“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
Fort Myers, Florida
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Of course we had the nice big studio suite we have become accustomed to at Residence Inn. The location is not pretty, between I-75 and some storage sheds, but it is very close to the University Museum complex which was important for us. There is also lots of shopping and restaurant choices within a mile at the exit. Our main disappointment was the breakfast. It just did not seem quite as good as what we have experienced at other Residence Inns, or even Hampton Inns. Maybe the staff got a bad start on the day or something, but it was poor both days we ate there.

I agree with the comment to ask for a room at the back. No sense in taking on the noise of I-75. In the back, it really was not an issue.

Staff was all friendly and helpful. I would sure try them again and just hope for a better breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for the side away from I-75
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel in the last two years. It qualifies as your standard Marriott fare. Last time I thought the hotel was noisy because of the close proximity to I-75 (300-400 feet) this time I am sure of it. If you choose to stay here make sure you ask for a room at the back of the hotel,otherwise...be prepared to listen to semi truck traffic all night long! Breakfast is marginal, everything seems to have been pre-frozen and then thawed. The best items are the fruit cups and the yogurt, the coffee is tasteless...Marriott could do much better. Aside from those things, the hotel is ok, although at 150 a weekend night you might want to consider other venues.

Room Tip: Absolutely request back of the hotel away from I-75 noise!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I are relocating to Gainesville FL and stayed twice recently at the Gainesville Residence Inn. It was a great choice for our extended stay and we were quite comfortable in our spacious suite. Having a kitchen to cook in, laundry area and workout space provided a little bit of home away from home. We enjoyed the great breakfast and evening social not to mention terrific customer service from manager David and his staff. We’ll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for a baseball tournament, so the hotel was busy during our stay. That said, the hotel was nicely made, but they did not seem to be maintaining it. Also the cleaning was minimal at best. We also had an issue with maintenance. The bathroom light did not work, and it took two days to get it repaired. The room was quiet and comfortable except at night. It has the annoying motion detector on the thermostat, so it gets hot at night. The VIP override mode was being reset each night, so we were unable to bypass the system. The bedding was okay, but not exceptional. They do allow dogs, but most of them seem to have been on the first floor. With the teams staying at the hotel, the breakfast was not usable so we ate at a nearby McDonalds each morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MIAMI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

As Marriott Gold, we were very disappointed in this property. I had asked for first floor and got third. I was told no upgrades were available for gold members, yet when I checked the website a few hours earlier, there were plenty of available 1 b/r suites. Our room had no do not disturb sign.
Breakfast was a disgrace. It was served until 10am, yet when we got down at 9:30am, they were out of oatmeal, eggs and fruit. When I asked for some, I was told there was none available. After complaining to the front desk, they finally made some more eggs. Being Marriott gold at this property is a joke. They didn't even give us a bottle of water.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at this particular hotel this past Sunday for a swim meet at the University of Florida pool and had an excellent experience. Residence Inn is one of my preferred hotel choices for swim meet weekends because of the ability to cook in the room.

The night before my stay was a Gator game in Gainesville, so there was quite a bit of debris left by the outside trash cans when we arrived, but the inside of the hotel was spotless. They were still cleaning up from the heavy partying the night before when we arrived around one in the afternoon. The first room they gave me had a terrible smell to it, so I immediately went downstairs and they were able to find me a first floor room (my preference) with no foul odors thankfully. The room was clean and fresh looking with the decor of the newer Residence Inn renovations. The front desk staff was very nice about my request to change rooms. I have had hotels balk at switching my room, but I have the nose of a bloodhound and cannot stand off smells.

When we went to make dinner, I discovered the burners on the stovetop in the room would not heat my water to boiling after an hour of waiting. I went to the front desk again and they suggested using the two gas burners by the grill outside. The gentleman working the front desk offered to light the burners for me, but they worked the same as my home grill so I was able to light them easily. Being able to cook outside worked out well as I had two large gas burners to cook on with a large outdoor seating area right there. There is a lovely sitting area with a fire pit as well as tables and chairs.

The one problem I did see with this hotel is it has the smallest breakfast area of any Residence Inn I have been to. Also, the breakfast was not the best one I have seen at Residence Inn, but it was OK. Overall, the property is well kept, clean and the staff is very accommodating to guest’s unique needs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is my second time staying at the Residence Inn I-75 in Gainesville, FL. The rooms are very spacious with huge suites. I really enjoy the ability to stretch out and seperate the work from sleeping area. Each room has a full size kitchen and very large bathroom. The customer service was superb too. I really enjoyed the free breakfast and managers special in the afternoon. They even use the grill tomake fresh food in the afternoons. My only quirk would be that the beds are a bit on the firm side but the pillows are nice and soft.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Gainesville I-75? Share your experiences!