“Good food and pleasant atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 457 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Thank you for visiting Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille! A distinctively different menu, the food of Harry's Seafood Bar and Grille captures the essence of a city not only known worldwide as the birthplace of Jazz but also the birthplace of a unique style of cooking. We've taken the best of Cajun, Creole and Southern flavors infused with a current day twist to create some of our most popular dishes like Shrimp and Scallop Orleans, Grilled Chicken Baton Rouge, Crab Crusted Blackened Red Fish, Bourbon Street Salmon and French Quarter Beef Tenderloin to name a few.
Gainesville, Florida
“Good food and pleasant atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have eaten at Harry's a number of times. As yet I have had no unpleasant experiences and have fully enjoyed the food, good service and atmosphere.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Miami Beach, Florida
“That's Cajun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently, I was in Gainesville for a work related Conference. I heard that this North Florida college town had a flourishing restaurant & gourmet scene, so I was kind of excited. As I like to explore and promote restaurants that capture the essence of the city, I was the guy chosen to pick a place where staff, Board members and conference attendees should go. After calling and texting friends who lived in the area for a day, it was agreed that I ought to try out "Harry's Seafood Bar and Grille." In addition to being a place for doing business and entertaining clients, they are known to take the best of Cajun, Creole and Southern flavors and infuse them with current day twists to create popular Louisiana dishes.

When I called to make reservations, I was told that they didn't take them. This was unfortunate as it was on my checklist to secure a restaurant. However, upon talking to their manager on the phone, they were willing to be flexible and work with me. So that was nice.

When I walked in, the atmosphere was pretty nice for a casual chain. It was very cozy with primarily booths and soft lighting... both of which are attractive. Upon looking at the menu, I saw that they also donated $1 for every Po'boy purchased in February. The money is donated to the Florida Association of Food Banks, which is a partnership of 14 food banks that serve all of Florida. It is nice to see a restaurant that gives back to the community.

For appetizers, my table ordered the Mussels Saint Charles. These mussels were mixed with sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and white wine sauce. I usually like simple skillet roasted mussels with kosher sea salt and olive oil. This variation, however, had a pleasant Creole touch. We also ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes which were crusted with corn flakes, covered in both chipotle aioli and crumbled feta cheese.

For my meal, I ordered the Jambalaya. This is their signature dish and it is mixed with shrimp, chicken & sausage. Ideally, I wanted brown rice. However, all they had to accompany it was enriched white rice or pasta. The dish was HUGE, but it wasn't abounding with any complex flavor and it didn't taste as fresh as real New Orleans seafood. In fact, I had a suspicious feeling that much of it came from a tin can. I had to even add hot sauce.

My table was very diverse. Seated was a group of people with Chinese, Cuban, and Puerto Rican backgrounds. In spite of this diversity, EVERYbody was happy. The menu catered to this diversity with an extensive menu of fish, crab cakes, scallops, shrimp, ribeyes and tenderloins. Indeed, I was happy to have chosen a restaurant where nobody complained. Usually, there is always somebody that complains. Nobody did this time.

The waiter was attentive, pleasant and also kind of cute. He had this "Portandia" look to him.

Overall, it was not a bad experience; it was not a great one either. If I considered going back to this downtown restaurant and give them another try, I would like to try their Bayou Grilled Shrimp.

"When the taste changes with every bite and the last bite is as good as the first, that's Cajun." - Paul Prudhomme

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had the most wonderful time, when I had dinner here. The food were nothing short of perfect. The waitress was amazing, she was involved and competent. She even managed to make me feel young again, when she needed to see my ID, eventhough I do look as the 32 years I am.
This is the place to eat in downtown Gainesville.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melrose, Florida
“Downtown so hard to find parking but very pleasant atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

And the food is good. Our waitress was a hoot and we enjoyed her suggestions for food. They did have gluten free choices and we did have enough food to take home in doggie bags. Parking is not that easy but we did get lucky only because we were early for lunch. Nice place for something special.

Visited March 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Great food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

While visiting Gainesville for work decided to give Harry's a try since it was near our hotel. Very glad we did. Every part of my meal was great. The bread and flavored butter before the meal was warm and tasty. Then the entree was a creative "pot pie" that consisted of shrimp and crawfish with bacon and vegetables in a cheesy sauce topped with a sweet cornbread. It was wonderful! Then I split the Oreo beignets for dessert, and words cannot even describe how these tastes. It was possibly the best dessert I have ever had.

So as you can see the food was great. Our waitress was very nice and attentive. Also one of my coworkers has a gluten intolerance, and they had a whole menu he could choose from also and they even did some special prep on his burger.

So all in all, no complaints.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere