“Stay far far away...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Miami, Florida
“Stay far far away...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hilton properties tend to always have the best service available...but this property must not have received the memo. It didn't bother me that they were under renovation, what bothered me was that the service also seemed to be under renovation. Front desk didn't seem to care that I needed extra towels and wasn't helpful at all about dinner recommendations...cheer up sweetie your getting a paycheck. I overheard a female manager yelling at an employee at the front desk while I ate breakfast...completely unprofessional. I would have walked out if I were her, the manager needs to learn how to treat her employees before she has none. This place is a trainwreck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the hotel. It is a major priority for each and every staff member to utilize the standards of service that Hilton has established for us, including managers. I understand that this did not happen during your stay, and I would like to apologize for that. We have recently hired some new staff members and we will certainly emphasize the standards that need to be upheld by Hilton. And I can assure you, the current staff will revisit this training as well. Please allow us the opportunity to show you that we can be a great staff in service.

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Pierce, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After submitting a survey to Homewood Suites almost a week ago and still having not received a response, I felt I had waited long enough before writing a review. I booked a two-bedroom suite for a base price of $189 a night for 3 nights. Since it included breakfast (which I planned on using daily) and a small dinner on some of the nights (which I didn't plan on using at all), I didn't feel the price was too high. I was wrong.

My husband tried the breakfast one day only and told me not to bother. Although the eggs were alright, he considered the round grey alleged potato "things" labeled as Hash Browns inedible, and the bacon was so thin one could read a newspaper through it. (That is if I had received my daily newspaper like I was supposed to.) I had hoped that the breakfast would be on the same par, at the least, as the Hampton, however, he told me that was not the case. There are, however, some very good restaurants in the area and if you're staying here, plan on doing that instead.

Now the room. I'm glad we went with a 2-bedroom suite instead of a 1-bedroom suite and a sofa bed. The living room is so small that if one were to open the sofa bed, it would take up the entire room. This is not an exaggeration. The kitchen is even smaller--most likely less square feet than the toilet and tub area. Additionally, our kitchen was supposed to have twin burners, however, I couldn't find them. The remote for the television in the second bedroom didn't work--and yes, we did try changing the batteries. The ceiling fan in our room had two speeds, off and very, very slow. I got up on top of the bed to see if I could change this with the pull, however, it had no affect. Neither exhaust fans in either of the bathrooms functioned--not at all. Additionally, I had requested a quieter room inside the "L" as one traveler recommended and outside our bedroom window was the pool pump that ran day and night. Although there is a hot tub too, it was not heated during our stay.

After checking in, we discovered the dishwasher full and left a tip with a note to housekeeping to please put away the dishes. Their response was to just wash the dishes again as we had just arrived from the day out to find them finishing their work. As well, do not even try to run the dishwasher while there, it is extremely noisy.

Of all things, the scariest--and yes, I do mean scary--part of the trip was doing some of our laundry. With my husband and son leaving to go camping after our stay, this was required. Our last evening there, my husband went upstairs to the second floor to start the laundry and when he hadn't returned after a long time, I went to check on him. The second floor was in total disarray. A huge garbage bin almost blocked the entire hallway, wallpaper was ripped off the walls, all the light sconces were on and were hanging off the walls, attached only by the wiring. Many of the doors were ajar, some with lights on and some with them off. The only thing I could think of was the movie "The Shining"...it was that bad. I called for him and then finally found the laundry area behind a locked glass door. Needless to say, he ended up doing the entire laundry. We of course realized that this floor was being remodeled, however, we would have appreciated it if someone would have told us. The area was a major safety hazard with debris strewn about the floor and management should have taken it upon themselves to offer to take care of any laundry that required care.

Personally, I wouldn't stay here again. Too many issues with the room, housekeeping, safety, food quality, and price to make me even consider it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel is close to finishing our renovation. We apologize for all of the disruptions that you experienced. The renovation has been a challenging process and we want nothing more than a positive experience for every guest. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to discuss your recent stay. Your suggestions are extremely helpful. We look forward to your next visit to Gainesville and also look forward to sharing our new hotel with you and your family.
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We recently stayed at the Gainesville location for the Thanksgiving weekend. Kenneth Johnson was so helpful due to our visit was due to the death of a family member and to spend time with relatives. Our reservations were mixed up but Kenneth was able to locate rooms for all seven of us so that we did not have to spread out and find another hotel. His superb customer service helped our family to relax and enjoy our stay during a difficult time. Flower was also very kind and provided words of comfort to me and my family and also made snack bags for us to take on our commute to the funeral. Sassy ensured that whatever we needed we made available in our rooms. Rosa was also very nice and kind. Management of the facility has placed the right people on board to ensure the customers are treated well. George Fort and Family of Jacksonville, FL really appreciate the way we were treated during our stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Front desk was understaffed but did a good job and got everyone checked in eventually. The first room appeared clean but the entry floor was sticky, and second room they gave me was very clean. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was well organixed and pleasant with helpful staff. This hotel could use some sound insulation. It would cut down on road noise in the outer rooms and reduce the sound of guests moving about, and children and pet noises.

Room Tip: Stick to the rooms on the inside of the "L".
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Destin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Kenneth Johnson at the front desk was extremely helpful, understanding and generous in accomodating us after we were booked for 1 night instead of 2. He was so professional and took charge of the situation, I thought he was a manager.

Room Tip: The food could be improved.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hendersonville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Did the exorcist stay here? The first two rooms we were given were completely trashed - clean but hide-a-beds open, all drawers open (kitchen, sitting room, bedroom, bath), bed pillows strewn across room. Only one staff person on duty and he was running ragged with a hotel full of guests needing attention. He finally found us a clean un-trashed room and promised to return our HH points. By the time we got an acceptable room they had stopped serving dinner so we had to get back in the car (after driving 10 hours) and find a restaurant. Breakfast at 8am the next morning was lacking - choice of 3 sugared cereals, waffles, sweet rolls, sausage, watery juice. Staff apologized that they had run out of other food. We have been loyal Hilton customers forever and love Hampton Inns. Decided to "treat" ourselves to a "suite" on this trip and are quite sorry we did.

Room Tip: For a good room I would try the Hampton Inn - also a Hilton property.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manager285, General Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your recent trip to our hotel. We appreciate all guest comments, so that we can continue improve the service and quailty we provide to our guests. The situations you addressed have been discussed with the staff and we are working hard to exceed our guests expectations. We invite you to stay with us again the next time you are in Gainesville to see our improvement.
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I spent four nights in this hotel while attending a function at the University of Florida. On extended stay, I prefer a suite hotel as it allows a feeling of greater comfort. I have stayed at this specific hotel on a number of occasions and have had positive experiences.

At the time we visited, there seems to be some problem with the upkeep of the room(s). We would leave very early in the morning and return early afternoon. We would then leave the hotel early evening. This routine was repeated each day of our stay. The room was never made up during our stay. I even let the front desk know we would be gone each day from 7 am to 1 pm. Consequently, any towel exchange fell to me taking the soiled towels to the front desk and asking for clean ones. I also had to request toilet paper and bathroom amenities on my visits to the front desk.

The breakfast facilities were to Hilton standards and everything served was to our liking. I like the location of the hotel, slightly off the major roads, but with easy access to University of Florida. It would have been nice to come back to a made bed, but even with that, the rooms are quiet and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manager285, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Lack of service is not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Our housekeeping staff has been notified of this and we will make the necessary changes to improve. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. We hope you will give us another chance if you visit this area in the future.

Been to Homewood Suites Gainesville? Share your experiences!