“We'll Probably Go Back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Texas
“We'll Probably Go Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

We stayed on the second floor and loved the view of the beautiful white sand beaches and the clear water. The sand between the beach and the hotel needed some attention. It was somewhat dirty. There were not very many people on the beach the entire time, of course it was February. We didn't care for the view of the very ugly chainlink fence that was mentioned in a prior review. Also the washing of the walkways outside the door was somewhat inconvenient. The water would splatter on you if you tried to walk out of your door. The room was nice but not as nice as other Sheraton's we have stayed at and the bed was not as comfortable. We had a storm blow through one night and the next morning we saw a dead sea turtle that had washed up on the beach. We saw several jelly fish everytime we walked on the beach. We loved the quite beach but loved that it was a close drive to some really great restaurants and the Destin Harbor. Also, I am not sure what the other reviews are referring to with the free Breakfast Buffet. We had to pay $8.00 for an OK buffet. We have seen better. Even with the imperfections the view was wonderful and we really enjoyed our stay and will probably return.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2006

Stayed here and found the room to be clean and comfortable. I got a good rate on a room facing the courtyard. The hotel has been completely refurbished and the furniture and bedding were high quality. Front desk staff was friendly and attentive. I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in Fort Walton Beach.

• Liked — New and clean
  • Disliked — not many nice restaurants nearby
  • Stayed November 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

Very good hotel for the ******* Riviera. Clean room, ocean view, great exercise room and close to everything. Would definitely stay again. And what a bargain.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North of Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

Great location, quiet and right on the beach. The staff is very nice and friendly, especially the maid. The rooms were good enough but not great. I have no problem returning to this place, it was good enough for me - a little dirty but not from a lack of cleaning, if that makes any sense. Having the fridge and microwave saved us some money on food. I've stayed in hotels in resort towns like Ft Walton Beach in other parts of the world and this place is nothing like what you'd get for the same amount of money elsewhere but thats economics, so get over any lofty expectations and this place is fine. We had an infant and she loved it. We also got to see some seaside weddings and that was fun. Having the ocean view was excellent. Close enough to walk to resturants - we had a bad time at Anglers though, I got sick off their food and we had very bad service despite the other tables having great service, it could be cause we're minorities or our waiter was an idiot, either case, Crabtrap was better all the way around - price, menu, atmosphere, etc. Crabtrap also gives kids a free pail and shovel so hit them first!

A few MINOR problems that could've happened anywhere and not indicative of this hotels service or otherwise: bathtub didn't drain very quickly (nothing bad, just annoying), toliet didn't flush consistanly (jiggled it and it was fine), dead frog and insects in the courtyard pool (I don't know if it gets cleaned enough during the day), massive amounts of seaweed on the beach stunk (it would take someone twenty minutes to rake and dispose of all of it but nobody seemed to be responsible for it -disappointing when its something easy like that, you'd think someone would do it), pillows stunk (new pillows were better and we brought our own). Again all this alone is not enough to be a deal breaker.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Minor problems and over priced
  • Tips/Secrets — get a ocean view room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed here from 9/22-9/25 to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel's website advertised an Emerald Coast Special giving 25% off rack rates through the fall, so with that, our gulf-front room was $131/night. I thought that was a decent price... not the best bargain ever, but fair enough for what we got.

Our room was spacious and quite comfortable. We loved how it was elegantly decorated in neutrals... so relaxing and a welcome change from the standard hotel decor (where burgundy reigns supreme!). The beds were as cozy as they advertised... lots of pillows, soft bedding, quality mattress. Everything in that room was exactly to our liking, even the chairs on the balcony were so much more comfortable than what we usually find elsewhere. We knew that our room would have a fridge and microwave, but we were surprised that we had almost a mini-kitchen, with a small sink, several cabinets, and a fridge almost the size of the one in my first apartment. We give the room an "A"! Housekeeping was terrific every day... they get an "A", too!

The hotel has 2 pools, one that is beachfront and the other is in the courtyard. We didn't like the beachfront pool... there was no shade or landscaping, and it was surrounded by some lattice and cheap-looking blue canvas fencing that blocked any view of the ocean if you were in the pool or sitting in a lounge chair. I don't know if they're working on it or what, but I hope this is not the finished product! It felt more like a cheap motel pool instead of what I'd expect from a Sheraton. We spent all of our pool time at the pool in courtyard, which was larger, much prettier, and usually empty.

We were really disappointed that both hot tubs were broken. The lady at the desk said they were waiting for a part to arrive before they could be fixed. I know that these things happen, but it was still a bummer since we were really looking forward some relaxing post-dinner soaks!

This hotel seemed to be a bit "out of the way". There wasn't any fast food within sight or without driving for a bit, and after 10:30 am, we couldn't get any food at the hotel. I thought there would've been at least room service, but the front desk told us that there was no option but to leave. We had some snacks in our room but weren't expecting to have to go to so much effort just to grab lunch in the middle of our beach time. There were a few sit-down places within walking distance but most beachgoers are too grubby for that. On the plus side, the beach wasn't crowded!

We didn't try the breakfast buffet... found that a bowl of cereal on the balcony while watching dolphins playing was too nice to pass up! The lobby bar was open but it looked pretty blah... I only saw one person inside, and he was watching TV. The gift shop was closed. The hotel had a few cats that hung around the grounds. We thought that was really sweet and homey... they weren't a bother at all! We actually enjoyed them.

I agree with the previous poster who said that this hotel needed a little "oomph". If the beach pool was larger and nicer, the hot tubs worked, and there was some easier option for food, I would have been 100% pleased. However, if the room is the only thing that really matters to you, you'd love this hotel!

I wouldn't be opposed to staying here again, but I'd probably look around at other options first.

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Not having any drive-thru's close by
  • Tips/Secrets — I would only stay here in a gulf-front room... the others have no real "view"
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Checked in July 10, 2006, out July 15, 2006. Chose this property primarily due to my Starwood Preferred Guest affiliation and status.

Stayed in oceanfront "deluxe" newly remodeled room in tower.

Pros:

Full size refrigerator
Microwave
Comfortable beds
Free high-speed internet access
Private balcony
Functioning guest laundry
Adequate desk in room
Housekeeping--loved our housekeeper
HVAC

Cons:

Small pools
Property did not have "resort" feel to it--pretty vanilla (Contrast to HI in Panama City)
4 cup coffe maker (bought larger one from Publix to use)

Overall, the property was adequate for a stay at the beach, however, for the price paid for the room ($222), I feel that one could do better by looking around a bit. We ended up driving quite a bit back and forth to Destin for dining and shopping.

If travelling to the area again, probably would select another property primarily due to price/value considerations.

• Stayed July 2006
Fayetteville, Ga.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

We just returned from a 10 day stay. We have been going to Ft Walton Beach for our family vacation for nine years. We have stayed at the Four Points Sheraton for all but the first trip. After our first visit we were hooked and decided to continue to return to the Four Points. The landscaping is tropical and beautiful. The staff is always freindly and helpful. They had a program during the summer for the kids. Each day they would meet and have different activities throughout the week. And the breakfast buffet which was included with the room was the final perk that made us decide to continue to return to Four Points Sheraton and pay a little more for our room. We enjoyed every trip in a relaxing resort like atmosphere.
However this year was different. I was impressed with the renovations made and repairs from the Hurricanes. The dissappoiintments started when I booked the room. I booked a poolside/courtyard room for 11 days. I made the reservations in January. When I checked the status in May I found out they only booked the room for one day and only one person. I had to make new reservations, but was not able to get the poolside/courtyard room. I got a room in the tower which I had to pay more for and did not budget for. We did like the tower room and it was more space for us.
They also discontinued the free vouchers for the breakfast buffet. Which cost us more money we didn't budget for. They told us when we got to the hotel they stopped the program in January. I made by reservations in January and wasn't told anything about it being discontinued. The breakfast buffet was O.K. except for the eggs, they were watery. We were very dissappointed they stopped with the breakfast being included.

The maid service was not good at all. They only cleaned our room twice while we were there. They changed out our towels when we called to get new ones. The maids told us they were short handed, but thats not my problem when I'm paying 225.00 plus tax a night for the room. I expect great room service for the price I paid. The maid staff was very freindly and responded to our request as needed.

They also did not offer the kids program. My kids were disappointed because they had gotten used to the activities to break up the day.

I was also told the hotel will be undergoing major renovations to the main building which might cause problems for vacationers. I was glad we were able to go prior to the construction.

All said this is a beautiful hotel with friendly staff. A little expensive, but the environment (landscape, etc..) makes the price almost worth it. They need more staff.

I will be looking elsewhere next year. The Ramada has a nice pool and lower rates. I will have to look into it more. When you take in account the price we paid for breakfast and the room rates it would be cheaper to go elsewhere. I do hate to break a family tradition but I hate being disappointed more.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach? Share your experiences!