“Family-owned Italian Restaurant with Great Food and Nice Ambiance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Francesca's Trattoria

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 472 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Italian
Gainesville, Florida
“Family-owned Italian Restaurant with Great Food and Nice Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Although some entrees are pricey for Gainesville standards (in the mid to high $20s), the quality of the service and food is superior. More budget-conscious diners can still enjoy the cozy ambiance and good food without having to take out a loan...Francesca's menu does offer a satisfying selection of traditional pasta dishes in the $14 range. My son loves their white pizza which has a blend of ricotta, mozarella and parmesan cheeses on a hand-tossed crust (10" $9.50/12" $11.50)--no tomato sauce. A bowl of minestrone or pasta fagioli soup adds up to $5.95. My husband chose a seafood pasta dish called "pescatory" which included fish, calamari, shrimp, mussels, and clams in a spicy tomato based sauce--he loved it. Their eggplant parmesan is delicious with just the right blend of crispy breaded eggplant, sauce, and cheese. My dining party stayed chatting for hours after we finished our meal, but we were never rushed by staff. Our waiter was very friendly, attentive, and accommodating. As chain restaurants and stores increasingly replace local mom and pop businesses, it is particularly nice to be able to support a family-owned establishment with tasty, fresh, food in Gainesville.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Wonderful restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Our family discovered this place about 3 years ago and it quickly became our favorite restaurant in Gainesville. Friendly staff, wonderful atmosphere, delicious food - these are the reasons we love Francesca's and can recommend it wholeheartedly!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Wonderful Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

There are only a couple really great Italian restaurants in Gainesville worth eating at and this is one of them.

I have eaten there two times, the last being just two days ago. We had a party of four. We were seated quickly on a Saturday evening. The hostess was lovely. Our server was very nice as well.Which was the case the first time we dined there.

We were given the specials, one of them was a gnocchi dish. I am very particular about gnocchi so I asked for a sample. They did give me a sample which is a very good sign at a restaurant. The gnocchi was phenomenal.

My cousin ordered the spaghetti and meatballs. Classic. The meatballs were excellent. Although I would have liked to see three instead of two for the price of the entree. They are not humongous so in my opinion three would be appropriate for the dish.

My husband ordered the Linguine with White clam sauce. Once again the dish did not disappoint. Very good amount of fresh clams on top and a lovely white wine butter sauce that drenches the linguine. Just fantastic.

My son ordered the cheese pizza for kids and asked for meatballs on top. They gladly accommodated the request. Very nice. Crust is just great, cooked perfectly.

Their garlic rolls are good nothing to rave about. Just standard garlic rolls but appear to be made fresh.

The only things that concern me with the restaurant, and not enough to prevent me to come back, are just pet peeves I have about restaurants in general.

1. If you want a salad, it is 3.95 on top of the cost of the entree. In my opinion they should change the menu to be an "Al la Carte" menu because in essence that is what is is. Above the entrees they just tell you to "add on a salad for $3.95". I feel like that is sales technique. I would rather they just say it is al la carte.

2. I also feel like they overcharge for the wine. I would like to pay $6 -9 for a personal carafe of wine vs a half full wine glass.Not enough wine for what they are charging.

I can not wait to go back and try other things on the menu. I am sure I will not be disappointed.

Over all I recommend this restaurant "without reservation". No pun intended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My friend's choice for her birthday. I thought my entree was quite ordinary and very overpriced. When we ordered glasses of Zinfandel, I thought we'd pointed to the 'white', but we were served a deep shade of pink which turned out to be $9,00 a glass, rather then the $6 we were expecting.
When I want to pay top dollar, I so order. I will not be going back to this restaurant.

Visited January 2013
Deltona, Florida, United States
“The perfect mix of food, people and ambience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family has eaten at many restaurants throughout the years, and this is the first time in a long time we have had the perfect meal. The soups were delicious, the salads were crisp and fresh, and the entrees were outstanding. Our son highly recommends the tiramisu (he had three helpings!). Watching the regulars interact with the owners, you can tell this is a place where you are treated like family. We certainly were! From the dining room to the kitchens to the restrooms, it was obvious the cleanliness is very important to the staff. Speaking of the staff, they were exceptionally friendly, and they were very attentive without making us feel the slightest bit rushed. The piano player was a nice touch, too. We are looking forward to our next trip to Gainesville and our next meal at Francesca's Trattoria.

• Visited March 2013