“great location, great service, a little outdated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Gainesville

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Gainesville to your Saves list
The Lodge at Gainesville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3726 SW 40th Blvd, Gainesville, FL 32608-2349 (Formerly Cabot Lodge)   |
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Gainesville
Sarasota
“great location, great service, a little outdated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the Lodge to attend my son's golf tournament. This was our second time staying here. The service was great, breakfast buffet good, and the rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The fixtures and furnishings were a little dated, but the center area in the lobby is very nice. The Happy Hour is a great touch. This hotel is right off of I75 and next to all sorts of restaurants and shopping. For a college town hotel that is admittedly older, it is in good shape.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Teresa R, General Manager at The Lodge at Gainesville, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectations. I am always happy to hear that my guest enjoyed their stay. We strive to provide to provide excellent customer service and I am so glad that my staff treated you like family. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Teresa Roberson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Mason, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have stayed here a few times mainly due to location & rates. The rooms are so outdated & this time the room had an odor that was a cross between bleach & vomit. But interestingly the beds are very comfy & there is decent water pressure. Since our kids go to UF we anticipate coming back many times over the years & would really like to see improvements made.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. Without guest feedback some things could go unseen. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. I am a little cofused about your perspective of our rooms. We went through a four million dollar renovation 4 years ago where we gutted our rooms and bathrooms and replaced everything. We did choose darker colors because of our lodge like hotel. We do realize now that the darker colors make it look a little dated so we are following the Marriott brand and going with an all white package on our beds. I hope you will give us another chance to prove that we are the best hotel in Gainesville. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,
Sanibel, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is older, but fairly clean. The bathrooms have been updated. AC worked well. Quiet sleep. Ok beds. Outside pool was nice. The staff are super. Free happy hour. Free breakfast left something to be desired (small container of eggs/meat, cereals, krispy kremes, juice, packets of grits, fruit). This is an old school hotel, but the prices are fair and the staff are friendly. Not much could be done to improve the rooms except adding a fridge and the breakfast could use a reevaluation. If you're just traveling through it's fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I am very happy to hear that my staff welcomed you and treated you like family. We are an older hotel but with a lot of character. We strive to provide clean comfortable rooms with excellent customer service and I am gald that we were able to meet your expectations. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our breakfast. We use guest comments such as these to improve ourselves and are always looking for new items to refresh our breakfast. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I decided based on some reviews to try The Lodge. I am usually skeptical of non-national chain motels, and this didn't help that opinion. While the lobby and common area is quite nice, the rooms are very old with very low ceilings and dark furnishings that make you feel very claustrophobic. I had up-graded to a "suite", really just a slightly larger room, or it would have been worse. The bathroom was very small and not very clean. Although there seem to be some efforts at renovating, it would seem to be largely surface stuff, not a complete renovation. The happy hour is a nice touch, maybe they hope if you drink you won't notice the poor condition of the rooms. Breakfast was standard fare. There are plenty better motels in the immediate area. I suggest you try one of them.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, get an executive suite that has an outdoor balcony. That will let some...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. I am a little confused about your perspective of our rooms. We went through a 4 milliion dollar renovation 4 years ago where the rooms were gutted and all furnishings were replaced. We also gutted our bathrooms and redid them top to bottom. We do realize now that the darker colors that we chose for our beddings are now a little bit outdated as the hotel industry has all started going with an all white package in the beds which we are going through now. I really hope you will give us another chance to show you that we are the best hotel choice in Gainesville. Please contact me the next time you are in Gainesville and I will make sure you are in a room that meets your needs. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Many years ago we had stayed at this hotel when it was the Cabot Lodge. We were looking forward to reminiscing over old times during the happy hours in the spacious lodge lobby. We were pleasantly surprised to find the Lodge almost exactly as we remembered with the exception of new flat screen TV's that replaced the old console TV's. The staff was just as pleasant and helpful as before and the rooms were fresh and clean with the addition of free wifi in all locations. The happy hours were great with free cocktails, wine, beer and fresh popped popcorn. A comfortable location to unwind after a day of driving. In the morning they provided a hot breakfast with eggs, sausage, waffles and all the usual breads and pastries. We enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to stay another day and check out the city of Gainesville. We can't wait to come back and enjoy the Lodges hospitality again. A word of warning if you come during a UF Gator football home game weekend be prepared for huge crowds and hard to find hotel rooms otherwise it is always busy but not completely crowded.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I am so happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. I always enjoy watching our guests and their families enjoying our large open great room. We have a lot of guest that have been staying here for a long time that have alot of memories here. I am so glad that you found it be just as you left it. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I called & made this reservation as we were on the road & about an hour out. I reserved a king room with a rollaway bed ($10 charge) since they don't have pull out couches. Check in was relatively quick & the rollaway was delivered just a few mins after we got to the room. The carpet in our room was worn with some spots & a couple tears. The biggest issue we had was there was barely enough room to fold down the rollaway. The king bed was centered on the wall & not moveable so we were able to wedge the rollaway in between the wall & side of the bed but it still almost completely blocked the walk way to the bathroom because the wheels stick out farther than the frame does so the wheels stopped it from being pushed any further out of the way. So, one side of the bed was blocked so my husband ha to scoot to the bottom of the bed to get off plus there was only about a 1 foot wide space between the bed & refrigerator cabinet to get to the door or bathroom so that was kind of a pain. The bed was relatively comfortable, we have a Sealy iComfort memory foam bed at home so I don't think I will ever be able to give a hotel inner spring mattress a great review. :) We were on the second floor & had a balcony which was nice but the sliding door was from 1969, very noisy. We called down for more pillows after we came back from dinner & got settled & we were able to get them but were told we had to go to the front desk to get them. The towels were a little dingy looking, there was one really soft fluffy hand towel but the rest of them were pretty rough/scratchy.

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. Without guest feedback some things could go unseen. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We are an older hotel but have completely remodeled our rooms with new furnishings and double sided euro top mattresses. I hope you will give us another try. Please contact me personally the next time you are in Gainesville and I will make sure you are in a room that meets your expectations. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Davie, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Although I was warned by others that the hotel was run down, these others had not realized that the entire hotel was completely renovated and modernized (this was the old Cabot Lodge) . Very comfortable rooms, beds, linens and a very friendly staff. The happy hours attracted many people although I was advised by staff that they were all staying in the hotel. The only small negative is that the complimentary breakfast ends a little bit early for us late risers as I went down at 9:45 a.m. (breakfast is over at 9:30) and all that remained was coffee, some vanilla yogurt and a couple overripe bananas. Otherwise, the stay was great and the location was very convenient to UF and right off I-75 . Not quite at the same level of the Hilton Conference Center down the street, but a value at almost half the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Teresa R, General Manager at The Lodge at Gainesville, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thanks for takinng the time to post this review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide clean comfortable rooms with excellent customer service and I am so glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. I am sorry that you missed breakfast. As for the coffee we have made a change because of guest comments and I think you will like this coffee much better. Again thanks for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,
Teresa Roberson

Been to The Lodge at Gainesville? Share your experiences!