Save Saved
You added Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville to your Saves list
Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Ranked #12 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Tequesta, Florida
“Best in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were in Gainesville last weekend for a 1 night stay. It was a football game day so hotel options in town were overpriced & minimal. I booked this hotel because the price did not seem to be overly inflated compared to some of the limited service properties in town....I figured for the same or similar price, might as well go with the full service property. At the last minute, I submitted a Priceline bid & was able to reduce my rate even further, which was surprising due to the business a Gators football game brings to town.

Anyhow, arrived mid afternoon & was very pleased with the location, the greeting by the front desk clerks & the clean, modern look of the property. Standard Hilton product, I'd say.

We did ask for double beds but none were available which I understand it was not guaranteed so that was ok. We then ordered a rollaway & was told there may not be any left but we were lucky and one was quickly dropped off at the room. These issues are no surprise when there is a game going on & you can expect large groups to be occupying the rooms to capacity...if its not clearly guaranteed, you cannot count on a specific bedding set up.

Room was fresh but showed some damage in the way of a relatively small hole in the bathroom drywall, ink markings on the ottoman & stains on the carpet....I'd guess these are signs of the type of use this property gets by the abundance of partying fans that make up a large portion of the business here....it was no big deal to me, particularly at the reduced rate I was paying but I'd expect some would find this unacceptable....?

We enjoyed a couple cocktails in the lounge and service & prices were in line with what we expected. Drove a couple streets up to Archer to find some dinner & there was an abundance of choices.

In the morning, we were pleased to find complimentary coffee set up outside the restaurant and also noted that "Starbucks" was offered for purchase near the front desk for those that just can't live without the name brand stuff.

All in all, pleased with our stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good afternoon traveltina ,

I am Jason Keltz and I am the Front Office Manager at the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel. I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy day to tell us how great your stay was.

I want to apologize that there was some damage to your room. If you can email me at jason.keltz@hilton and include your room number so I can make sure our staff takes care of that issue.

Again, I thank you for taking time out of your busy day to let us know how your stay was. We all look forward to you coming back and staying with us again.

At your service,

481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Gainesville Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but we ate our Thanksgiving meal at the hotel in Albert's Restaurant. It was a buffet. The food was wonderful. There was many choices. There was a salad bar, appetizers, cheese and fruit platters, a dessert table, plus the meat, and sides. It was laid out in an orderly fashion. The cost of the buffet included the entire meal plus drinks no alcohol though. I would recommend to have reservations as they were super busy by the time we were leaving. The service was wonderful. I would definitely think about going next year.

Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Well this is our second time staying at the hilton. My wife and I are moving to gainesville and lloking for a place so we stayed at the hilton while we look for a house and our stay was nice there the place was clean and the rooms were clean and the beds were so freash our check in was easy and the staff was all friendly.... We went to alberts to eat breakfast bar there and I must say the food was outstanding. The manger there was friendly and outgoing, Wagee I think was his name and our server Dana was great she took really good care of us. If you stay at the hilton you have to go have the breakfast it was out of this world,,, Thank you hilton

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We booked our room through hotels.com and selected two full beds. upon checkin I was told that we were given one king bed. since I was traveling with my husband and two children that would not work, however I was told there was no other options, no rollaway beds and was offered blankets and pillows so that we could sleep on the floor. Mind you, my 7 year old is in a cast and my 4 year old had chronic asthma and currently had a respiratory infection. But it was already 9 pm so what choice did we have? We purchased an air mattress and begrudgingly went to out room. Finally settled and ready for bed, but the ruccous from the college kids in the next room went on until 4 am.! At this point I hadn't been offered so much as a free breakfast for my inconvenience. Obviously, the management at this hotel has no idea what it's like to be working parents who both work hard to afford these types of vacations. I'm tired, disgusted and disappointed with the Hilton hotel chain.

• Stayed November 2012
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Good afternoon Namccarth626,

First and foremost I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your recent stay with us. We try to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and based on your feedback you did not have the type of stay we want all of our guests to experience when they stay at the Hilton University of Florida. As for you not getting the bed type which you reserved, I want you to know that we make every possible effort to ensure our guests that book through a 3rd party that they get the request for the certain bed type that they wanted. When booking through hotels.com, or expedia.com, or any of the other 3rd party channels, bed type is not guaranteed but is based upon the hotels availability. In the future I would suggest that you book directly through the hotel and that way your bed type is guaranteed.
As for the noise complaint, we do want all of our guests to get a good night’s rest and when they stay at our hotel noise from other guests should not be an issue but this time it was. We did have a group that stay with us and whenever we have a large group stay with us we have a code of conduct that they are aware of and one of the codes is a certain level of noise that they are allowed to make. I can assure you that yelling in the hallway is a clear violation of that code.
I am sorry that when you brought up your issues to the front desk staff they did not try to make it right for you and I can assure you that I will speak with each of them and share your comments and that way something like this does not happen again. I want to make it right to you and if you do not mind calling me at 352-371-3600 ext. 1216 or email me at jason.keltz@hilton.com
I again want to apologize for the inconveniences you had with us but more importantly I want to thank you for letting us know how we could have done a better job at making your stay more enjoyable. I hope that you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Winter Haven, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had a one night stay at this hotel in Gainesville FL. Overall this hotel is a nice place. Good parking at no charge, many handicapped parking spots, very good restaurant. We stayed in a king room on the 4th floor not far from the elevator. Te had difficulty with the locks on the room door constantly. The water in the bathroom sink would not go down. We had to bail it out with a drinking glass and our it into the toilet. We brought this to the attention of staff and they "made a note of it" but never suggested that we should change rooms. Hilton hotels are usually pretty good and we often choose them because we are Hilton Honors members and earn points. This hotel was very convenient for our business the next day and was the reason we chose it. We chose the room with breakfast package as it was the best deal offering. The full buffet was great and with lots of choices in food including omlet bar. People should expect that keys will work and plumbing will drain. Outside the elevator there was a large stain in the carpeting. This hotel needs to improve its quality control program. Would suggest that you check the room before you unpack. We were in room #440. This is a beautiful hotel but be aware.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We booked a room for 2 nights when our pup was having surgery at UF. We left after the first night because the hotel was horrible. The name "Hilton" is supposed to indicate the flagship of the corporation, and as an Honors member I can say that if this is what they think of their name maybe we will look further. Our stay....

...started when we arrived at about 10:00am. I realize that's a little early for our requested "early check-in" but wanted to let the desk know we were there and ask that they call my cell phone when a room was available since we had been up and on the road since 4:00am. The lady wouldn't take my number and told me I could just come back later. Thanks. Makes being a Hilton Honors member all the more special.

We then went to have breakfast in the dining room. Seated at a table with nothing (silverware, napkins, etc.) on it. Menus and coffee brought, still none of the above. The wife always like the breakfast buffet where, we were told, an omelet station would make whatever you wanted. After 3 trips, still nobody behind the "omelet station" so it was scrambled eggs from the steam tray. The cook and the waitress were basically disappearing acts. But she did stop by to drop the check off....half way through our meal.

The room. Probably the worst Hilton room I have ever seen. Filthy, stained carpet. Dorm-room furniture with mis-matching hardware. Room service menus stained with whatever, one dated 8/09 and one 9/10 and with different prices. Black scuff marks and chips on/in walls. Accumulated dust on furniture and in a/c vents. Dark mold in window and bath tub. And my personal favorite: the large pillow sitting on the armchair was actually sewn to the chair, so you actually had to sit so far forward that it was uncomfortable. What's next, padded walls and bolted-down furniture?

Even the elevators were filthy. One of them looked like someone had spilled some sort of dark sticky liquid in the corner and on the wall under the control panel. On our way down a housekeeper got on and stood right next to it, leaving without a word. From the looks of it, it had been there for a while (unless the liquid had the ability to grow a dust-like fuzz). The other elevators were only slightly better.

Finally the dining room/bar for dinner. We were told the dining room was reserved for a party that evening but could eat in the bar. Approximately 30 minutes later we noticed they were seating people in the dining room, obviously not a private party. We decided to play it safe and order hamburgers, which came on onion rolls (must have run out of hamburger buns and the like). And if you're any larger than the average-sized person I would recommend you avoid the low (as in LOW) chairs and tables in the bar area. Basically uncomfortable, with mediocre food.

When we checked out a day early the same lady at the desk did not even ask why we were cutting our stay short. Maybe she got distracted taking a private call and chatting on her cell phone, or has seen people usually leave early.

This Hilton property has major problems in basic hotel management and upkeep. These weren't small things that one might excuse as a once-in-a-while mistake or oversight. They speak to basic rules for cleanliness, attitude, and upkeep. Totally unacceptable.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good room, try somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good evening JimMcC,

My name is Jason Keltz and I am the Front Office Manager at the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel. When I read your feedback my stomach turned because we do take pride in ensuring that all of our guests are taken care of and based on your feedback we dropped the ball in multiple areas.

I have personally spoken to all of the Front Desk agents and retrained them that if a room is not ready we need to take down a phone number and rush the room so that way your wait time is not long, no one should have ever told you to check back later. I also shared your comments with every manager in the building and with every team member in the building as well.

What you expierenced with us from the time you walked into the hotel, to going to the dining room, and up to your room is something we never want any of our guests to expierence and I can assure you that we will use your feedback as a training lesson so that way this never happens again.

I want to more importantly thank you for your comments and sharing them with us so we can improve on what needed to be improved on. I hope that you will consider us again in the future and we can show what you expeirenced is not the norm.

I will like to discuss this with you some more if you would like. I can be reached at 352-371-3600 ext. 1216 or emailed at jason.keltz@hilton.com. I want to make this right for you and your wife.

At your service,

Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel
Dresher, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent two nights at The Hilton and thought it was the best out of the 4 hotels we've stayed out while visiting our son at UF. The room was nicely appointed, had plenty of outlets for charging our phones, computer and ipad. The beds were VERY comfortable. The shower was refreshing and best of all the towels were large and absorbent. There were plenty of hooks in the bathroom which was very convenient. We had a delicious breakfast in the dining room both days, the waitstaff and managers were very friendly and accomodating. The pool area was very nice as well. Overall a perfect stay and a hotel we will return to on future visits to Gainesville.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville? Share your experiences!