“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 SW 42nd Street, Gainesville, FL 32608   |
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, very clean, courteous staff.
However, no coffee pots in room and no breakfast-for the price I paid I would have appreciated those amenities. Also apparently very thin walls-a little noisy, but still ok.

• Stayed March 2013
i0257, General Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Gainesville, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear dpez48,

Thank you so much for sharing. It is always great to hear positive feedback from our guests. We are so glad to hear that you found our place to be "Nice, very clean and courteous staff". We will continuously work hard and hope to have a chance to serve you again in the near future.

352-336-3311

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at Red Roof for three days for a business trip. Red Roof was super convenient because it was within walking distance of the hotel my training was in (and less than half the cost of that hotel). It was clean and comfortable. Just a few minor things I was unhappy with -- the coffee was crappy (McDonald's is better and really close), the toiletries were poor quality, no free breakfast, newspaper or gym. Otherwise my stay was great, comfy bed, giant tv, nice desk, fridge and microwave and really close to many retail stores, grocery stores and restaurants. Seems like the best bang for your buck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
i0257, General Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Gainesville, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear JMP1987,

We truly appreciate you sharing your experience. It is so wonderful to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. Providing the nicest rooms with the best bang for your buck is our ongoing efforts. We hope to have another chance to serve you soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have not stayed in a Red Roof in since right after high school. That was when we didn't care about anything except road tripping somewhere new, for as cheaply as possible. I won't tell you how long ago that was but lets just say a long, long time! I was once again taking a road trip and needed a place to stay two-thirds of the way to my destination. I knew I was going to arrive late and check out early so I could not justify paying alot for a room. After seeing the positive reviews on tripadvisor and finding a great rate, I thought why not give this chain a try again. It was a very nice surprise after a long day of driving, our room was very clean! My favorite part was the room had NO wall to wall carpeting, only an area rug. I get whigged out at the idea of bedbugs and alway do "the check", no carpet just made everything seem cleaner. I hope other hotels follow their flooring decor. The only thing that I was at all concerned about was the mustard colored bedspread that had a black design, I wondered if it was as clean as it was smart looking. My hope is they keep this hotel up and looking the way I experienced it because I would like to visit it again someday and maybe stay a little longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
i0257, General Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Gainesville, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Themcgrooveyz,

We are so thrilled to hear that we have exceeded your expectation! Thank you so much for sharing. Reviews like yours always give us extra motivation to do a better job. We truly appreciate you and cannot wait to serve you again in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

After reading general reviews on the Red Roof chain, we were wary of the chain. However, we are Gainesville residents moving out of the area who needed a place to stay our last 3 nights in town...and most of the hotels were booked due to Gatornationals. I'd passed the Red Roof Inn hundreds of times and was always impressed with it. With good reviews online and a good price, I figured it was worth a try. So glad that we stayed here!

We had a FL resident rate but then upgraded (+$10/night) to a room with a king. Floors were laminate wood and spotless. The bathroom was clean and new. Nothing super fancy, but beyond our expectations. The bed was large, clean and comfortable. Free Wi-Fi in the room was definitely a perk.

Our room was 119, the closest one to the lobby and with a shared wall for the coffee/break room. We had guessed our room would be noisy, but we heard outside noise exactly once...when the person upstairs seemingly dropped his entire suitcase on the floor. Other than that, our room was completely quiet; we didn't hear any other noises from neighboring units, the room upstairs or the hallway. Considering that we were traveling with a baby, we were relieved!

The front desk staff was great and helpful as well. :)

My only minor complaints are the amenities provided by the Red Roof Inn chain. The little packets of shampoo are really small - ask for additional packets upon check-in. I needed 2 to shampoo my shoulder-length hair. I also wish they had regular tissue boxes instead of the small tissue packets on hand...our infant son and I were getting over a cold and could have gladly used the regular boxes! Despite these grievances, we would definitely stay here again. Great hotel, good price and awesome location.

Some tips for the area:

-AVOID Archer Road at all costs between 4:45 and 6:00 PM weeknights. This is known as one of the worst corridors in Gainesville, and you will get stuck in stationary traffic. There is an access road behind the shopping centers that locals use for shopping and to avoid the commute traffic. To use it, make a left out of the parking lot, go straight at the stop sign, and then make a right immediately after the Homewood Suites. If you go almost to Archer on this road, you will hit Best Buy, Trader Joe's and PetSmart on your left. If you make a left before Best Buy, you can take the access road to Wal-Mart, the Outback and stores further down the road.

-The shopping center immediately across from the Red Roof Inn has a Target (8 AM - 9 PM, I think), a large Publix (7 AM - ??). The shopping center behind that one has a brand-new Trader Joe's (8AM - 9 or 10 PM).

-Fast food choices and chain restaurants abound in this area, although the ones most easily walkable are Steak and Shake and McDonald's. We love Willy's Mexicana Grill (on the other side of Archer Rd) for a quick meal.

-If you're looking for a good local restaurant and are okay with a drive, Mexico Lindo is 5 miles away, on the corner of SW 75th Street and Archer Road in the Publix shopping center there. Dinners are around $8-10 for massive dishes, and the quality is great. They get crowded during dinner hours, but it's well worth the wait.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
i0257, General Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Gainesville, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear sankoji,

I would like to say "Thank you" for your detailed review regarding your stay and information you have shared with others. We are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed our superior king room and we have exceeded your expectation. We hope to serve you again when you visit Gainesville in the future!

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have not stayed at Red Roof Inns lately so this was a great surprise. Very modern with a new design, hardwood floors, upscale bedding - all you can ask for. Walking distance to McDonald's, Target, and a shopping center. This will definitely be our stop in Gainesville from now on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dgryan1,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are so glad to hear that you loved our new modern rooms with a new design, hardwood floors and upscale bedding. We are looking forward to serving you again in near future.

Gemeral Manager
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at Red Roof Inn this past Saturday night. I was in town on business and just needed a place to stay for one night. The room was fairly clean (bathtub / shower could've used a little more scrubbing), it looked recently renovated with new sink, fixtures and laminate faux wood floors, which is so much better than carpet (in my opinion). There was a small carpeted area next to the bed. The outlet by the sink did not work, as in my flat iron's plug would not stay plugged in because the outlet was too loose. Next time I'll spend the extra $10 for a nicer place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
i0257, General Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Gainesville, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Madeline P,

Thanks for sharing your experience and recognizing our newly renovated product. We are disappointed to hear that we fell short meeting your expectation. Please accept my sincere apology. Providing spotless clean rooms and great customer service is our daily mission. We will continuously work hard to satisfy all our guests. Again, thanks for sharing and hope to serve you again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Booked this based on reviews after our preferred hotels no longer had availability. Room was fairly clean but smelled. We did report it, and could have moved to another room ;wish we had. Staff was friendly. Great selection of restaurants close by.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Cbryana,

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to serve you. I am so sorry that we fell short meeting your expectation. Sincere apology from all of us! We will work harder to satisfy all of our guests' needs. Again, thank you for sharing and hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.