“nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Seminole
“nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. The person at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The room was clean with updated decor. The bathroom war a little tired but was clean. My husband and I were in town to visit our son. We had a king bed that was a little soft for our taste, but was ok for a night or two. Nice place to stay at for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel during your visits to Gainesville and appreciate your kind comments. We hope to see you again soon!

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Overall a great value for the money. Originally planned for a single King room, but after moving my son into his new place the first day his new room was not ready to sleep in. I spoke to the front desk about a 2 double bed room instead and they were very happy to assist me. Breakfast was simple, but very good; coffee, juice, packaged sweet rolls, cereal, and fruit. Room was clean and the beds were comfortable with a good size flat screen tv.

Negatives:
1. There was a little mold growth on the shower curtain at the bottom and no tissues in the dispenser for both days.
2. Wi-Fi Internet was a little spotty. In room 223 the signal would drop out for no reason. I would have to leave the room and go out to the balcony or back down to main office to reacquire a signal. Was told that rooms also have a wired connection but I had left my cable at home.

I do have a few more trips planned for this area and do intend to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Gainesville. We were more than happy to accomodate your request for a room with two beds and we are glad that you found your room clean and the beds comfortable. We apoligize that you found mildew on your shower curtain and there were no tissues in your dispenser. This was unacceptable and I have spoken with housekeeping. I have also notified our internet provider concerning the signal stength. We appreciate that you plan to stay with us again during your next visit and thank you for providing us with your feedback
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

One night after visiting someone in the hospital, I needed a reasonably priced, clean and safe place to stay. I was pleasantly surprised to find this lovely little two-story Howard Johnson Express in Gainesville, FL. The rooms are spacious, well lit and clean and the staff is polite and friendly. They have free continental breakfast, Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV,fridge, microwave and other amenities. Ask about discounts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. The Hojo team greatly appreciates your positive feedback regarding your experience with us. We do offer a Shands rate for family members when available and we were happy that we could offer this discount to you. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review.
Davison, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

So Nice to see a property thoroughly recycled instead of abandoned, or worse, only partially done. The owners have taken great care to make this place nice, even tastefully done within the confines of the original walls. New carpeting, paint, equipment. Everything but sink and tub. The back of the bathroom door was like our mahogany dining table! Staff made our every need a priority, the price was excellent, and everything clean as a whistle. Exception ally comfortable bed!

Room Tip: First floor...no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you appreciated our recent renovations. We strive to provide our guests with clean, comfortable rooms that include a microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker and flat screen TV's at an affordable rate. We enjoyed having you as our guest and were happy to serve you. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon!
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here a week the middle of June in order to look for a permanent place to live. It is an older hotel but my king room was roomy, very clean, freshly painted, and the bed was really comfortable. The only negative was that there was no easy chair in the room. I did not request one. Flat Screen TV, free internet, small fridge, and clean linens and towels.I did not make use of the pool. The property was quiet and I felt safe while there, an important point for a single female. The price was very reasonable and I was given the extended stay rate without asking for it after my stay had to be unexpectedly extended. Breakfast was nothing fancy but sufficient (and free!). The Patels were professional but friendly and helpful, as were the rest of the staff. I would stay here again without reservation and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your relocation. We are glad that you found your room to be clean and spacious. I only wish that you would have mentioned needing an easy chair, I would have been more than happy to provide you with one. We strive to provide a safe, clean and pleasant environment at an exceptional rate. Your comments about myself and staff are greatly appreciated. We enjoyed having you here and hope that you find Gainesville as wonderful as we do! Thank you again for your kind review and recommendation.
SAUTEE-NACOOCHEE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I surfed TripAdvisor to find a cheap place to stay overnight. I took a chance on this one. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised to pull into a lovely (almost quaint) motel. Our room was spacious, bed linens clean (tell me you haven't found when some were not), and was stocked with a fridge, microwave, a safe AND a HUGE (32"?) flat screen!

We had more amenities in this "cheap" room than we did recently in a $200 per night hotel room in Savannah!

If you need to stop in Gainesville, FL, check this place out. You might just be pleasantly surprised, too.

• Stayed July 2013
Paul P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Gainesville, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. We are so glad that you found our location pleasant, your room spacious and clean and were happy with our amenities. Here at Howard Johnson Gainesville we strive to offer a comfortable stay at an exceptional rate and are glad that we exceeded your expectations. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Howard Johnson Express Gainesville? Share your experiences!