“Ask for your check when the food arrives” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Gainesville, Florida
“Ask for your check when the food arrives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I have been going to flying biscuit every Sunday for the past year. The food is excellent and very consistent. Call ahead to avoid long waiting outside. My only complaint is the wait staff usually overwhelmed with customers. We typically go late usually around noon and it seems like it takes a while for a server to come to the table, bring drinks, and get the check. To avoid this, when the food arrives, we usually ask for a refill and the check so by the time we finish we can have the check ready.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

74% Recommend
miami
“Best breakfast spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I visited the Flying Biscuit for the first time this July. My sister had been many times and raved about it, but I was just not a big breakfast person. I finally went and I am glad I did! The atmosphere was great, the service was excellent and the food was delicious! I had the best pancakes I've ever eaten and everyone else at my table was just as satisfied. If you're in Gainesville, The Flying Biscuit is a must!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gainesville, Florida
“Set Your Expectations Low”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have eaten at the Flying Biscuit many times over the past several years and it has been an inconsistent experience, but recently, on Father’s Day, it seemed to reach a new low. I brought my family (my wife, my 2 year old twin boys, my father and mother) with some expectations of professional service and decent food. Our waitress, who shall remain nameless, did an exceedingly poor job, as did the hostess. We went from a lackluster disorganized greeting to apparent annoyance with our arrival (at approximately 8AM). After we were seated our waitress failed to bring us coffee for I would say 10 to 15 minutes and after watching table after table be served I approached another waitress about this. I waitress did arrive finally, as our food arrived, and said “we were brewing a new pot.” This was obviously not true, and regardless, no one should be making excuses. Anyway, not the end of the world and I’m a reasonable person. Then the food came. The eggs benedict special was terribly presented and tasted as bad as it looked. The French toast was not soaked. It was essentially grilled bread in sauce. The organic oatmeal pancake my twins had was a standard buttermilk pancake. My father also had the buttermilk pancakes and it looked much like anything a greasy spoon would serve: bland and terrible presentation. The biscuits and grits were quite good. Upon paying I gave the waitress my debit card and she asked for ID. So, let me get this straight, I was going to steal a card and take my entire family out on Father’s Day? I do appreciate her commitment to preventing credit card fraud. I just wish the Flying Biscuit cared about serving customers decent food without the thinly-veiled rudeness. Do yourself a favor and walk 100 yards to your right and get a pastry from Uppercrust. Those people care about quality and their customers.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton
“Not quite as good as the one in Atlanta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stopped here because we had previously been to one of their Atlanta locations. This one was a bit hectic and although we were the only people with a buzzer waiting for a table, the hostess acted like she had never seen us before when our table was ready. Then they sat us directly in the line of fire of the kitchen opening. Even our waitress was not sure where to stand to take our order. Not sure what this restaurant was before it became a Flying Biscuit but the table configuration indoors is not the greatest. However, the food was really good and we all enjoyed our meals. We are especially taken with their grits and the black bean cakes they call "Lovecakes". And my kids adore those biscuits. I am sure we will be back but maybe we will try sitting outside.

• Visited June 2012
Gainesville, Florida
“Very busy all the time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have eaten lunch and brunch here with friends. They were very busy both times and we had to wait 20-40 minutes each time. The menu is different. They carry more gormet items than other cafes in town. The cheesy grits are fantastic and so are the buttermilk buscuits. (I am a southern girl!) The chicken wrap is very good and a little spicy. The dusted potatoes are not my favorite, but my friends like then. I probably will not go again, becuase I do not care for large crowds and tight seating with lots of noise. Many people in town really like it, as evidenced by the large groups waiting to be seated each day, especially the 20-30 years olds. Try it once for yourself and then you decide.

• Visited May 2012