“Very impressed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin

You added Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1500 Miracle Strip Pkwy SE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Beaumont, TX
“Very impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

My boyfriend and I went on a quick trip at the last minute for business. On the way back we decided to stop in Destin for a few nights of leisure. We drove down the beach looking for a place to stay, but in Destin there were no hotels that had beachfront views. A guy there told me since it was wiped out by a hurricane a few years back, people started building million dollar homes along the beach. He advised us to drive down to Fort Walton and we would have more luck getting a beachfront view. We stopped at the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort. When I went in, the lobby was really nice. The employees were friendly. There were beachfront views available at $146/night.

There's another part directly behind the lobby that don't have beach views, and those rooms appeared more motel like (the room access were from the outside). Our room was in the back building which was more decent looking and the rooms were inside with elevator access. The view was astonishing!!! The room was nice and clean. The pool area was beautiful, although the pool bar was not open during the time we were there. There were two pools, one near the area our room was in, and the other near the less attractive part. Te pool near our room was beautifully landscaped, with a waterfall and a swim up bar (closed). However, the water was FREEZING. It was like ice and it was about 85 degrees outside. Nobody that attempted to get in that pool, could stand it. There were rooms whose balcolny area opened into the pool which I thought was nice, but no one was utilizing them. The other pool was a regular square pool and was heated, which was the one everyone was at.

We had a really good relaxing time. It was a good stay and a nice price. There were nice restaurants near (try Pandora's if you like steak). Only thing is I wish the pool wasn't so cold and the beach was beautiful but swarmed with jellyfish. I would definitely recommend!!!

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are really nice!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Alpharetta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Our vacation stay was June 5th - 9th. My family consisted of (3) adults & (9) kids and I can truly say that our stay was perfect. We had adjourning (3) adjourning rooms and they were clean, staffed with lots of towels and the garden location was perfect. This Hotel has several pools and a kiddie pool and the beach is a short walk. There is a hot tub and it really felt good, especially in the late afternoon. I will always stay at this Hotel. The BBQ stand in the courtyard served good food and the staff overall was excellent. One of our rooms were a little smaller than the others, but we reaaranged the tables in the room and it worked perfect. We've declared that this is our family vacation spot.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My fiance and I stayed there to attend a friend's wedding. The rooms are pricey, but it was on the beach and had a restaurant & lounge on site, so we booked it. We were pleasantly surprised by the grounds - lovely landscaping, seating areas all over, swim-up bar, Alvin's Island souveneer shop and tiki bar on the beach! Really great! We stayed in one of the older rooms and it was clean, but small and not updated. We don't spend much time in the room anyway, so it suited our needs - beds, iron, ironing board, blow dryer (wall-mounted), safe, etc. The beds weren't super lush, but they were comfortable. The carpeting & bedspreads are ugly, but, again, we didn't care about that. The room is small; probably too small for mom, dad and 3 kids, but the place itself is very kid-friendly. I saw that there were rooms that opened RIGHT INTO the pool (literally - door, chairs, pool - no railing, no sidewalk, just jump right in) and I would advise against getting a room like that if you have small children. Our room opened to the back of the BBQ hut (great barbecued food there and very friendly staff!) They showed an animated movie in one of the pool areas (I guess they show them Friday & Sunday nights during the summer) The board walk area, just down the beach, is also great!
I plan on returning with friends soon. When on vacation, we are willing to pay a little more for convenience. Staying here was similar to taking a cruise, except that the food is not free. If you like cruising, you'll like staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tupelo, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I was worried about booking with a Ramada since we usually stay at Hamptons because they are always reliable, updated and nice. I have just never seen a good Ramada. So here are my tips and review. Stay in the tower. We got a Gulf View Room and it was well worth it. The room was nice, better than I expected for a Ramada. Clean, neat and updated furnishings. The bedding was not the fluffy comforters you usually but I didn't mind because they are cumbersome to me. I preferred the bedspread. The bathroom did need updating but it was clean and everything worked well. No counter space to speak of but that wasn't a problem for us. The A/C was cold which was good because my husband likes it cold. The balcony was a nice addition as we woke up daily to an ocean view. If you sit on the balcony you will have to turn the A/C off because the exhause/compressor is right ont he patio and it gets hot with the air blowing out. The room TV was a flat screen and a good selection of stations. I did think the hallways need updating. You kind of got the feel you were walking through a bad apartment building. Everything was tile but I get that because everyone comes back to their room from the pool dripping water so carpet would not be a wise choise for a beach hotel. The lobby seemed to be the most updated as it was beautiful but who is going to spend time in the lobby? The cafe was ok. We did not eat breakfast. We did have one dinner there and I was not impressed. Overpriced to me and the food was not bad but it wasn't great for the price we paid. The beach bar was a nice addition as was the grotto bar. The pools were awesome. The grotto pool was my favorite. It was pretty and large-not heated but in the daytime who wants a heated pool. The other pool is heated but we only used it at night because it was heated. Access to the beach was so nice-just walk out the door. The grounds were very pretty and someone was always cleaning, trimming or sweeping. There is a bbq hut and a gift shop on the ground but the gift shop was pricey for towels and beach items so go somewhere else unless you want to pay $12 for sunscreen. We walked on the beach every morning and evening and it was so nice. The pier is close and you can fish off it-we just walked but had to pay $2.00 each to do that which was ok with us. There is a small boardwalk on the pier with restaurants, a gelato place and a few other small shops. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel, but like I said we stayed in the tower. The standard rooms are in a 2 - 3 story units on either side of the tower so I can't speak for those rooms and the quality. But I suspect that all the bad reviews here were from folks that did not stay in the tower. For the price we paid I would say we got more for our money here than if we had stayed had the Sheraton Four Points or the Holiday Inn Resort - I looked at those and they did not seem to have what the Ramada offered.

Room Tip: Get a room in the tower. Those are the best rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Nice rooms. Beach view are the best. I would request a walk up beach view or a swim up pool view room.

• Stayed May 2011
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Wasnt sure after paying high price for room is it was going to be worth it or not.....found all the activities of the hotel made the price worth it. I would recommend that paying $50 night more for view of the pool vs parking lot may or may not be worth it depending if you want to keep your window open. I wished I would have not paid the extra now since we only used the room to sleep. Wasnt happy with front desk when it come to being negotiable during check in. Hotel wasnt nowhere near full and was surprised that lady at front desk would have let me walk out over price. Other than that room was clean and location is great. Will most likely stay here again assuming can get a reasonable price. Breakfast buffet ($10 per person) was not very good.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Southport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Booked a room with Hotwire - just for a quick getaway at the beach and didn't have real high hopes - just as well! We were allocated a room on the ground floor on the car park, rooms are old and dated, clean enough but really could do with an coat of paint at least. Also the room is so noisy - noise from cars coming and going / people shouting and the music from the boardwalk boomed all night until about 4 in the morning. Plus point is the staff were pleasant and proffessional. We would pay more and stay at Sheraton down the road, because this stay was not value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin? Share your experiences!