“Fresh, local and delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 489 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American
Gainesville, Florida
“Fresh, local and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Mainly a burger and sandwich place now but that doesn't do it justice. These are really gourmet cooked entrees on a bun, with fresh local sides. Even that doesn't capture the just darn good eats you'll consistently get here . . . from the pulled pork sliders to the blackened catfish sandwich to the HUGE burgers, this is a cafe done right. Want a little more gourmet in your life, go next door to Mildred's or order the Mildred's menu for 10% off at New Deal! Bert Gill, owner/chef, is a Gainesville treasure. Oh, and don't forget the $1 off the great selection of craft brews during happy hour. The wife and I go here at least once a week and sometimes more if we need a lift. Sometimes it's a little warm or even smokey due to the open kitchen, but worth the bother. Just ask to sit in the back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cent FL
“Delish food and unique decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This could be my all-around favorite restaurant in Gainesville at this price level.

I've now been to New Deal twice; once for dinner and once for lunch and both times were very memorable in terms of fantastic food. I do not easily give a five rating for places that are not fine-dining, but New Deal earned it for their food.

While the decor is on the minimal side, the 70s, retro, game-show-esque New Deal Cafe signage on the outside of the building carries into the restaurant. The interior is smallish and there is sort of mod/70s feel inside with darker brown tones, basic bistro-style chairs, and these large, old-school, round, dome-like lights hanging from the ceiling. The decor, while minimal, made me feel like I was in some big-city cafe from the 70s (but the place doesn't 'feel' old at all). While the restaurant is clean, the chairs and tables are not always orderly and the tables may wobble a tad, but with the food as good as it is I just don't care.

On both visits I had two burgers and I'm getting wet at the mouth just thinking about them. The first time around I had the bleu cheese and bacon burger. The most important part-the burger-was thick and juicy without feeling heavy and greasy. It was served on a soft, fresh bun. The other highlight was the really good bleu cheese and bacon. It's so easy to just plop a cheap slice of overcooked, thin bacon and an insignificant amount of cheese on a burger, but thankfully New Deal didn't go that route. The bacon was really thick, cooked nicely and delicious and the crumbles of bleu cheese plentiful without being excessive. You could really taste all of the flavors of the toppings with each bite and they came together perfectly.

For the other visit I had the (I do not recall the name) burger. Whatever it was named, it was another perfectly cooked burger with plenty of melted cheese, caramelized onions and Russian dressing. It's the first time I've had such a burger and I already want to go back and get another ASAP. The Russian dressing was awesome and there was enough that it runneth over without drowning the burger. Again, the flavor of each topping came through perfectly balanced. Both times the burger itself was cooked as ordered-medium.

On both occasions my wife had the sloppy tempeh burger/sandwich. She loves it so much and this is all I hear about whenever I mention New Deal. I've also had a bite and it is very delicious for a non-meat option. I'm a burger-lover but I'd also gladly order one of these. The amount of sloppy tempeh really fills the middle of the sandwich and it's just flat-out great. We've always had sides of fries, which are also not overly heavy with grease and have a good potato flavor.

Service was fittingly casual but still attentive and on top of things. It's nice to have an open kitchen right there and fun to watch the kitchen staff prepare the meals. The staff seem to have a good rapport with each other as well.

Certainly not fine-dining in terms of the decor or the menu, but I love the kind of quirky, retro, big-city cafe feel. It's relaxing and casual and the food is some of the best for the price. Burgers are highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gainesville, Florida
“Plantains Make It Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent food and service. Had the grilled chicken sandwich with side order of grilled veggies. The chicken was great and made with fried sweet plantains, a white cheese and barbecue sauce. The plantains are what makes this sandwich special. It's a generous serving and we substituted whole grain toast in place of the bun. The veggies were a nice compliment.

• Visited July 2013