“Needs management attention to maintenance issues.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach

You added Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   573 Santa Rosa Boulevard, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548 (Formerly Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
“Needs management attention to maintenance issues.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Very nice beach location. Rooms were nice but lots of maintenance issues such as drawers falling out of cabinets, torn shower curtain, and sharp weather stripping sticking from doorway. Two rooms had problems with tubs leaking water into bathroom or bedroom when shower is used.Told desk clerk, who did not seem to care. Also, no response from Holiday Inn customer service and did not get a customer satisfaction survey.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear MikePsy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. Our goal is deliver exceptional service to all of our guest. I am sorry that not everything measured up to your expectations particularly with the maintenance service and amenities encountered. I can assure you that these issues will be addressed. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This was out second stay here-1st was 2 yrs ago and had a good experience. This time we came during a rainy season and the water was full of seaweed. This was not the hotels fault but I should have done some research before hand. The last day of our 5 day stay the water cleared up. My biggest complaint is the elevators. I just read some other reviews and I'm not the only one complaining. On our way to go down to the beach-I had shoes on-as I stepped into the elevator I slipped in a puddle of water. Luckily I caught myself although I strained my leg, unfortunately for my 8 month old son who I was carrying not so much. He banged his head on the wall. Luckily he didn't hit the metal rail in there. I immediately went to the front desk to complain and although the guy apologized he did not know what to do. He asked me if I wanted to give my info so I did and he gave me and my husband 2 complimentary drinks......the more I thought about the more upset I was. I thought I would have received a call from mgmnt since he asked for my number but I didn't. The next day I went and spoke to the mgr bc my son was fussy that night and I realized he had a bruise. Turns out an incident report should have been made and was not. He told her I was fine with the situation in the end??? Realy? She was apologetic and told me to let her know if I needed anything and to let her know if I needed to take him to the Dr. 2 drinks will not cut it, I will go above mgmnt there if I need to. I understand we were on the beach and there was a pool but I saw water in the elevators several times and was obviously super careful especially after that but this just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if you ask me. Also they say the beds are queen but appeared to be more of a full size and were super uncomfortable. You could literally feel the springs. I know you get what you pay for but when you are there for several days it kills your back. My mom also has a $100 bill missing after leaving her purse on the bed when she went to do her laundry. I also told the mgr about this. Obviously they cannot confirm anything but she told me I could file a police report if I needed. She went to get change for some dollars to do laundry so we wondered if she couldn't have given them the 100 by accident bc she had just counted her money before doing laundry and told me how much she had. They said the registers get balance at the end of every shift and I know they have cameras at the front desk so in pretty sure that is not what happened. Makes you wonder! Be sure to use the safe at all times. Other than that the slide at the pool was fun for my daughter and the chairs/umbrellas you get to use were great but I'm feeling very disappointed in the resort right now and will be making more calls tomorrow.

• Stayed August 2013
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Our valued customer;

We apologize that you were not satisfied with the way we handled your incident. Also, we would like to thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us and other guests. Your comments are very invaluable to us toward improving our guest service. We hope this isolated incident will not deter you from coming back to our property. Again, we appreciate your business and time.

Hurst, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband is a Platinum Priority Club member and we chose this resort for an extended family vacation. We had a total of 9 people split between 3 rooms, staying for 5 nights. Each family had multiple issues with this property. Please note that we are not picky hotel guests who fuss over every detail and seek perfection. We just expect a safe, happy, comfortable stay and this hotel failed us. First and foremost, the ELEVATORS ARE A DEATH TRAP. A few of our family members were riding one together and it suddenly dropped a floor. Seriously, my hubby was shaken and he's pretty laid back. We called the front desk to complain and they gave a well versed apology and assured us maintenance would check it out. No one ever looked at it from what we could tell. All the elevators on the property are old, scary and rickety. I'm 6 months pregnant and felt more comfortable taking the steep stairs most of the time. The beds in the rooms which were described as Queens were VERY small. The balcony doors in 2 of our rooms were a complete struggle to slide open and we heard many other guests with this complaint. Bathrooms are tiny in the rooms and there is zero counter space. I've never stayed at a hotel in the US before that I had to place my toiletries on the ground due to lack of space. The in room refrigerator was nice but it made a loud popping noise every time the compressor kicked on. The water from the faucets throughout the property smelled odd and tasted unpleasant. Once, when I turned on the bath the first stream of water came out brown. All the staff we encountered were young and seemed aloof and a bit stressed. I only have 2 kudos to the hotel. One, even though the beds were small, they were super comfy. Second, the complimentary umbrella and two chairs were lovely. Lastly, about the ocean/beach. This is NO fault of the hotel but we arrived during what is described as seaweed/June Grass season. Our stay was the last week of July. The ocean was black, smelly and more resembled a swamp. Complete let down. After staying at the now demolished HI Resort in Destin 2 years ago and falling in love with the pristine beach and clear water, this was devastating. Do your research and determine the best time of year to go. It did seem like for us Ft. Walton had the worst seaweed swamped beaches in the area. We drove just 18 min up the road to Miramar Beach and it looked 95% better.This is probably hit or miss each year though. I expect this property to be closed down soon. They are already constructing a new HI Resort in Ft. Walton. I however wish they would rebuild one in Destin, we just preferred that area much more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Our Valued Platinum Guest;

We thank you for having chosen to spend your vacation at our property. On the other hand, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, to which your family members and you have been subject. Your comments have been well considered. Indeed, we have already planned to replace one of the elevators this upcoming fall. Nonetheless, the other three buildings have no elevator's issue. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It has served us as a valuable tool to improve our product.

Best regards,
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We spent a couple of nights while traveling the panhandle and while it was not top notch is was not bad. There are some maintenance issues. Balcony doors are worn for example and the A/C unit was an apparent upgrade but doesn't fit the old housing. Not a major deal breaker but food for thought. Housekeeping seemed a bit haphazard as well with some dishes being left and others taken. Not a real big deal but not consistent. The 2 pools were nice but we would have liked to have one adult and one child pool. The kids seemed to enjoy running back and forth between the 2 which could be a little noisy at times. The beach is a big plus. They set up an umbrella and 2 chairs for you and, if there's none available, they'll set up more. It was a great system. We didn't eat there but did stop for an after dinner cocktail one night. I realize the hotel caters to mostly families with children but really, the lounge was like sitting at a Denny's for breakfast. No attempt at atmosphere. Again, this is probably not the demographic they're aiming for so not a priority for them. Given the minor shortcomings noted I felt the price was more of a premium than perhaps it deserved. OK place but I might shop around more if I were extending my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Snugdad,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us.

I am sorry to hear the troubles you had during your stay. I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you had in your room and the inconvenience our service level has caused you. Additionally, we regret the poor experience you had in our bar area.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

WHAT A WASTE of money!! we spent about $220 per night over Memorial Day weekend, and we might as well have thrown it in the trash! Our bed-- labeled a queen but appearing to be a full-- sagged so heavily in the middle my husband and I both ended up piled in the middle. The mattress was hard as a rock and so were the itty bitty pillows, even the pillows labeled "soft." I barely slept at all, and I can sleep on almost anything. Strangely, the bed was so close to the air conditioner that when the AC came on I couldn't feel my frozen nose! It felt like 40 degree air. And there were no alternative settings-- either keep the AC off and suffer in the dank, humid room... or freeze your face off. Also, our room was tiny and poorly designed and furnished. Since we were stuck in a handicapped-accessible room, the bathroom took up most of our space, leaving us cramped. Inside the bathroom, there was NO COUNTER OR SHELF SPACE AT ALL, only a sink sloped so much on the sides even a toothbrush would slide in. I had to keep my toiletries on the floor and dry the sink out before setting my curling iron there to style my hair. While this hotel is decently clean and on a pretty stretch of beach, I will NEVER return! It was extremely uncomfortable, tiny, overpriced and a hassle!

• Stayed May 2013
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear our valued Guest;

We thank you for taking your time to share your stay experiences with us and others. we apologize for not having been able you to book a regular room as we were sold out during the Memorial' s Day weekend. On the other hand. we want to share with you that , based on our research, we have found no complaint regarding our accessible room mattress since your departure. Nonetheless, your feedback is well considered toward the continued improvement of our product. We appreciate your business and time.

Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome. I loved the staff, especially this super sweet guy at the front desk named Danny. I had the studio room and it was awesome! Full size fridge, sink, and stove made my stay very convenient. The beach was clean and beautiful. Everything was great. Other guests seemed very happy around me. Oh, they had amazing piña coladas!

• Stayed June 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were very pleased with our recent stay at the Holiday Inn Fort Walton Beach. The staff was outstanding especially the man that checked us in as well as the bartenders at the Tiki bar. The resort was clean and kept up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach? Share your experiences!