“Old and outdated! Not worth price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin

You added Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   573 Santa Rosa Boulevard, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548 (Formerly Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
“Old and outdated! Not worth price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Rooms are old and dingy. Gulf front room was on 3rd floor and crappy view of ocean. Needs updated. Had to ask for towels, maids never came to room unless I called front desk. Put towels outside door, maids took and never brought new??? Shower leaked out on floor. Would never stay again, definitely not worth the price. Front desk friendly, but needs updated

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Missy H,

Thank you for the review of your stay. We are sorry to hear our staff services did not meet your expectations. We will review with the staff to avoid similar situations in the future. Please accept my apology on this issue. We hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this Holiday Inn for three nights and was disappointed starting with my checkin. I am a Priority Club Platinum member I was expecting to be upgraded to one of the better located rooms but was given a studio with a partial ocean view with a balcony in Building B that was blocked in part by another building. I inquired at my checkin if would it be possible to be upgraded to an oceanfront suite or I would be willing to pay additional and an employee named Danny said rudely that I was already being upgraded. The studio room was small for two people, bathroom the size of a closet, loud refrigerator and the outside A/C unit located four floors down was howling through the door. The outside A/C unit was so loud that we could not sleep. The next morning I called the front desk and spoke to the manager Danielle and she upgraded me to an oceanfront suite in another building. We found this room to be nice, great oceanfront location with a nice balcony. The large outside A/C unit located six floors down for this building was still loud and could be heard in this room but at least it was tolerable. The inside room A/C unit cannot be adjusted up so you either have to keep it on at the preset temp or turn it off. When I checked out, the front desk person could not of been more unprofessional. No thank you, no smile.

The positives of this motel are the location on the beach, the restaurant and bar. Free beach chairs and umbrellas are a nice touch and so are the unlimited free DVD movies. They also have 2 nice pools which are out of the wind for the most part. The negatives are some rude and unprofessional front desk personnel, bad recognition of Priority Club member's status, loud outside A/C units, preset room A/C controller, maintenance issues and very slow elevators. As a person who travels a lot and who is also a member of Marriott's rewards program, I am use to automatic upgrades to suites on every stay. If you are going to stay at this Holiday Inn, I would recommend asking for a room that is located far away from the huge outside A/C units in front of each motel building. These units are extremely loud and will be heard in your room non-stop. On a scale from 1 to 10, ten being highest, I would rate this property a 6.

Room Tip: Rooms facing ocean have less outside A/C unit noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Jim N,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the air conditioning and staff issues you experienced. We understand the discomfort this caused you. Rest assured that these concerns will be looked into. Again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at this motel in August 2013 and it is the noisiest motel we have ever stayed in. The Holiday Inn is old but well kept and has large A/C units on the ground in front of each of the motel buildings surrounded by walls to obviously try to muffle the sound. The problem is the sound from these huge units travels straight up and reverberates into the rooms sounding like a constant wind storm. We had a oceanfront suite on the 6th floor and the sound just echoed down the hallway making sleeping near impossible. I can't imagine how loud the sound would be in the rooms near Santa Rosa Blvd. would be. I now know why they gave you unlimited free movie rentals, to give you something to do while you cannot sleep. We would never stay there again even if the rooms were free.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the ocean as far as you can away from the sound of the huge A/C units on the g...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear WearySandy,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the inconvenience the noise issues you have encountered during your stay with us may have caused. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
prescott valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is directly on the beach and has plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We had a free DVD (similar to REDBOX) everyday which was great for down time. Didn't use the restaurant on site....lots of places to explore that are not too far, Helen Back cafe is on Okaloosa Island (great pizza). We chose this hotel because it is about 10-15 minutes from Hurlburt Field and about 20 minutes to Destin. The housekeeping is a little late in the day for my taste....but they were always pleasant and accommodating! I would stay there again!

Room Tip: The higher your floor the better the view....we were on the 5th floor and had a corner room. We were...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Very nice beach location. Rooms were nice but lots of maintenance issues such as drawers falling out of cabinets, torn shower curtain, and sharp weather stripping sticking from doorway. Two rooms had problems with tubs leaking water into bathroom or bedroom when shower is used.Told desk clerk, who did not seem to care. Also, no response from Holiday Inn customer service and did not get a customer satisfaction survey.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear MikePsy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. Our goal is deliver exceptional service to all of our guest. I am sorry that not everything measured up to your expectations particularly with the maintenance service and amenities encountered. I can assure you that these issues will be addressed. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Zelyn N
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This was out second stay here-1st was 2 yrs ago and had a good experience. This time we came during a rainy season and the water was full of seaweed. This was not the hotels fault but I should have done some research before hand. The last day of our 5 day stay the water cleared up. My biggest complaint is the elevators. I just read some other reviews and I'm not the only one complaining. On our way to go down to the beach-I had shoes on-as I stepped into the elevator I slipped in a puddle of water. Luckily I caught myself although I strained my leg, unfortunately for my 8 month old son who I was carrying not so much. He banged his head on the wall. Luckily he didn't hit the metal rail in there. I immediately went to the front desk to complain and although the guy apologized he did not know what to do. He asked me if I wanted to give my info so I did and he gave me and my husband 2 complimentary drinks......the more I thought about the more upset I was. I thought I would have received a call from mgmnt since he asked for my number but I didn't. The next day I went and spoke to the mgr bc my son was fussy that night and I realized he had a bruise. Turns out an incident report should have been made and was not. He told her I was fine with the situation in the end??? Realy? She was apologetic and told me to let her know if I needed anything and to let her know if I needed to take him to the Dr. 2 drinks will not cut it, I will go above mgmnt there if I need to. I understand we were on the beach and there was a pool but I saw water in the elevators several times and was obviously super careful especially after that but this just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if you ask me. Also they say the beds are queen but appeared to be more of a full size and were super uncomfortable. You could literally feel the springs. I know you get what you pay for but when you are there for several days it kills your back. My mom also has a $100 bill missing after leaving her purse on the bed when she went to do her laundry. I also told the mgr about this. Obviously they cannot confirm anything but she told me I could file a police report if I needed. She went to get change for some dollars to do laundry so we wondered if she couldn't have given them the 100 by accident bc she had just counted her money before doing laundry and told me how much she had. They said the registers get balance at the end of every shift and I know they have cameras at the front desk so in pretty sure that is not what happened. Makes you wonder! Be sure to use the safe at all times. Other than that the slide at the pool was fun for my daughter and the chairs/umbrellas you get to use were great but I'm feeling very disappointed in the resort right now and will be making more calls tomorrow.

• Stayed August 2013
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Our valued customer;

We apologize that you were not satisfied with the way we handled your incident. Also, we would like to thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us and other guests. Your comments are very invaluable to us toward improving our guest service. We hope this isolated incident will not deter you from coming back to our property. Again, we appreciate your business and time.

Hurst, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband is a Platinum Priority Club member and we chose this resort for an extended family vacation. We had a total of 9 people split between 3 rooms, staying for 5 nights. Each family had multiple issues with this property. Please note that we are not picky hotel guests who fuss over every detail and seek perfection. We just expect a safe, happy, comfortable stay and this hotel failed us. First and foremost, the ELEVATORS ARE A DEATH TRAP. A few of our family members were riding one together and it suddenly dropped a floor. Seriously, my hubby was shaken and he's pretty laid back. We called the front desk to complain and they gave a well versed apology and assured us maintenance would check it out. No one ever looked at it from what we could tell. All the elevators on the property are old, scary and rickety. I'm 6 months pregnant and felt more comfortable taking the steep stairs most of the time. The beds in the rooms which were described as Queens were VERY small. The balcony doors in 2 of our rooms were a complete struggle to slide open and we heard many other guests with this complaint. Bathrooms are tiny in the rooms and there is zero counter space. I've never stayed at a hotel in the US before that I had to place my toiletries on the ground due to lack of space. The in room refrigerator was nice but it made a loud popping noise every time the compressor kicked on. The water from the faucets throughout the property smelled odd and tasted unpleasant. Once, when I turned on the bath the first stream of water came out brown. All the staff we encountered were young and seemed aloof and a bit stressed. I only have 2 kudos to the hotel. One, even though the beds were small, they were super comfy. Second, the complimentary umbrella and two chairs were lovely. Lastly, about the ocean/beach. This is NO fault of the hotel but we arrived during what is described as seaweed/June Grass season. Our stay was the last week of July. The ocean was black, smelly and more resembled a swamp. Complete let down. After staying at the now demolished HI Resort in Destin 2 years ago and falling in love with the pristine beach and clear water, this was devastating. Do your research and determine the best time of year to go. It did seem like for us Ft. Walton had the worst seaweed swamped beaches in the area. We drove just 18 min up the road to Miramar Beach and it looked 95% better.This is probably hit or miss each year though. I expect this property to be closed down soon. They are already constructing a new HI Resort in Ft. Walton. I however wish they would rebuild one in Destin, we just preferred that area much more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Our Valued Platinum Guest;

We thank you for having chosen to spend your vacation at our property. On the other hand, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, to which your family members and you have been subject. Your comments have been well considered. Indeed, we have already planned to replace one of the elevators this upcoming fall. Nonetheless, the other three buildings have no elevator's issue. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It has served us as a valuable tool to improve our product.

Best regards,

Been to Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin? Share your experiences!