“great stay, fantastic rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand

You added BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4200 Northwest 97th Boulevard, Gainesville, FL 32606-3742   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“great stay, fantastic rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The king room was amazing. Microwave, fridge, excellent living room with couch and lounge chairs. Nice size, excellent breakfast, friendly staff. The room was nice, bed comfortable. Breakfast had optional omlette station that was great. Kids loved making waffles and we all enjoyed the fruit, juces, and coffee. This is a mid range hotel that feel, runs, and acts like a high end resort. If you have to stay in a hotel, this one is worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here with my family this past weekend. My mother in law recently moved to Gainesville and my husband did some research and felt that this was the best of the worst hotels in Gainesville. There are some pros and cons with this hotel. The pro's - it has a very nice swimming pool and pool area. The breakfast is not bad. They have coffee available 24 hours a day and it is always fresh. The restaurant (bar) attached to the hotel has very good bar food. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Hotel is centrally located to highway and is easy to get around.

The con's - prior to my arrival I requested a non-smoking room which was going to be adjoining to our king size bed room for our kids. My son has asthma. Someone had smoked in that room. They were unable to switch rooms for me. The housekeeping gentlemen on duty was very kind to come and spray the room which helped a bit. The temperature in the room cannot be controlled although there is a thermostat. The air conditioning when it goes on can wake the dead. The bathroom was way too small. The housekeeping on staff on Sunday, 10/13/13 were so nasty. They were two woman cleaning the rooms. I requested towels because none had been placed in my room and they were rude and proceeded to say "those people in room 169 are the biggest pain in the rear." Mind you, other than making a request for a non-smoking room we had not complained about a thing. The fitness room was dirty. The machines were not clean. The wipe dispenser to clean the machines was empty.

Also, this hotel is not cheap so when you are paying more than $250.00 a night you expect a bit more than the Comfort Inn. Gainesville does not have many hotels to choose from so my guess is that this is the best of the worst. If you have other options go with those.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tallahassee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Staff was helpful, rooms were clean, hotel is close to interstate and not to far from downtown Gainesville, breakfast lacked hot meals. The restaurant food was good and not overpriced. Overall, the price and value of the hotel was great!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Thomasville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

It was convenient for the Florida gators game but that is it. The rooms are outdated. Lobby area is better maintained than the room. We could not check in until 4:00 p.m. They would not let us check in early, not even an hour early. As soon as we checked in, we had to head to the stadium. We did not have time to rest. The omelets for breakfast were not good either. The outside and lobby look better than the rooms. Some light bulbs were also out in the room. Beds were not comfortable either. I expected better. Looks can be deceiving.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am extremely picky when it comes to hotels, and never stay in Best Westerns, but this is what was available, so we booked it. I thought for $289/night, it can't be that bad! Was able to check into our room at noon on a Saturday. The front desk clerk was very courteous. All the staff were very friendly. This is a pet friendly hotel, which is also why we stayed here. Our room was clean, everything was new, no sign of previous pets. I saw the previous review about the mattress (again something I am very picky about) and my bed was great! The pool was fantastic. The Gator's Den sports pub was great too. I was worried that it would be loud at night after the Florida game, but didn't hear a thing! There is free internet. The free breakfast was just okay. The only reason I did not give it an excellent review, is that I think the price was steep. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingsport, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Had family of 6 for football game and reunion. Motel service for all areas was TOPS. Would definitely stay there again. Hospitality, service and facilities were excellent. Reunion banquet meal was good . Appearance and facilities were all I could expect. Would stay there again if I was there again. If I had to find one thing to say negative, it would be that it was closer to the university.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

X
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because arrangements were made for me. My practice has been to stay away from Best Westerns. However, the exterior and lobby really surprised me and I thought that maybe they had turned themselves around. Once I got to my room, yes, it was the same BW accommodation, so I will not voluntarily be returning. Glad I did not pay for it and by the way the prices this weekend were greatly inflated due to football events. Let me get to the positives. Check in was fine, staff were courteous. The king room was huge and had a bathtub, unlike rooms complained about in the review and the room the clean. Linens were clean and towels in good shape. The water pressure was good in the shower. Electrical outlets were in convenient places. The remotes were in a sanitized sleeve, the frig was a nice size and the layout of the room was nice. Though I did not use it, the pool side area really looked nice. Wi-fi was free though I chose not to use it. So with all of this, what makes me still not choose BW? The mattress was truly horrible! I barely slept all night trying to find a comfortable spot. It felt as if I were sleeping directly on bed springs. Another post complained about the mattress and I totally agree. For me, a bad mattress is a deal breaker. A hotel should get this one thing right! In addition, housekeeping should turn off alarms. Mine went off (and not a pleasant alarm) and it took some time to figure out how to stop the noise. Additionally many hotels are getting away from these bright LCD displays on the clocks right by the bed. BW Needs to do the same. Furnishings are drab. Walls are thin. Toiletries are budget quality. Breakfast is very meager continental. I chose not to eat there. Upon checkout in better hotels, I will often be asked if everything was to my satisfaction; but no one here asked. That cued me to the fact that BW just does not know how to obtain customer satisfaction. Training would help. I would have shared this with their management rather than post here. So in summary, I cannot recommend a stay at this hotel if either sleeping or eating is on your agenda.

Stayed September 2013