“Great BBQ and Excellent Sauces!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Florida
“Great BBQ and Excellent Sauces!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stopped in for lunch and the place is very woody looking. The waiter told us the tables were made from the original oak from the attic.
I had the the two meat combo, with the Ribs and Beef Brisket (3 bones and 3 generous slices of beef). The ribs fell of the bone, but were not mushy like some places. The Brisket was tasty and thick sliced with a substantial portion, not the thin rubbery stuff from Smokey Bones. Everything was cooked without being marinated in sauces so you can add your flavoring with their house sauces. This is another problem I have with Smokey Bones, everything is smeared in some sort of sauce.

They have a variety of sauces which were excellent.
Chipotle - Spicy and smoky
Some sort of Berry - sweet and tangy but BBQ flavored
Original - another sweet with no hint of berries
Carolina Mustard - Tangy with a vinegary taste

My favorites were the Chipotle and Berry sauces. The portions were generous enough that I had leftovers, even from lunch. Oh and I almost forgot, they serve a smoked corn which is cut straight of the cob - delicious!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I checked this place out last night with friends. The first thing I noticed was the atmosphere--cool yet sophisticated yet still laid back enough that you can dress comfortably. :) There is outside seating, both tables and booths inside, an open kitchen view, candles on tables, several beer options. Felt very much like a real smokehouse but with a freshness about it that attracts all kinds. The history is on back of menu and you can take a tour of the building after your meal. (There's a rooftop garden).

I had Beef Brisket with Mac n Cheese and Baked Beans. My friend had the Steak (huge) with collards. Each came with a sizeable hunk of Texas Toast. Food was great, plenty of food. You'll get a variety of 4 sauces (made in house) to enjoy with your meal. I had the mustard sauce which was awesome for this visiting North Carolinian. We did not get dessert but they had some tasty looking options.

A couple of downsides: They ran out of "Diet Coke". I've never heard of such of thing but that's what we were told. Our waiter was a little spacey; almost like he was new. He explained he only worked the lunch shift usually. :)

Will definitely be back here if I visit Gainesville again!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing Service Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Went with some friends and glad we did. Our waiter was AMAZING, like seriously. He was attentive without being annoying and offered up a lot of suggestions for different tastes.

We ordered the quesadilla, collard green spring rolls, beef brisket, ribs, and something else. We loved the quesadilla and the spring rolls. It was a twist on something pretty traditional and it totally worked.

Our friends loved the BBQ my husband felt that for basic, traditional BBQ it wasn't the best in town. I enjoyed what I got though. If you want basic, traditional BBQ maybe go someplace else. If you want to try some new and interesting dishes, like the spring rolls, this is the place to go. It's a huge menu, go nuts.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Gainesville, FL
“Huge Helpings of Good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I love BBQ, so we were eager to try the Smokehouse. We were not disappointed. The building itself is lovely. Everything is wood and leather and the windows are stained glass. We were dressed casually and fit right in. This would be a nice place to take a date, pleasant but not fussy.

We were seated right away and the service was quick and welcoming. We decided to share the Fire Pit Feast so we could try a little of everything: beef brisket, chicken, pulled pork, and ribs. We order the portion for two, but when it came, it was huge. (We had the leftovers for lunch the next day.) The friendly waiter brought four sauces, a VERY hot sauce, a mustard based sauce, the house sauce, and my favorite a sweet blackberry sauce. The Feast came with four sides, which were also served in massive amounts. We chose Gouda grits, sweet potato fries, white cheddar mac-n-cheese, and baked beans. The BBQ was very good. Everything was moist and flavorful, especially the brisket and ribs. I loved the mac-n-cheese and baked beans, sweet potato fries are sweet potato fries, but the grits were not so good. They had a weird texture and maybe Gouda and grits are a bad marriage. Otherwise, everything was great. The prices were very reasonable for the size of the portions and the quality of the food. The waiter was attentive without being overbearing.

The only complaint I have (besides the weird grits) is the music. There is a stage and there was a full band playing old rock songs and country music. The band was good, but LOUD. We couldn’t hear one another talk and at times the waiter was practically shouting. I don’t think an electric guitar with an amplifier is really called for. Still, we will definitely go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gainesville, FL
“Smokehouse is Smokin'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Great new restaurant in the heart of Gainesville's downtown dining/entertainment district. Wonderful atmosphere with stained glass windows, professional & attentive staff and an excellent menu which can be viewed online at www.SmokehouseDowntown.com. Smokehouse has a 14 foot long smoker on premises and casual dress is the norm. Although open for lunch and dinner the four of us opted for the latter and each had satisfying experience clearing our plates. The service was superb! The food was surprisingly reasonably priced. Live music on Friday and Saturday nights and you might prefer a table away from the stage area if you want to be able to carry on conversation. An overall excellent experience.

• Visited February 2012