“Good catch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand

You added BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4200 Northwest 97th Boulevard, Gainesville, FL 32606-3742   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mississauga, Canada
“Good catch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived late afternoon without a reservation and were immediately offered a large room which we accepted. Upon closer inspection there are smaller rooms in the hotel, at a smaller price but we were happy with the room we had. Large, clean, comfortable. The hotel itself caters to small meetings and is thus much more spacious in the lobby area than most roadside hotels. They have a terrific outdoor pool and hot tub which we couldn't use because of poor weather but others were using the hot tub regardless. There is a decent restaurant attached, which is a good thing because nothing else is within walking distance. Front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. The only thing they might have done is tell us about the smaller rooms and smaller price, but perhaps none were available on this rainy night. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about the pricing for the smaller rooms vs. the larger ones.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. We do sell out quite a bit, and I'm not sure if that is the reason the front desk did not mention the other smaller room but I will make sure our front office manager covers the issue on his next training session with the desk. Have a great day, hope to be of service to you again. Ron.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hiram, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights while we were on a diving trip at the local freshwater springs because this hotel was central to our diving locations and 20 min from each of them.

(The Good): The hotel grounds and outside were appealing and well kept we noticed as we first arrived. The front desk clerk and staff seemed friendly and helpful. The hair dryer in the room we were given caught fire and burned up the first time we used it and the staff at the front desk offered us another room without hassle until that one could be replaced. Breakfast was pleasant (standard continental, yet for $3 extra an attendant would make a pretty darn good omelet for you which we tried and liked.) Pool area was clean and well kept. Bed Sheets were clean and smelled fresh.

(The Bad): The room was not cleaned thoroughly. Upon arrival we found hair clinging to the shower walls, the tile floor was gritty feeling and when I went to unpack my suitcase of clothes and put them in the dresser drawers I stopped because there were several wads of hair in the bottom (yech!!!) so I just left all our clothes packed in the suitcase. The carpets are stained and look dirty in our room.

Overall thoughts - I was able to obtain this room at a large discount through an online travel site so I'm not going to blast this hotel. They are doing a lot of things right here and it wasn't bad...not at all. We would stay here again for the price we paid. I would offer to the hotel management however that if they want to go from being average to great, that they upgrade the room furnishings, clean or replace the carpet and closely inspect the room cleanliness after the cleaning staff finishes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I will make sure our executive housekeeper is aware of your comments. They will help us with our training program within housekeeping. We hope to see you again. Ron.
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I was in Gainesville for the Santa Fe Spring Art show, and I believe this was the hotel they included with their mail out to artists. Not a good choice. The hotel carpets seemed dirty, and the room had a distinct odor. This is a pet friendly hotel by the way, which had I known....... Any way the staff did offer to move me but after setting up my tent I was just too tired to care. The bed was very soft and obviously needed replacing.

Now, the staff was helpful and professional. The manager responded to my survey response by saying thr hotel was due for some renewal, carpets and beds, and I appreciated his response.

The sports bar was excellent, food good and friendly service.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ron G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I am so sorry your stay wasn't excellent. The manager that told you the carpet is being replaced this year was correct. We will be replacing all of the hallway carpet this year as well as starting our room renovations which will include the beds. We are one of the only hotels that offer a performing arts and festivals rate in Gainesville. We hope to serve you again. Ron.
Prophetstown, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times, hoping to earn a free night soon. It is very pleasant, the restaurant is very good as well as the breakfast. We especially like the rooms and the separate sitting area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments. We hope to be your host and have you stay with us many more times. Have a great day. Ron
Winter Springs, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here many times while attending a horse show in Gainesville. Hotel staff always friendly and helpful. On every visit they have given us coupons for the Gator Den Restaurant which has always provided a wonderful meal. Rooms reasonably priced, clean, and comfortable. This is my hotel of choice whenever visiting Gainesville.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your great comments! We are hosting the Citrus Cup Morgan Horse competition this weekend and hope to host many more horse events. We hope you will stay here every time you need a room in Gainesville. If we ever forget the coupon for our sports grill, please feel free to ask the desk and they will be glad to give you one. Have a great day. Ron.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We loved our room. Very nice staff. Nice size rooms and a great shower. Will stay here again when we are in the area when we are anywhere close to this area. Our daughter in law loves the Florida Gators so she had to have her photo taken with all the Gator things around the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for the excellent comments. I will share them with the staff of the hotel. We also love*** the Florida Gators. The football team will be staying with us before every home game this coming season. Have a great day. Ron.
Chicago, Il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at this property in an upgraded suite with our dogs and paid the $20 pet fee. We have been very pleased before. This year, we were put in a room in the front of the hotel, even though we had requested a room in the rear and the carpet in the room was filthy. Is this the kind of room they are giving people with dogs now? I understand that not all pet owners are responsible, but what does the $20 fee go for? I would think it would be extra cleaning when necessary. Perhaps this was an old room in need of renovation, but for my total of $154.07 cleanliness is expected at a "plus" property. We stayed in room 335. I will think twice before booking this property again which is a shame. I really appreciate other amenities of the room (little living room, nice size fridge with freezer compartment, micro, flat panel, lots of channels, nice dog walking area with disposal bags.) Room decor is dated, but bed is comfortable. Housekeeping also needs to do a better job of cleaning in the corners and ledges, especially around the sink.

Room Tip: Be sure to check your room carefully before you accept it. Avoid room 335 unless they clean thoroug...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am so very sorry that you received a room that didn't meet your expectations. Every month we have a separate floor of the hotel's carpet shampooed. All of the hallway carpeting will be replaced this year. I will pass along your comments to the housekeeping executive to include in our weekly and monthly training. Again, I'm sorry your experience wasn't good. Ron.

Been to BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand? Share your experiences!