“Excellent Vegan Fare!” 5 of 5 stars

352-337-1188
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 461 restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian, Bistro, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Excellent Vegan Fare!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I understand why The Top's Sunday Brunch is so popular: it's worth it! If you're looking for wonderful veg-friendly food, this is the place. My family consists of a mixture of ominovores/vegetarians and vegans, so dining out can be a challenge. When we find a place that can accommodate all of our culinary requirements, we jump on it. My daughters are Gainesville locals and visit The Top frequently, but this was only my second visit, the first time for brunch.

The service was friendly and attentive, food was fantastic and the prices reasonable. I will definitely be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
Gainesville, Florida
“Hipster Heaven w/ Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The tiny little place was packed but we were seated relatively quickly. I had awesome bean cakes and corn nuggets. The entrees took a little while to arrive (probably because it was busy) but were delicious when they arrived. They pride themselves on being local and organic (maybe?) which might be the reason the food cost a little more. Overall, awesome experience!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Yes!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Definitely a great restaurant!! The atmosphere is awesome & very laid back. Not too difficult to park. Worth the wait & the money. This is definitely a must go if you're in town. They have a fun flavorful menu. I was very impressed.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gainesville, Florida
“Great Place, Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Several people have talked about parking being tough - definitely the case. Regardless, it's worth the search.

Visited April 2013
“Very good....again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I didn't really know what to expect on my first visit to The Top. I had heard that they had some vegan dishes and that the place was a bit funky (funky in a good way). I like places that are different, quirky, or eclectic, so I was anxious to see what they had to offer.

We were seated in a booth that was secluded in the back of the first section, and it was a nice, private spot. There were a lot of specials on the menu, but none of them appealed to me, so I ended up ordering the classic burger with fries (I've been in a burger phase lately). The burger came on a pretzel roll, so it was a bit unique. The topping were lettuce, tomato, pickle, and onion, and I added smoked, gouda cheese. The burger was very good and filling, and there were lots of fries. It was happy hour so I got a nice glass of Spanish red wine for only $3. My friend ordered scallops, but was brought a whole snapper instead. The waiter, who by the way was very friendly and helpful, apologized for the mix-up, and because the ordered still had to be cooked, comped my friend another drink, and a nice pieced of chocolate cake to share for dessert. We never complained, he just wanted to make up for the wait, so I thought the customer service was excellent. I can't wait to try it again, and maybe try something out of my comfort zone. As mentioned, parking is limited. Also, I don't agree that the employees are "hippies"; at least not in a bad sense of the word. It's a very unpretentious place.Yes, the employees are casual, and some have longer hair and/or tattoos, but I think that is a good thing. One can express himself and still be professional.

• Visited June 2013