“My experience with Regae Shack” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: PARKING IN THE BACK
Gainesville
“My experience with Regae Shack”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

The food was good but I think they can at least add a little more on the cabbage and the rice. The cabbage are cheap. Frankly, the cabbage and rice has no taste at all. For the amount of food you get I think they were over price. You figure the food is so spicy, at least you can have some ice cold water to drink. They only serve refrigerated assorted juices and tap water with no ice.
I don't know if I would go back, it does take a long time to get your food, so if you are hungry go somewhere else thats my suggestion.

Melrose, FL
“Reggae Shack is the best! Irie food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

Great food, good vibrations, nice family service. very authentic Jamaican home cooking. friendly! clean! tons of vegetarian choices with separate cooking areas! Jerk Tofu is spicy! We eat here twice a week and have never been disapointed. TASTE!!!

Gainesville, FL
“Excellent food. Good prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

I first experienced their food at a workshop and I was hooked. I never would have visited this place had I not tried the food first. I wasn't sure it was a restaurant beforehand. I am glad I found this treasure! Excellent plantains!!

Florida
“Good Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

Just ate there for the first time. We both got the curry chicken and it was quite good and tasty. Staff was friendly, and it has the kind of laid back atmosphere that I like. Got a huge piece of coconut cake to go. I will have to go back and try some more things.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food, great price Dub style jah man”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

What a find in Gainesville. A longtime local turned me on to this spot. It looks a bit basic when you walk in and you may have to ask someone to wipe off the table, but the food and friendly staff make this place a winner. The fact that most entrees are less than $9 doesn't hurt either! If you love spicy food you must have the Jerk Tofu, it will blow your socks off, woof it down with lots of mango Aloe juice and you will be ok. There are also many not so spicy items for those more inclined to taste their food than sweat it out. The curries were great and the fried plantains better than most Cuban restaurants. Great place for vegetarians with many items to choose from. In addition to Aloe drinks there is also Red Stripe. With $20 you can eat like a king and have enough left over for lunch the next day, for $10 you will still be a king but have no lunch.

The staff is super friendly, and the tables allow you to manage any size group and make friends if you like. Place has about 8 or 10 tables so 20 to 25 people max out the place, but that was not a problem on a recent Saturday night.