We booked a room for 2 nights when our pup was having surgery at UF. We left after the first night because the hotel was horrible. The name "Hilton" is supposed to indicate the flagship of the corporation, and as an Honors member I can say that if this is what they think of their name maybe we will look further. Our stay....
...started when we arrived at about 10:00am. I realize that's a little early for our requested "early check-in" but wanted to let the desk know we were there and ask that they call my cell phone when a room was available since we had been up and on the road since 4:00am. The lady wouldn't take my number and told me I could just come back later. Thanks. Makes being a Hilton Honors member all the more special.
We then went to have breakfast in the dining room. Seated at a table with nothing (silverware, napkins, etc.) on it. Menus and coffee brought, still none of the above. The wife always like the breakfast buffet where, we were told, an omelet station would make whatever you wanted. After 3 trips, still nobody behind the "omelet station" so it was scrambled eggs from the steam tray. The cook and the waitress were basically disappearing acts. But she did stop by to drop the check off....half way through our meal.
The room. Probably the worst Hilton room I have ever seen. Filthy, stained carpet. Dorm-room furniture with mis-matching hardware. Room service menus stained with whatever, one dated 8/09 and one 9/10 and with different prices. Black scuff marks and chips on/in walls. Accumulated dust on furniture and in a/c vents. Dark mold in window and bath tub. And my personal favorite: the large pillow sitting on the armchair was actually sewn to the chair, so you actually had to sit so far forward that it was uncomfortable. What's next, padded walls and bolted-down furniture?
Even the elevators were filthy. One of them looked like someone had spilled some sort of dark sticky liquid in the corner and on the wall under the control panel. On our way down a housekeeper got on and stood right next to it, leaving without a word. From the looks of it, it had been there for a while (unless the liquid had the ability to grow a dust-like fuzz). The other elevators were only slightly better.
Finally the dining room/bar for dinner. We were told the dining room was reserved for a party that evening but could eat in the bar. Approximately 30 minutes later we noticed they were seating people in the dining room, obviously not a private party. We decided to play it safe and order hamburgers, which came on onion rolls (must have run out of hamburger buns and the like). And if you're any larger than the average-sized person I would recommend you avoid the low (as in LOW) chairs and tables in the bar area. Basically uncomfortable, with mediocre food.
When we checked out a day early the same lady at the desk did not even ask why we were cutting our stay short. Maybe she got distracted taking a private call and chatting on her cell phone, or has seen people usually leave early.
This Hilton property has major problems in basic hotel management and upkeep. These weren't small things that one might excuse as a once-in-a-while mistake or oversight. They speak to basic rules for cleanliness, attitude, and upkeep. Totally unacceptable.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton University Of Florida Conference Center Gainesville Hotel Gainesville
- Hilton University Of Florida Conference Center Gainesville Hotel
- Hilton Hotel Gainesville
- Hilton Gainesville
- Gainesville Hilton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the Southwest corner of the University of Florida campus, in the heart of “Gator Nation”, Hilton University of Florida is the perfect spot for conducting essential business without missing out on the pleasure. This property has been completely renovated in the last three years, offers complimentary wireless internet in our lobby, complimentary parking, and a complimentray business center for guest use. A full service restaurant is available for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Two Bit's lounge or room service can make your day easier. Visit the Olympic size outdoor pool or our complimentary fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Venere, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.