“Best Business Stay in Gainesville” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Members Save!
Ranked #2 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Miami, FL, United States
“Best Business Stay in Gainesville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is the only hotel I now consider for business stay in Gainesville. My firm spends a lot of time recruiting at UF, so the location -- less than 2 miles from campus -- is ideal. (And no running into students at dinner/drinks!) The downtown area is safe, and provides entertainment and food. The hotel is clean and quiet, and the staff make the visit a breeze. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HISGNV, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thanks so much for the excellent review on your recent stay with us. We're delighted to hear that you'll only stay with us when your business brings you to the Gainesville area. We look forward to seeing you again real soon. Thanks again!

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. It is impeccably maintained and staffed with great people. We stay at this hotel several times per year, during football season, and couldn't be happier. The hotel is situated downtown, very close to quaint shops, several lovely restaurants and an array of bars that would fit anybody's taste.

We are recurring guests, and as such, have gotten to know many of the staff members. They couldn't be any nicer and couldn't go more out of their way to make sure your stay is a great one. I can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff. Exemplary from top to bottom.

A few things to note (just in reviewing reviewers comments): (1) The location is right in the middle of downtown Gainesville. As with many downtown areas, there can be some "unsavory types" that tend to wander the streets from time to time. This has nothing to do with the hotel and I believe the hotel does all they can do to insure guests (and their guests, alike) are the only ones with access to the hotel - especially at night. In the evenings, the streets are alive with locals, college students and visitors, alike. I have never felt unsafe coming to/from the bars and restaurants - even late into the night.

(2) The pool is small - the location is very limited. I would describe it as more of a "relaxing" pool, by no means large and/or entertaining for small children.

(3) There is not an onsite bar/restaurant, but (a) the complimentary breakfast spread is always good and (b) there are more restaurants and bars within walking distance than one can imagine.

(4) Parking is next door in the garage. If you pull up to the front of the hotel - you will be assisted with parking (at least during "game weekends" - the hotel offers valet parking), including instructions.

Kudos to the staff. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: We usually a book a corner suite - HUGE and very, very comfortable!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HISGNV, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks so much for taking time to post a review about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Gainesville Downtown. We really appreciate our devoted Gator fans. Football weekends would not be the same without you! We LOVE having you here and look forward to your next visit!
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

room was very small, clean but small and the price was crazy expensive for the services offered. will not stay at this location ever again. there was no restaurant or bar. I should have done more research before making the reservation. I blame myself for paying to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks so much for posting a review about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Gainesville Downtown. We actually have a restaurant in the hotel, and they offer room service. I'm sorry that this information wasn't relayed to you. There are also numerous restaurants within a short walking distance of the hotel.
Atlanta, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Had a very pleasant weekend stay for a HS reunion. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean, comfortable and quiet, and when I forgot an item after departure they were very helpful in returning it to me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HISGNV, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks so much for posting a review of your recent stay with us. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and your High School Reunion! I'm glad we were able to assist you in getting your personal belongings back to you in a timely manner. We hope you'll visit us again the next time you're in the Gainesville area.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Considering the wonderful review I wrote last month about my visit to the Hampton Inn Baltimore Airport, even I myself am surprised by how aweful my stay was at this particular location. This trip was a church trip set up to accomodate a bus load of people from Orlando. Unfortunately I joined the group later as I had to attend a funeral that was three hours away. I arrived at the hotel late that afternoon and the first thing I noticed was the parking situation. It was really confusing and practically non existent around the hotel. After driving around the block I discovered a parking garage on the backside of the hotel. When I pressed the buzzer for the hotel to be let in, no one answered. I called the front desk from my cellphone and was instructed to take a parking ticket to be handed in to the front desk.

I was traveling with a seven year old and from the parking garage had to walk down a narrow alley to the main street to get to the front of the hotel. I think this is important for people to know this as there was a homeless man sleeping on the sidewalk just at the end of the alley as we entered on to the main street in front of the hotel. I was concerned for my safety each time my child and I entered and exited the garage.

Upon check in I gave my parking ticket to the front desk and explained that I was with the large church group. I was given a room key for the 6th floor. There was a long wait at the elevators as there was only two and the the church group was pretty large. One person took the stairs to the 5th floor and I myself with my child waited in line only to get to my room to discover that my key did not work as did the person who took five flights of stairs!!!

At other Hampton Inns were greeted professionaly and given a complementary gift bag upon arrival. When I asked for a gift bag I was quickly told that they were for "rewards members" only....

When we left for dinner later that evening the key did not work when we were exiting the parking garage. And when we re-entered we had to pull another ticket. This was given to the front desk upon our return; and yet again my room key did not work and had ot be reset. I left out again later that evening and also gave my parking ticket to the front desk. The following day just before checkout I received a call from the front desk telling me I owed $6 for parking that was not covered in the monies that had been paid by the church group.

By this time I was really disgusted considering I had been to the front desk five times in less than a 12 hour period. Three times to give them parking tickets and twice to get my room iey reset. No one ever explained anything to me about the parking situation. During check out asked if there was complimentary water available at the front desk, I was told no and charged $2. This hotel was not service oriented at all, although the manager did end up dismissing the $6 parking charge.

My biggest complaint with this hotel is the lack of organizaiton with the front desk. They made my stay extremely STRESSFUL and I could not wait for my visit to be over. On a positive note, the location is in the middle of a lot of restaurants and bars. The room was clean and adequate and the staff in the dining area was pleasant. Again I would not recommend for a family traveling with small children. The parking situation at times did not feel safe. I was a woman traveling with my seven year old and had to walk past a homeless person, down an alley, and up a stairwell to get to my car; not to mention all the drama with entering and exiting the parking garage.

Lastly I would not recommend this hotel for a large group. There was not enough elevators. A number of room keys did not work,the staff at the front desk were not friendly or organized, not to mention they appeared to lack basic knowledge about their own hotel. I travel alot and this is by far one of the worst experiences I've had. If it were just myself, perhaps I could be a little more forgiving...but I was traveling with my child. I dont have enough words to express my disgust with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HISGNV, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks so much for posting a review about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Gainesville Downtown. We love having you here and look forward to your next visit!
Richfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my second business trip to Gainesville, and I had such a great experience the first time that I didn't bother looking elsewhere. The hotel is very conveniently located near a list of great restaurants and bars. The room I had was clean and very comfortable. It had a nice desk for business travel with plenty of outlets. Couldn't beat the end of the work day happy hour in the lobby; the beer was ice cold.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for posting a review about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Gainesville Downtown. We're delighted to hear that we are your only choice of hotels in the Gainesville area. We love having you here and look forward to your next visit!
Sunrise, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Visited Gainesville FL for a business event and found the Hampton Down Town to be perfect as my event was down town did not use my car walked to event, dinner and theater. Hotel was clean safe and value as adequate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown? Share your experiences!