“Got wrong room-no solution” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Islander Beach Resort

You added Islander Beach Resort to your Saves list
Islander Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   790 Santa Rosa Blvd, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
“Got wrong room-no solution”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked a room on priceline - room type: Partial Ocean View Room. Prime Ocean Front Property.
We checked in yesterday, but got room 267 in the Maui building, definitely no front property. When I showed my printed reservation where it says front property, the lady at the service desk said that this is misleading and she is sorry about that. Nothing more...too bad.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We just got back for the Islander this morning. We stayed in room 4006 and it was great. It was a newly remodeled unit and it was beautiful. Beach front, on the gulf, can't ask for more. There were 2 things that I'd change and one was they were painting the halls, floors, and doorways the week we were there. I know that's routine maintenance and it's nobody's fault so I'm not holding it against them. The other was that they removed their hot tub. The hot tub that we had read about didn't exist. Aside from those 2 things we had a fantastic time and will probably return.

Also, to give you an idea, there were 4 of us in the unit and we fit very comfortably.

• Stayed May 2013
Marriottsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is a nice, clean hotel, right on the water, with a kitchenette. it is a bit dated, but given the reasonable cost, beautiful beach, it really is hard to beat. It is a nice family place, used by the services on Eglin AFB, so you are pretty close to base, and still right on the water. You really are not "walking" distance to any of the clubs, but Destin is only a ten minute drive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I note several uncomplimentary reviews of this property. I must say I was surprised by their experiences. My unit was on the seventh floor. The condition of the unit was very good. You can usually find something that looks worn out or the paint is peeling. I found nothing like that in my unit. It was tastefully appointed with furniture in very good condition and the beds were very comfortable. The kitchen had very nice appliances and the extras such as the cookware were much better than I expected. There was a large balcony with what looked like brand new furniture (including cushioned seats in wicker rockers). If I had a complaint it would be that the two flat screen tv’s could be a little larger. I think you can tell when the owner puts some thought (and money) into outfitting these rental units for their guests and conversely you can tell when they are just after your money for as little outlay as possible. Our owner did a great job. PS- I wish they had a fitness center on site.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stay here for spring break. Rooms are expected as pictured. Did not get to stay in the rented unit and relocated to another room due to a broken furniture. Average on both studio units are small and narrow units. Building is old, needs TLC inside out and the whole nine yards. Dry walls are peeling top to bottom so expect it to be pretty dusty. Furniture is way outdated and or replaced. Some units are not suitable or safe for little ones. Location is great since its on the beach! Pool is heated but not maintained, no smell of chlorine. If it shows a picture of the workout room, that's pretty much all u going to see. Great price for a place on the beach if you don't mind all the other stuff.

• Stayed March 2013
Spring Hill, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have been vacationing in the panhandle for the past 39 yrs, most of the time 2-3 times a year. We are in unit 205. The air conditioner would not turn on upon our arrival. It was repaired fairly promptly. The furniture needs replacing badly. I can feel the frame of the faded, musty sofa when I set down. We have a 13" T.V., outdated. The floors are deplorable. Only one chair is on the balcony. The grounds are not well kept with trash all around. The good thing is, it is only steps to the beach. The beach is very clean. There is a clean 80ft. "heated" pool cold as icewater and no umberellas or tables. Several slats were missing from the blinds which makes privacy impossible since there is abeach walk for the public just outside our balcony. Just updating and a good deep cleaning and it would be nice . One of the few places I've stayed in lately with free beach service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had 3 adults and 2 children roam freely in the 2bdrm/2bth/sleeper sofa condo. I can't complain about the ample space or view in this condo for the money ($202/night). The deco was very nice for it's hayday in 1985 (blue/yellow beach cottage) I did expect a bit more of a thorough clean since a cleaning fee of $128 is charged separately from the room price. They provided plenty of towels, but un-true from what Hotels.com told me on the phone, they only provide you with one roll of toilet paper per bathroom and one wafer of face and bath soap. No shampoo, no Q-tips, no cotton balls, no kleenex, no lotion. I wish I had known that these items were not going to be provided or replenished. Fortunately, I packed extra just in case except for the toilet paper. However, there is a Tom Thumb convenience store just a block or two away for food, drinks, snacks, toilet paper, but, of course, for a higher price than what you normally would pay. The access to the beach is either around the building after elevators or thru the pool area to a beach boardwalk. We were happy with that. After check-in, we found a closet door unhinged and busted, a wobbly toilet in one of the restrooms, and tiled floor and carpet in need of a deep cleaning, and a leaky kitchen sink facet. Ceiling fans were in bedrooms and living area. Complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas were set out each sunny morning and removed around 6pm every night (2chairs-1 umbrella). Extra set ups were for a fee ($20?). The mattresses aren't premium, neither is the bedding, but it wasn't lumpy or stained and we brought our own pillows so sleep was ok. Something that was awesome was that they had a stack-able washer/dryer in the room, so whenever we came in from the beach with wet towels and bathing suits, we just threw them in the dryer. The unit had new quality appliances, washer.dryer, stove/dishwasher/refrigerator. They also provided 2 free DVD's per day that you can check out in a DVD kiosk by the elevator on the first floor. Some movies were old, some newer, some scratched - but it was a good freebie. Out on the balcony was a large table that could seat 6+ people if you wanted to dine outside. Overall, we were happy with the room and reported the deficiencies to the front desk upon checkout. If you get room 6007 and find these issues still there, I guess that just shows you what you can expect in the future. I'd recommend that you take dish and laundry soap, all of your toiletries and a hairdryer. Also, a roll or two of paper towels. They provide you with one dishwasher soap pouch, the rest of then are up to you. They also provide hand towels for the kitchen, a sponge and a fully stocked kitchen with dishes, utensils, pots, and glass bake-ware/mixing bowls, can opener, coffee pot and blender. I'd recommend that you take an extra non-stick frying pan. Cooking breakfast was a task with only one large non-stick pot. Our unit had a vacuum cleaner and a mop and a broom for us clean freaks who need to have a clean floor after tracking sand in from the beach. Over all, the facilities were well kept and maintained. Pressure washing and blowers were being used occasionally to upkeep the grounds. Bbq pits were provided off to one side of the hotel with picnic tables. The location is good for getting around in town and to take a 5 minute drive to Destin and the Harbor Walk Village where it gets hopping. The beach was very, very clean and the crowd was thin. I read that Fort Walton was favored for families who wanted to stay away from thick beach crowds and prefer the quiet and slow pace. That was very accurate.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries and bathroom tissue - you only get one roll and 1 wafer of bath soap. Bri...