“Outdated..needs TLC and the whole nine yards.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Islander Beach Resort

You added Islander Beach Resort to your Saves list
Islander Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   790 Santa Rosa Blvd, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
“Outdated..needs TLC and the whole nine yards.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stay here for spring break. Rooms are expected as pictured. Did not get to stay in the rented unit and relocated to another room due to a broken furniture. Average on both studio units are small and narrow units. Building is old, needs TLC inside out and the whole nine yards. Dry walls are peeling top to bottom so expect it to be pretty dusty. Furniture is way outdated and or replaced. Some units are not suitable or safe for little ones. Location is great since its on the beach! Pool is heated but not maintained, no smell of chlorine. If it shows a picture of the workout room, that's pretty much all u going to see. Great price for a place on the beach if you don't mind all the other stuff.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Spring Hill, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have been vacationing in the panhandle for the past 39 yrs, most of the time 2-3 times a year. We are in unit 205. The air conditioner would not turn on upon our arrival. It was repaired fairly promptly. The furniture needs replacing badly. I can feel the frame of the faded, musty sofa when I set down. We have a 13" T.V., outdated. The floors are deplorable. Only one chair is on the balcony. The grounds are not well kept with trash all around. The good thing is, it is only steps to the beach. The beach is very clean. There is a clean 80ft. "heated" pool cold as icewater and no umberellas or tables. Several slats were missing from the blinds which makes privacy impossible since there is abeach walk for the public just outside our balcony. Just updating and a good deep cleaning and it would be nice . One of the few places I've stayed in lately with free beach service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had 3 adults and 2 children roam freely in the 2bdrm/2bth/sleeper sofa condo. I can't complain about the ample space or view in this condo for the money ($202/night). The deco was very nice for it's hayday in 1985 (blue/yellow beach cottage) I did expect a bit more of a thorough clean since a cleaning fee of $128 is charged separately from the room price. They provided plenty of towels, but un-true from what Hotels.com told me on the phone, they only provide you with one roll of toilet paper per bathroom and one wafer of face and bath soap. No shampoo, no Q-tips, no cotton balls, no kleenex, no lotion. I wish I had known that these items were not going to be provided or replenished. Fortunately, I packed extra just in case except for the toilet paper. However, there is a Tom Thumb convenience store just a block or two away for food, drinks, snacks, toilet paper, but, of course, for a higher price than what you normally would pay. The access to the beach is either around the building after elevators or thru the pool area to a beach boardwalk. We were happy with that. After check-in, we found a closet door unhinged and busted, a wobbly toilet in one of the restrooms, and tiled floor and carpet in need of a deep cleaning, and a leaky kitchen sink facet. Ceiling fans were in bedrooms and living area. Complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas were set out each sunny morning and removed around 6pm every night (2chairs-1 umbrella). Extra set ups were for a fee ($20?). The mattresses aren't premium, neither is the bedding, but it wasn't lumpy or stained and we brought our own pillows so sleep was ok. Something that was awesome was that they had a stack-able washer/dryer in the room, so whenever we came in from the beach with wet towels and bathing suits, we just threw them in the dryer. The unit had new quality appliances, washer.dryer, stove/dishwasher/refrigerator. They also provided 2 free DVD's per day that you can check out in a DVD kiosk by the elevator on the first floor. Some movies were old, some newer, some scratched - but it was a good freebie. Out on the balcony was a large table that could seat 6+ people if you wanted to dine outside. Overall, we were happy with the room and reported the deficiencies to the front desk upon checkout. If you get room 6007 and find these issues still there, I guess that just shows you what you can expect in the future. I'd recommend that you take dish and laundry soap, all of your toiletries and a hairdryer. Also, a roll or two of paper towels. They provide you with one dishwasher soap pouch, the rest of then are up to you. They also provide hand towels for the kitchen, a sponge and a fully stocked kitchen with dishes, utensils, pots, and glass bake-ware/mixing bowls, can opener, coffee pot and blender. I'd recommend that you take an extra non-stick frying pan. Cooking breakfast was a task with only one large non-stick pot. Our unit had a vacuum cleaner and a mop and a broom for us clean freaks who need to have a clean floor after tracking sand in from the beach. Over all, the facilities were well kept and maintained. Pressure washing and blowers were being used occasionally to upkeep the grounds. Bbq pits were provided off to one side of the hotel with picnic tables. The location is good for getting around in town and to take a 5 minute drive to Destin and the Harbor Walk Village where it gets hopping. The beach was very, very clean and the crowd was thin. I read that Fort Walton was favored for families who wanted to stay away from thick beach crowds and prefer the quiet and slow pace. That was very accurate.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries and bathroom tissue - you only get one roll and 1 wafer of bath soap. Bri...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just completed our week at the Islander in room 3001, a 3-bedroom, 3-bath end unit with an amazing view. To start with, the unit itself was decent. There was nothing spectacular, and it was in need of a few upgrades (a cabinet knob in our bathroom was missing, a few dresser drawers were broken), but overall it was clean and suited our needs. The decorations also needed a bit of updating, but I am into interior decorating, so I may be a bit biased there. My husband and I stayed in the outer bedroom, and you could hear the garbage trucks emptying the dumpsters in the mornings, as well as people going up and down the stairs if they weren't quiet. The kitchen was decently supplied, although lacking a pizza cutter which I found odd! I read reviews that the exterior needed updating, and while I don't disagree, they were painting it while we were down there, and it wasn't awful, just some chipped paint where the salt and wind got to it (shocking that it would be like this at a beach!). Elevators were really slow, so if you are staying on a lower floor I would suggest the stairs! The pool was amazing. It was a great size with quite a few chairs so you were always able to lay out and get some sun if you wanted. As for the ocean...no other words to describe but GORGEOUS. The view was amazing, and we had some perfectly calm, clear days while we were down there. There was quite a bit of seaweed on a few days, but then a few days it was totally clear. Twice we were able to see 20 to 30 dolphins offshore and watch as they swam and jumped. There were sea turtle nests on the beach, and one couple we talked to were even able to watch the babies hatch and return to the ocean. The most irritating part about the beach was that you are only allotted two chairs and an umbrella per unit. Our unit could sleep up to 10 (we only had 5), but that means you could have 8 people without a chair, and you could only purchase additional ones for $6/day. I can see this if the resort is super busy, but daily we would go down and have to purchase an additional chair while multiple set-ups went empty all day and there were more chairs and umbrellas that hadn't been set up. We loved the area of Ft. Walton, although we spent quite a bit of time in Destin. It was convenient to restaurants, gas stations, souvenir shops, and grocery stores. I would definitely go back to Ft. Walton, but maybe to a different resort.

Room Tip: Look through photos before selecting a room!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I see a lot of reviews complaining about the resort, but I want to know what people expect for the price? This is one of the most inexpensive resorts right on the beach, we were in no way expecting luxury accommodations. But what we did get was a nice room with a comfortable bed, a small kitchen that suited our needs for the week, friendly staff, an unbeatable view, and the sound of the waves as we slept at night. Sure, plenty of things around the resort could use some updating (though I will say that our unit, 603, was decently updated). But, for what we paid, we were happy with the value we received and will absolutely return to the resort someday. We weren't there for fancy accommodations, anyway, we were there for some relaxation and beach time, and that's exactly what we got.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
decatur al
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked late and stayed in unit I-206 Coast Line View. This unit is in need of some serious updating. Patio Furniture needs to be thrown away. Kitchen is not well equipped. Outside Halls are filthy. Overhead Light on Deck fell while we were there. It was completely salt erroded. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Pros: On the beach, wifi, cable, pool. Cons: Run down property, dirty accomodations, poor quality beds, out dated decorations, minimal help from office staff. Currently typing this from a studio unit while my kids try to go to sleep, listening to loud music/partying upstairs after 10pm. Won't be back.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Islander Beach Resort? Share your experiences!