“Stay in Gainesville, Fl.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Indialantic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Always enjoy staying here, Paul, the manager and DeeDee(sp) front desk most friendly and helpful. Went out of their way to provide us with a menu from Domino's Pizza; delivered it to the room (menu)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We really enjoyed having you here and your comments on our staff are greatly appreciated. We were more than happy to help! Again, we thank you and hope to see you again soon.
Miami, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booked this through Travelocity under a "Promo" rate. When I opened the door to the room, I knew I was in low-end motel room that had a mild face lift to the front exterior. After seeing the room and bathroom, I felt the promo rate was too high for the room. It was small, carpet felt old and abused. I was only here as a rest stop on a longer trip, so got in late and went to bed, got up showered and left. There's nothing special about the location and feel like it's bordering the seedy part of town with other nearby rundown motels. But the AC did blow cold air but it was loud.

There is an Ihop nearby for breakfast. I didn't look to try the complimentary continental breakfast. I would not look to stay here again on a future trip. But this is my third 'less than great experience' in Gainsville. Seems I need to spend more for something a bit newer and cleaner. But I would not recommend this facility to a friend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed and found our recently renovated rooms not up to your standards. We are a budget friendly motel as reflected in the price you paid for your room. We are located 2 miles from Shands and 2.5 miles from the University of Florida. The majority of our guest are repeat customers that consist of University of Florida parents, alumni, visiting staff, Shands patients/family and they find our location convienent, beautiful and safe. If you are willing to pay more, there are many moderate to high end hotels available in Gainesville as well as a beautiful Bed and Breakfast district.
Lady Lake, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stay here once a week because my commute is so long that it is almost as cheap as the gas I spend for a round trip, plus I get extra hours of shut eye, which is important during a 13 hour shift. The rooms are clean, the beds are VERY comfortable (and new) and it is worth every penny. It is not a five star hotel (some of the trims are outdated/mismatched, despite recent remodels) but for the price, it is everything I need. The televisions are big, with HBO free, I think. There is a small coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, safe, fridge (no freezer) and microwave in every room. The bedding is nice, mostly new and pillows are fluffy. The towels are clean and fluffy, but if there was more than one person in the room, you may want to ask for more. There is free wi-fi also and free continental breakfast (I leave too early to have it, but think it's mostly cereal, muffins, toast, fruit, yogurt, coffee, etc). I really recommend them. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I did see a pool, it's small and clean, adequate, but like I said, I am only there for the comfy bed and hot shower in the morning. Also, the rooms are fairly quiet, road noise is almost non-existent. I cannot say how quiet it is when there are neighbors in adjacent rooms, as I have only had a neighbor once, and while I could hear some of the tv noise, that was it (in the morning I could hear their shower on, but ONLY when I was in the bathroom, not from the room). Air conditioners are standard wall mount, floor level units you see in many places. They can be noisy, but I think my brain likes the white noise because I sleep better with them on. Overall a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I have only stayed on the second floor units, and they have been quiet, no matter which unit I had.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. Here at Howard Johnson Gainesville we strive to ensure that all of our guest enjoy an experience that exceeds their expectations by providing a clean and comfortable environment as well as exceptional guest service. We really appreciate that you took the time out of your day to acknowledge our efforts and inform fellow travelers about your experience. On behalf of the entire team I want to say thank you for your words and your business and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Gainesville.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I researched all the hotel/motels in this part of Gainesville, and this one seemed to be the best choice based on reviews and a drive-by I did when I was in town. We were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room and the updated decor was nice. I wish that the tile/tub and especially the hardware had been updated, because even though it seemed clean, it looked very old and tired. I thought the same about the vanity area. Everything was functional, but a pretty, updated bathroom would have greatly improved the overall "vibe" of the room. The towels were very thin and not soft. Our A/C unit worked GREAT! We stayed there in August,when it was very hot outside, but our room was very cool. The unit was surprisingly quiet considering it was the traditional wall/window unit. The breakfast offered was modest, coffee, cereals, packaged pastries, apples, bananas, etc., but it is "free" and at least provides something for your tummy in the mornings. I would suggest to the management that they upgrade the pastries to include some fresh doughnuts or croissants, and a better variety of granola/cereal bars. I would recommend this HO-JO and will probably stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your feedback and letting us know where we can improve is very important to us. Our rooms have underwent a recent renovation as well as several of the bathrooms. We plan to finish the rest in the near future. We are glad that you were happy with the decor, air conditioning and finding your room to be clean. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you in the near future.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while doing business around Gainesville. It is away from traffic noise from the interstate, but still very handy to the university, interstate, and downtown areas. The staff was friendly, the area quiet, and the room comfortable. It is well worth the price if you don't mind the outdoor access. The accommodations are pretty standard, but my room included a refrig and a new high def TV. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property! We are glad that you were satisfied with your room, our staff and our location. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Been to Howard Johnson Express Gainesville? Share your experiences!