“Good food, good service, GO!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Gainesville, Florida
“Good food, good service, GO!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We have been to Pomdoro Cafe several times over the past few years, but are by no means regulars. We were looking for a place to celebrate a birthday, we chose Pomodoro and are very happy we did. The food was delicious. I ordered a grouper picatta -- wow! It was fresh and delicious. My wife ordered a vegetable pasta and was very pleased. Our son ordered a grouper putanesca, which was rapidly demolished. Before the meal the server brought a couple of loaves of bread with a delicious dipping sauce. I had also ordered a salad, which came with a uniquely tasty balsamic vinaigrette. All was delicious and the service excellent. I had been a bit concerned by a few of the recent reviews, but was definitely assured by the good food and service. I am happy to recommend Pomodoro Cafe.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Flanders, New Jersey
“Excellent value for good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We were recently in town for a softball tournament and ate food from here a few times. We went in for dinner one night to just grab pizza for the hotel but decided to stay and eat in. The dinner specials for $11 were a great value including soup/salad and desert. Two nights later we ordered a bunch of pizza's for the team. The pizza was pretty good considering we were in Florida (we are from northern NJ were good pizza is the norm). They run a buy 1 get 1 free deal all day every day. Again...a fantastic value. The next day for lunch we ordered sandwiches. Again buy 1 get 1 free, Chicken Parm and Eggplant Parm. Again...very good. The food is good but the value you get for the money is fantastic.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alachua, Florida
“Good Italian food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife and I enjoy Italian food so we like two restaurants in town. We like Manuel's Vintage Room for intimate dining but we like Pomodoro's for a place to take friends and family. We've been going to Pomodoro's for several years and always find it a pleasant experience. The food is very good; so good that we've never eaten any dish we didn't like.

The service is always good too. Recently the restaurant was packed and the wait staff was overly busy. Our waitress, however, was conscientious and didn't act flustered at all. (We didn't complain about the unusually slow service and when we finished our meal she gave us free ice cream. I guess some of the diners were giving the staff a hard time.)

The menu has a large variety of dishes with something for everyone. I usually order a calzone but I enjoy the variety of pasta, from fine spaghetti to larger kinds. (I don't know the names but I enjoy them.)
My wife likes decaffeinated tea so she once brought her own tea bag and ordered hot water. There was no problem with that. We explained to the waitress later that we weren't being cheap but that my wife liked decaf tea. "Oh, we have that too," she replied nicely. So, next time we didn't bring our own bag.

Pomodoro's is a good place for children to eat too. We took our six-year old grandson and, later, our four-year-old granddaughter and each ate almost a full child's order of pasta and sauce. Then, to top it off, they enjoyed a big sundae, included in the order. If you have a picky eater, this could be a good place to try.

The walls are covered with murals of scenes from Italy, a nice touch. The only improvement I can think of is to lower the music volume.

I recommend making a reservation on Thursday through Saturday evenings because they're usually pretty busy then. Pomodoro's is a good place to enjoy good Italian food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gainesville, Florida
“Very rude and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We were charged $7.00 for a cup of tea. When complained, we were told that because we asked for several tea bags, each bag of tea needs to be paid for. We were treated with extreme rudeness by the young manager. We travel a lot and have never experienced this type of rudeness at a restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent Real Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Pomodoro is an old favorite, but a bit out of our way way West on NW 39th Avenue. The service is first rate, the food is the best Italian in the area, and the ambiance is super. Friendly wait staff, tasty food, and elevator music that features not some pop-rock thump-a-tub, but Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Ella Fitzgerald intermixed with Italian pop vocals. Now that is class! The wine list is fine, as well. We recommend this if you are looking for Italian food in NW Gainesville. Worth the drive.

• Visited June 2014