“Happy to Recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Central Florida, Florida
“Happy to Recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We selected this property for its proximity to Shands Hospital and budget-friendly price. We were very pleased with what we got for the money! Fridge, microwave and desk in room, and a real hot breakfast! Room was quiet; no annoying noise from nearby I-75. The comfort and amenities were equal to what one would expect at a higher priced property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Gulf Shores, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

On our 1st stay we had issues. Manager Bruce asked me to try them again and he'd make sure everything was right. We did and I'm glad that we did!
The room, elevator, halls & breakfast room were spotless each of the 6 days we were there. Breakfast is good and you have many choices and its FREE.
We will be staying again in Feb. as this is convenient to Shands Hospital and its doctors.
The only negative I have is the girls on the weekend shift are unfriendly and too busy playing games or texting friends to even say "hello" to anyone. On the other hand, the week day crew is awesome!
Thank you Bruce for asking me to give you another try!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This Sleep Inn is very good. I like this hotel chain and try to stay at one. For the money this hotel is way worth it. Next time in the Gainesville area, I will definitely stay here. I stayed at higher priced chains and they are no better than Sleep Inn

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The room was fine but the common areas and breakfast area were not clean. Dirty counters, microwave, etc. Won't stay here next time. For the money, I've seen much better accommodations. First time at a Sleep Inn because of good reviews on tripadvisor but my experience was not great. Best to stick to a chain I'm familiar with.

Southampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Turning off the 75 after a long, long day, we saw Sleep Inn first, busy well lit car park, (good sign).
In reception a guy ambled across, saying we had made a good choice by stopping here. After some deliberation he asked for a $200 deposit against any damage !! He said that they might find a "cut in the carpet and such". Did we look like vandals? Two tired 70 year olds !! We left.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Recently stayed again had another great experience. Clean rooms and staff was very accomodating. Every employee This is my fourth stay and I have never been disappointed. I put this on par with the pricier hotels, however, the rates are reasonable at this hotel and the staff are always friendly. The breakfast was also very good with ample selection for everyone. You can't beat this hotel with easy access off I-75 and being close to UF, and the restaurants on Archer Road. Note: I recommended this property to friends and they also were extremely satisfied. I am confident in recommending this to anyone....even the pickiest who demand excellence beyond reason, like me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

This isn't our first time at this hotel, however, it will be our last. Our son is a student at UF and although we weren't overly impressed with our overnight stay during orientation last summer, the lure of a good rate brought us back. Upon check in, (after 5pm) they took some time trying to find a clean room. The room appeared fine at first glance. I will list a few items that contributed to my decision to stay elsewhere during our future trips to Gainesville.
1- The interior of in-room coffee maker was full of dust. Gross. Have no idea where it was stored prior, but clearly nobody cleaned it. If the 'free' coffee downstairs in the lobby had been fresh or hot, this would have been a minor inconvenience. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to monitor the free coffee, in addition to there being no hot cocoa packets, and no cookies.
2- Hair in the bed. Yuck!
3- Un-vacuumed carpeted floor. Disgusting.
4- Phone does not allow you to call front desk. (Is this on purposes?)
5- No bedding for pull out sofa. Went down to front desk (since the phone wouldn't dial the front desk), and the housekeeper was sitting at the front desk lounging. She then went back, grabbed a pile of bedding and handed it to me. Really? I just stood there holding the bedding. She says "oh do you need me to put the bedding on?" Um..no that's ok I got it.
6-Free breakfast. Set your expectations low. Powdered eggs, lunchmeat ham and styrofoam plates. I didn't expect gourmet, however, even my young kids had a hard time eating it. The coffee was at least hot in the morning, and the apple juice tasted good to my kids. The next two mornings we would plan to eat elsewhere for breakfast. It was also extremely crowded, and there were kids/tweens running around through the breakfast area wiping their noses and touching the food, etc. Yes it was "free", but not worth the time or effort.
7- Left in the morning and came back at 4:30pm. Room not touched...housekeepers nowhere to be seen. The staff's response was that they were busy and I should understand that each housekeeper at 18 rooms to clean that day. As much as I can sympathize with the poor folks having to put in a hard day's work, I quite frankly shouldn't have to worry about hotel staffing issues. I just asked for new towels and said forget it.

I paid $90/nt., and feel like this is a $59/nt hotel. We are pretty forgiving when it comes to a business that is truly trying to make an effort. My husband and I both have executive hotel experience, and feel like this hotel has dropped the ball big time. It's hard to overcome an aging hotel, cheap toiletries, and a picnic breakfast. However, cleanliness is a HUGE issue for most people and that's completely within management's control. We will not be back. Too many other options in Gainesville to try at that rate.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands? Share your experiences!