University for your recent stay in our area.

• The matter of your reservations being misplace is being looked into. I am very sorry that you experienced this sort of inconvenience; we are not in the habit of turning away valued guests.

• Front desk staff and manager received additional training in maintaining the reservation for our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn University. I think you will be greatly pleased. We shall look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.
tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was very pleased with my stay at this Quality Inn. It was located less than a mile from the University of Gainesville, Fl. where I had business to attend to.

The rooms were clean and modern, as was the bathroom. I was overly impressed the with the staff who were sincerely concerned with my comfort during my stay. The breakfast was an added plus and included prepared foods as well as the usual hotel grub.

Highly recommend for the business traveler in the Gainesville area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn University? Share your experiences!