“Hilton Should Take Its Name Off This Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville

Save Saved
You added Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville to your Saves list
Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1714 SW 34th Street, Gainesville, FL 32607   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Gainesville
“Hilton Should Take Its Name Off This Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We booked a room for 2 nights when our pup was having surgery at UF. We left after the first night because the hotel was horrible. The name "Hilton" is supposed to indicate the flagship of the corporation, and as an Honors member I can say that if this is what they think of their name maybe we will look further. Our stay....

...started when we arrived at about 10:00am. I realize that's a little early for our requested "early check-in" but wanted to let the desk know we were there and ask that they call my cell phone when a room was available since we had been up and on the road since 4:00am. The lady wouldn't take my number and told me I could just come back later. Thanks. Makes being a Hilton Honors member all the more special.

We then went to have breakfast in the dining room. Seated at a table with nothing (silverware, napkins, etc.) on it. Menus and coffee brought, still none of the above. The wife always like the breakfast buffet where, we were told, an omelet station would make whatever you wanted. After 3 trips, still nobody behind the "omelet station" so it was scrambled eggs from the steam tray. The cook and the waitress were basically disappearing acts. But she did stop by to drop the check off....half way through our meal.

The room. Probably the worst Hilton room I have ever seen. Filthy, stained carpet. Dorm-room furniture with mis-matching hardware. Room service menus stained with whatever, one dated 8/09 and one 9/10 and with different prices. Black scuff marks and chips on/in walls. Accumulated dust on furniture and in a/c vents. Dark mold in window and bath tub. And my personal favorite: the large pillow sitting on the armchair was actually sewn to the chair, so you actually had to sit so far forward that it was uncomfortable. What's next, padded walls and bolted-down furniture?

Even the elevators were filthy. One of them looked like someone had spilled some sort of dark sticky liquid in the corner and on the wall under the control panel. On our way down a housekeeper got on and stood right next to it, leaving without a word. From the looks of it, it had been there for a while (unless the liquid had the ability to grow a dust-like fuzz). The other elevators were only slightly better.

Finally the dining room/bar for dinner. We were told the dining room was reserved for a party that evening but could eat in the bar. Approximately 30 minutes later we noticed they were seating people in the dining room, obviously not a private party. We decided to play it safe and order hamburgers, which came on onion rolls (must have run out of hamburger buns and the like). And if you're any larger than the average-sized person I would recommend you avoid the low (as in LOW) chairs and tables in the bar area. Basically uncomfortable, with mediocre food.

When we checked out a day early the same lady at the desk did not even ask why we were cutting our stay short. Maybe she got distracted taking a private call and chatting on her cell phone, or has seen people usually leave early.

This Hilton property has major problems in basic hotel management and upkeep. These weren't small things that one might excuse as a once-in-a-while mistake or oversight. They speak to basic rules for cleanliness, attitude, and upkeep. Totally unacceptable.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good room, try somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good evening JimMcC,

My name is Jason Keltz and I am the Front Office Manager at the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel. When I read your feedback my stomach turned because we do take pride in ensuring that all of our guests are taken care of and based on your feedback we dropped the ball in multiple areas.

I have personally spoken to all of the Front Desk agents and retrained them that if a room is not ready we need to take down a phone number and rush the room so that way your wait time is not long, no one should have ever told you to check back later. I also shared your comments with every manager in the building and with every team member in the building as well.

What you expierenced with us from the time you walked into the hotel, to going to the dining room, and up to your room is something we never want any of our guests to expierence and I can assure you that we will use your feedback as a training lesson so that way this never happens again.

I want to more importantly thank you for your comments and sharing them with us so we can improve on what needed to be improved on. I hope that you will consider us again in the future and we can show what you expeirenced is not the norm.

I will like to discuss this with you some more if you would like. I can be reached at 352-371-3600 ext. 1216 or emailed at jason.keltz@hilton.com. I want to make this right for you and your wife.

At your service,

Jason Keltz
Front Office Manager
Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Dresher, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent two nights at The Hilton and thought it was the best out of the 4 hotels we've stayed out while visiting our son at UF. The room was nicely appointed, had plenty of outlets for charging our phones, computer and ipad. The beds were VERY comfortable. The shower was refreshing and best of all the towels were large and absorbent. There were plenty of hooks in the bathroom which was very convenient. We had a delicious breakfast in the dining room both days, the waitstaff and managers were very friendly and accomodating. The pool area was very nice as well. Overall a perfect stay and a hotel we will return to on future visits to Gainesville.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly staff. We were there on Halloween night for a family funeral in Gainesville . Our granddaughter had to miss trck or treat. The staff arranged for her to trick it treat in the hotel lobby. Very nice.

Rooms are large, clean and up to date.

• Stayed November 2012
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great hotel, very clean, nice staff, good area, everything you need they have, really a great hotel.

The only weird thing is the light switch in the bathroom was a little touchy. It seemed to work sometimes and not others, not sure if it was me or the switch.

Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here one night due to being a Hilton HHonors member. The hotel and rooms are great. And the lobby is posh and second-to-none. However, I am giving this place only 3 stars due to one of the *worst* front desk clerks I have ever met, and I have traveled all over the world, so that is saying a lot.
She worked during the day on Friday, October 26th, and I won't put her name here, lest it be removed. But Hilton should be ashamed of hiring such a lazy, rude, and useless front desk clerk. Many guests were waiting to check-in, even though rooms were ready. She should be hitting the unemployment line, if there is any justice in the world.
(by comparison, the next morning, the front desk clerks were awesome)
I most likely will never return to this location again, because of that one horrible person. In a hotel, the first impression you get is of the person welcoming you. She was someone who refused to take any action to help anyone, coming up with every excuse in the book. Terrible.
p.s.: The location isn't actually in the cool part of UF. You will need a car to get to the hip spots of W University Ave. If you're looking to walk in the fun parts of downtown, this is NOT the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HiltonUF, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear CanadianTimelord,

I first want to apologize for your experience at our hotel. I am deeply sorry that you did not get the service we want all of our guest to receive when they stay with us. If you can please email me at Jason.keltz@hilton.com so you can provide me with more details and I can address the issue you had with the front desk agent promptly. I thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know how we can improve our services as I hope you will give us a second chance so we can show you what you experienced was not the norm.

HiltonUF
Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Alright. I haven't stayed here for a few years. But it is a Hilton. I can rely on quality maintaining. Right? Wrong! This nice hotel right across from University of Florida has felt the depression. I don't mean economically speaking, necessarily; but as it would be defined by psychologists. Somebody in management of this hotel is depressed and that has filtered into how this hotel is maintained. First, the bathroom in our room: the tub is in a state of obvious disrepair - but nothing that some fresh calk couldn't fix. There is mildew between tiles and the curtain is also mildewed. The vent is full of dust and who-knows-what-else. And there was that dead roach by the bed... We went for the $15 buffet breakfast on Friday mining. No glasses out for juice. The omelette station featured empty condiment holders and the cook attempting to clean a pan that ha stuck- on egg with a dirty rag. I have been here 3 days and cannot bring myself to order an omelette. Then there are these strangely designed booths that look like they are encircled by mattresses. All in all, this hotel can be fixed with just someone paying attention. It can't be that hard.

• Stayed October 2012
Jason K, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear FoodKnight1
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel and I appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and daily operations. We appreciate your loyalty to us and to our brand and we're sorry we let you down. I can assure you that the health and safety of our guest is a top priority and we've work with a pest control company to rectify any possible issue. I've also talked to our housekeeping staff about our strict protocols for servicing rooms and emphasized the importance of a fresh appearance for our guests.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and we hope you return for much better experience.

Wagih William
Director of Food & Beverage
wwilliam@hiltongainesvilleuf.com
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I routinely travel to Gainesville for business and, whenever possible, I stay at the UF Hilton on 34th St. This hotel is meticulously maintained and I know that every detail will be attended to my fullest satisfaction. I also like that the hotel is a very short drive from almost everywhere in Gainesville, and right across the street from the University of Florida.

My typical stay is for one or two nights, in a standard king room, when available. The rooms are always spotless, and the beds and bedding are very comfortable. If time permits, I make a point to have breakfast during my stay, as the breakfast buffet is fantastic and the staff are very warm and welcoming. I also appreciate that almost every hotel employee makes it a point to greet me with a smile and ask how my stay is going. Whenever I have other colleagues in need of a place to stay, I always point them to the UF Hilton Conference Center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville? Share your experiences!