“Overbooked” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   573 Santa Rosa Boulevard, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548 (Formerly Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #9 of 30 hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Houston, Texas
“Overbooked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I booked a king suite-ocean view for two nights at the end of June. Wyndham hotel web site stated that check in was 4pm. We arrived by 3pm to check in and were told that they had a room with two doubles with an ocean view, or a king with no ocean view. She offered a 20% discount per night for our inconvenience. I pulled out my confirmation #, talked to the Manager on duty, asked what they were going to do... And the very nice front desk staff said they were sorry. I asked what I should do in the future and was told to call the hotel directly to confirm! Really??? Wow. We took the Two doubles with the view and told them to let us know when our desired room would be available on the next day. While sitting on the beach the next day, we chatted with a man who comes to this hotel once a month. He told us that this hotel overbooks by 14 rooms each night! I guess we were lucky to even get a room. As they told us they would, we did get a phone call the next morning stating that our original room type would be ready later that day. We ended up moving rooms, and it was work moving our belongings between buildings, waiting on slow elevators, and in the humidity- but we didi it. I would suggest calling to confirm to make certain that you get what you have reserved.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My single friend and I were pretty disappointed with our accommodation. The website did not portray it accurately. Negatives- room on 2nd floor with balcony next to very busy pool area and the busy walkway over the sand dune to the beach. So no privacy and no peace until late in the night. No view of the beach. We were both experiencing feet problems and we're not made aware of the other beach access without stairs. The bedroom (we had a room with a kitchen, no sharp knives and were told they could not furnish any, though the staff did offer to cut up the vegetables for us) was very warm and the phone was not working properly. I called the front desk several times from my phone. Positives- staff was great, always polite, particularly the maintenance folks. The room was roomy and aesthetically pleasing. Would be good for a small family trying to save money on food and they also offer free DVDs. I would not stay there again. Too noisy.

Room Tip: Above 2nd floor on rooms with kitchens and kitchen does not have everything you will need.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Panama City, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham, it has a lot of good perks like coming with free rental of beach chairs and umbrella.. bike rentals etc... however the rooms were a bit outdated, not what I would of come to expect from a Wyndham. The property itself is in a great location and well taken care of. We really loved that the hotel was quiet not surrounded by tons of restaurants (yet a short drive to lots of places to eat and shop). I guess our only problem was the rooms... It would be a good place for a family getaway but it's over priced in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGardenFwb, Director of Sales at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, today
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay. It is very important to us as it helps us improve our product and services. We appreciate your acknowledgement on our perks. We are confident this great value can seldom be found elsewhere on our island. We are getting ready to begin additional renovations on our property to further enhance the guest experience. We invite you to return in the near future to see how we are doing. We appreciate your business.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here 5 nights, first night we stayed in the 2 double beds room, but we asked for an upgrade as the room was kind of small for our family of 5, and they upgraded us to a suit witch was awesome!! 2 flat screen tv's full equipped kitchen, spacious, and best of all awesome view! They really care about you enjoying your stay, every day they have different activities for the kids, free umbrellas and movie rentals.
Every one working there always helped you with a smile and the guy at tikis bar was so nice and attentive, over all I will for sure go back next year and I will stay there again. Great hotel great service, LOVE IT!!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely appreciate your kind comments. Our staff constantly strives to exceed our guests expectations and it brings us great joy to be able to do so. We look forward to your return stay here at the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach.

Warm Regards,

Birch River, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Well, I don't really know really where to start. Stayed in building D(2queens,kitchen, ocean front.) First time that I have taken the time to write a review. Very disappointing stay, if you plan on wanting to sleep during your vacation, DO NOT stay here. You could literally feel every spring in every bed, walls are paper thin. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works in this hotel. Safe was broken, they tried fixing it three times and got it working enough so that we could lock or valuables in it sometimes(it would lock sometimes). Bedroom TV was all static, something was wrong with the cable that ran into the floor. We were told that they couldn't fix it and we just had to "deal with it" by stepping on the carpet in the closet a certain way. We have a 6yr old so it was important to have the TV at night.

Also rented at this hotel because they have washer and dryer you can use, well....it didn't work either, you had to go to a different building to use this service. Ice machine gave you half water/half ice. The light in the hallway that you walk into didn't work, we asked for all of these things to be fixed but none of them were ever fixed.

Last day! Checking out and go up to get my last bag out of the room and wouldn't you know it! The DOOR CARD READER WAS BROKEN! So here I am waiting on some one to come fix the door. They come up and do this and that and cant get it open. Luckily my wife left the balcony door unlocked so they decide to clime off the balcony onto the other balcony and get into the condo that way. I get my bags and run out of this place.

My wife goes to the front desk to check out after we get our bags, we ask them to make things right with us because of all of the problems that we incurred with the room. They basically told here to go fly a kite, then handed here a Trip Advisor business card and asked here to go online and write a review, but "leave out the bad stuff". Really?
They asked my wife to lie on Trip Advisor to make them look good.

All of this is really unfortunate, because we had a blast at the beach and will be back to that area. We will however not be back to this hotel/condo.

Well here is your review Wyndham Garden- Fort Walton Beach, Fl. Hope it is "good" enough for you!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel seems a bit over rated. Don't get me wrong, it has three perks (free dvds, nice pool, and free umbrella and chairs), but that's about it. We stayed in the family "suite" which was nothing more than a regular hotel room with a partition which completely cramped the room. We are a family of five so between all of our luggage lining one wall of the room and the partition on the other side we barely had enough room to walk. About 30 minutes into our arrival (11pm) an additional guest, A ROACH, decided to make his entrance. I called the front desk and told them about this guest. They said they would leave a message with housekeeping. Didn't offer me a different room or anything. I didn't even sleep that night! The room had an X-Box with one controller and no games. The bunk-beds were smaller than a twin. Thankfully my children are small or they wouldn't have fit in the beds. Needless to say, we won't stay here again. The breakfast "buffet" is way over priced for adults and I wouldn't even consider it a buffet because it was so small and had very little food to offer. Now on the other hand, it was very reasonable and cheap for the kids and they loved it. However,after the first morning we didn't go back to the "buffet." The hallways are hot and humid along with the elevators. The ice/vending machines are all on the first floor. I'm sure I can go on, but I'll stop here. Wyndham tried to make this a resort, but failed!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
WyndhamGardenFwb, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, I would like to express our sincerest gratitude for your feedback. It is very important to us as it assists us in improving our product and services. We deeply regret the inconveniences you were subjected to while staying with us and will address each situation to the best of our abilities.
We appreciate your recognition on our major perks: "free DVD’s, nice pools, free umbrella and chairs". I would like to add the complimentary paddle board lessons, free parking, free WiFi, and free children's activities program as additional considerations on our value.

Secondly, we regret our family room did not meet your expectations. These were designed to accommodate families with children by maximizing use of space and value. We will consider your observations for future improvements. Moreover, XBOX games are available for rent through the front desk at no additional charge to you. We sincerely apologize for the undesirable visitor. As you may know, Palmetto Bugs are common to this area and can sneak inside your room if the doors aren't completely shut. However, it is not consistent in our culture to not have offered you another room to move, therefore please accept our apologies if we did not do so. Please note that your comments will assist us in training our staff accordingly.

Lastly, we will be sharing your feedback with our restaurant staff for their consideration on pricing and future improvements. We appreciate your genuineness on the value of our property for children and families. As a last observation, please note that we do have ice/machines in additional floors besides the first. Based on your feedback, we failed to meet your expectations and deliver the quality service expressed in our consistent ratings. Please give me a call to further discuss how we can recover from this experience you've had with us. We value your feedback greatly and appreciate your business. We hope we are able to provide you with a better experience, should you chose to return to the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach.

Respectfully,

Wesner St. Vil
Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We only stayed two nights and we couldn't have stayed any longer. First, we paid extra for beachfront and when we checked in we had a third floor room over looking the pool. We could see some of the ocean. It should have been a partial beachfront room. We also told them it was our anniversary when we booked it. They did nothing. Not even a cute animal made out of towels with a congrats sign. The elevators are so slow as well. The rooms are so little I couldn't imagine staying there more than two nights. Small closet, only 4 small drawers to put your clothes. We had a king bed and the pillows were so small! Maybe twin sized?! Or smaller? The room we stayed in always had some kind of mildew smell and the carpet always felt wet. The comforter was a suede material. We didn't use it at all! As for parking, if you plan on going out and coming back any later than 10:30 good luck finding a parking place! I saw some people parked in the grass on the main road by the hotel. They can't control how the ocean or beach was but it was nothing but green seaweed everywhere. Also, we asked for two days straight to use the free kayaks but never got a chance to use them. If they only have two kayaks then, they need to set a time limit of about 30-45min. We did enjoy the pools. Music playing the whole day and it was refreshing. There were a lot of kids activities too. We did get to check in early and they did store some of our stuff that couldn't have been left in our car while we waited to check in. For around $270 a night I would have spent our money else where. Way overpriced!

• Stayed June 2014
WyndhamGardenFwb, Director of Sales at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is very important to us as it helps us improve our product and services. We sincerely regret the inconveniences you were subjected to while visiting our property. We are proud to offer a significant amount of oceanfront rooms ranging from floors 3-7 of the property. Overall, we regret the room did not meet your expectations. Moreover, as we strive to excel as the better value with most amenities, we have set reasonable time limits on the use of our beach equipment, including kayaks. Based on your comments we failed to meet your expectations and we sincerely regret it. We hope you give us a chance in the future to showcase how your feedback assists in improving our product and services. We appreciate your business.

Warm Regards,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach? Share your experiences!