“We Never Knew” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Durham, NC
“We Never Knew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Absolutely surprised when we checked in and the evening meal with complimentary beer and wine was still being served. In the morning, the breakfast hostess was absolutely outstanding, really understood the concept of excellent customer service. This wonderful attitude was also displayed by the housekeepers and front desk personnel.

We had never stayed at a Homewood Suites but will certainly do so in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Homewood Suites in Gainesville. We appreciate your feedback . We are very happy that you enjoyed our evening reception and our staff. We look forward to your next visit to Gainesville.

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I picked up a business associate and we sat in the breakfast area and ate. Fiorella was in charge the days that we were there, and she was outstanding!! She is the most personable, concerned and caring restaurant employee I've ever seen, regardless of the restaurant.

The hotel overall was excellent also, as were all the employees we encountered, but Fiorella merited a special mention.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff and Fiorella. Our team strives to ensure each and every guest is 100% satisfied. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we look forward to serving you again.
Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I reserved a ground floor non-smoking king suite 1 month in advance. Upon arrival a 6:30 we were given a 4th floor smoking studio!! Check in was 4 so I can't believe there was a mass arrival. They basically over booked the place. My sons asthma did not fare well with the bad air.
Desk clerk said there was a soccer tournament and hotel was full.
Breakfast was ravaged by all the soccer moms and kids. No clean dishes or silverware. We were lucky to get a piece of fruit from the so called "full breakfast.I was given $30 off my stay so they knew they were wrong. I was not told of the 100% satisfaction deal or I would have asked for a refund.

Room Tip: I would call ahead to be sure you get the room you reserved . Better yet, go to another hotel. Gaine...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Cwgator64,

Thank you for staying at the Homewood Suites in Gainesville. I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for disturbances you experienced during your recent stay. I have personally met the front desk team and the breakfast staff. We have reviewed your concerns with room types, the flow of breakfast, and most importantly our 100% satisfaction. We appreciate your business and ask that the next time you are in Gainesville you stay with us to see our improvements.
Granger, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The walls between the rooms are way too thin. You will hear everything that goes on next door word for word -- tv, conversations, the person on the other end of a speaker phone conversation. I'm not a light sleeper, but even I had problems sleeping here. The one bright spot was the night manager on duty during our stay. He was very helpful. The lady that served the breakfast in the morning was a bit creepy though. I get that she was trying to be polite, but she was a bit too loud and intrusive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent trip to Gainesville. We strive hard to up uphold all the standards that Hilton in known for. In an effort to provide a comfortable stay, we will complete the recent renovation on the hotel by the end of this week. I apologize for the noise disturbance you had during your stay. I have shared your feedback with the staff and each staff member is committed to excellent service. Please consider staying with us again the next time you are in Gainesville, as we do appreciate your business.
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here so we could tour UF the next day. The hotel was fine, nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary. Check in was quick and efficient and the room was your basic hotel room. The problem we had was the beds. Very uncomfortable beds, we were exhausted and could not get comfortable. Most hotels these days have great beds, not here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at our hotel, your feedback is a huge contribution to our overall success. We apologize you found the beds uncomfortable. We are extremely excited about our renovation and new room package which will be finished in February and we hope you can enjoy during your next trip to Gainesville, FL.
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hilton properties tend to always have the best service available...but this property must not have received the memo. It didn't bother me that they were under renovation, what bothered me was that the service also seemed to be under renovation. Front desk didn't seem to care that I needed extra towels and wasn't helpful at all about dinner recommendations...cheer up sweetie your getting a paycheck. I overheard a female manager yelling at an employee at the front desk while I ate breakfast...completely unprofessional. I would have walked out if I were her, the manager needs to learn how to treat her employees before she has none. This place is a trainwreck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the hotel. It is a major priority for each and every staff member to utilize the standards of service that Hilton has established for us, including managers. I understand that this did not happen during your stay, and I would like to apologize for that. We have recently hired some new staff members and we will certainly emphasize the standards that need to be upheld by Hilton. And I can assure you, the current staff will revisit this training as well. Please allow us the opportunity to show you that we can be a great staff in service.
Fort Pierce, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After submitting a survey to Homewood Suites almost a week ago and still having not received a response, I felt I had waited long enough before writing a review. I booked a two-bedroom suite for a base price of $189 a night for 3 nights. Since it included breakfast (which I planned on using daily) and a small dinner on some of the nights (which I didn't plan on using at all), I didn't feel the price was too high. I was wrong.

My husband tried the breakfast one day only and told me not to bother. Although the eggs were alright, he considered the round grey alleged potato "things" labeled as Hash Browns inedible, and the bacon was so thin one could read a newspaper through it. (That is if I had received my daily newspaper like I was supposed to.) I had hoped that the breakfast would be on the same par, at the least, as the Hampton, however, he told me that was not the case. There are, however, some very good restaurants in the area and if you're staying here, plan on doing that instead.

Now the room. I'm glad we went with a 2-bedroom suite instead of a 1-bedroom suite and a sofa bed. The living room is so small that if one were to open the sofa bed, it would take up the entire room. This is not an exaggeration. The kitchen is even smaller--most likely less square feet than the toilet and tub area. Additionally, our kitchen was supposed to have twin burners, however, I couldn't find them. The remote for the television in the second bedroom didn't work--and yes, we did try changing the batteries. The ceiling fan in our room had two speeds, off and very, very slow. I got up on top of the bed to see if I could change this with the pull, however, it had no affect. Neither exhaust fans in either of the bathrooms functioned--not at all. Additionally, I had requested a quieter room inside the "L" as one traveler recommended and outside our bedroom window was the pool pump that ran day and night. Although there is a hot tub too, it was not heated during our stay.

After checking in, we discovered the dishwasher full and left a tip with a note to housekeeping to please put away the dishes. Their response was to just wash the dishes again as we had just arrived from the day out to find them finishing their work. As well, do not even try to run the dishwasher while there, it is extremely noisy.

Of all things, the scariest--and yes, I do mean scary--part of the trip was doing some of our laundry. With my husband and son leaving to go camping after our stay, this was required. Our last evening there, my husband went upstairs to the second floor to start the laundry and when he hadn't returned after a long time, I went to check on him. The second floor was in total disarray. A huge garbage bin almost blocked the entire hallway, wallpaper was ripped off the walls, all the light sconces were on and were hanging off the walls, attached only by the wiring. Many of the doors were ajar, some with lights on and some with them off. The only thing I could think of was the movie "The Shining"...it was that bad. I called for him and then finally found the laundry area behind a locked glass door. Needless to say, he ended up doing the entire laundry. We of course realized that this floor was being remodeled, however, we would have appreciated it if someone would have told us. The area was a major safety hazard with debris strewn about the floor and management should have taken it upon themselves to offer to take care of any laundry that required care.

Personally, I wouldn't stay here again. Too many issues with the room, housekeeping, safety, food quality, and price to make me even consider it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel is close to finishing our renovation. We apologize for all of the disruptions that you experienced. The renovation has been a challenging process and we want nothing more than a positive experience for every guest. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to discuss your recent stay. Your suggestions are extremely helpful. We look forward to your next visit to Gainesville and also look forward to sharing our new hotel with you and your family.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Homewood Suites Gainesville? Share your experiences!