“great room, great prices” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Gainesville
Lady Lake, Florida, United States
“great room, great prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stay here once a week because my commute is so long that it is almost as cheap as the gas I spend for a round trip, plus I get extra hours of shut eye, which is important during a 13 hour shift. The rooms are clean, the beds are VERY comfortable (and new) and it is worth every penny. It is not a five star hotel (some of the trims are outdated/mismatched, despite recent remodels) but for the price, it is everything I need. The televisions are big, with HBO free, I think. There is a small coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, safe, fridge (no freezer) and microwave in every room. The bedding is nice, mostly new and pillows are fluffy. The towels are clean and fluffy, but if there was more than one person in the room, you may want to ask for more. There is free wi-fi also and free continental breakfast (I leave too early to have it, but think it's mostly cereal, muffins, toast, fruit, yogurt, coffee, etc). I really recommend them. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I did see a pool, it's small and clean, adequate, but like I said, I am only there for the comfy bed and hot shower in the morning. Also, the rooms are fairly quiet, road noise is almost non-existent. I cannot say how quiet it is when there are neighbors in adjacent rooms, as I have only had a neighbor once, and while I could hear some of the tv noise, that was it (in the morning I could hear their shower on, but ONLY when I was in the bathroom, not from the room). Air conditioners are standard wall mount, floor level units you see in many places. They can be noisy, but I think my brain likes the white noise because I sleep better with them on. Overall a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I have only stayed on the second floor units, and they have been quiet, no matter which unit I had.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. Here at Howard Johnson Gainesville we strive to ensure that all of our guest enjoy an experience that exceeds their expectations by providing a clean and comfortable environment as well as exceptional guest service. We really appreciate that you took the time out of your day to acknowledge our efforts and inform fellow travelers about your experience. On behalf of the entire team I want to say thank you for your words and your business and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Gainesville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I researched all the hotel/motels in this part of Gainesville, and this one seemed to be the best choice based on reviews and a drive-by I did when I was in town. We were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room and the updated decor was nice. I wish that the tile/tub and especially the hardware had been updated, because even though it seemed clean, it looked very old and tired. I thought the same about the vanity area. Everything was functional, but a pretty, updated bathroom would have greatly improved the overall "vibe" of the room. The towels were very thin and not soft. Our A/C unit worked GREAT! We stayed there in August,when it was very hot outside, but our room was very cool. The unit was surprisingly quiet considering it was the traditional wall/window unit. The breakfast offered was modest, coffee, cereals, packaged pastries, apples, bananas, etc., but it is "free" and at least provides something for your tummy in the mornings. I would suggest to the management that they upgrade the pastries to include some fresh doughnuts or croissants, and a better variety of granola/cereal bars. I would recommend this HO-JO and will probably stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your feedback and letting us know where we can improve is very important to us. Our rooms have underwent a recent renovation as well as several of the bathrooms. We plan to finish the rest in the near future. We are glad that you were happy with the decor, air conditioning and finding your room to be clean. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you in the near future.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while doing business around Gainesville. It is away from traffic noise from the interstate, but still very handy to the university, interstate, and downtown areas. The staff was friendly, the area quiet, and the room comfortable. It is well worth the price if you don't mind the outdoor access. The accommodations are pretty standard, but my room included a refrig and a new high def TV. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property! We are glad that you were satisfied with your room, our staff and our location. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I always stay at this hotel when we go up to see our son at Univ. Florida. We have stayed here now about four times. It is on a quiet street, very convenient to the school, and the owners and Front dest person, Denise, are great. They keep the rooms clean and the grounds are neat. Each room has a fridge and microwave. We asked for a new iron and got it right away. There is a small breakfast in the mornings that is perfect. Well worth the value.

Room Tip: We like the upper floors as they are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review! Here at Howard Johnson Gainesville we strive to ensure that all of our guest enjoy an experience that exceeds their expectations by providing a clean and comfortable environment as well as exceptional customer service. We really appreciate that you took the time out of your day to acknowledge our efforts and inform others of your experience. On behalf of the entire team I want to say thank your for your words and your business and we look forward to seeing you the next time to are in Gainesville to visit your son!
Meridian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Made my reservation directly with the motel and the lady that I spoke with was very helpful and a pleasure to talk with. The motel is two miles or so from the interstate but easy to find, located in nice area, and close to the college, shopping and restaurants. The motel is older but the grounds or nice and the rooms are very clean and well maintained. The staff is great!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

We appreciate your kind review of our hotel. We are delighted that you found our location convienent, our rooms clean and our grounds well maintained. We take great pride in providing exceptional customer service and your comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again the next time you visit Gainesville.
Edwardsville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

an older property that has been refurbished. a good value for the money. nothing special, but we were not planning on anything but a place to stay, sleep, and use as a launching pad for out visit. location allows easy access to the interstate and Gainesville. stayed in a king room with smoking. a/c is somewhat noisy, but did not keep me from sleeping. overall a good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Express Gainesville? Share your experiences!