“A little pricey, but a good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
London
“A little pricey, but a good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I stayed here a couple of months back for a romantic break with my girlfriend. I booked this place on the strength of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and on the whole, was glad I did.

Although it seemed a little expensive for what it is, I put this down to it being Memorial Day weekend. The rooms were unremarkable and pleasant enough, but the view was spectacular (see my photos) and well worth the litte extra we paid to be on the beachfront. The beach itself was stunning and well-sheltered from the noise of the public beach just to the west.

Given that we spent most of our time in the water, we didn't see much of the rest of the hotel, though the pool looked perfectly clean and well-maintained. My girlfriend was convinced the staff had been a little rude to her on the phone when asking for directions, but when I met them in person they were both welcoming and polite.

On the final morning, they had to shut the power off for some maintenance work, which was a little annoying as it meant we had to get up early to load the car before while we could still use the elevator. However, I appreciate that these things happen sometimes, and guests were provided with plenty of warning that this work would be going ahead.

I would stay here again without hesitation, and would be happy to recommend it to a friend

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GaryJoh, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, August 28, 2008
We are delighted you had a great "get-a-way" and hope to see you back soon. You make a good point that a lot of our guests note and that is, our beach is without the noise of the public beaches. Being privately owned we are able to provide a more peacefull experiance while enjoying the sun and surf. Many thanks Gary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
south
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

This time, I learned my lesson.
We stayed at this property earlier in the summer and just had a terrible experience. Dirty rooms, rude front desk help and the manager was egotistically belligerent to the problems we presented.

Circumstances found us in the area again, and with no where else available, we decided to try it again. The manager seems to be all over these reviews, so we thought, "maybe things will be better..."
They were not. The manager needs to log off the internet and fix the problems at his hotel.
Start with teaching the staff manners....

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
We apologize for what you feel you experienced while here. I am surprised to hear of the issues noted as most of our guest are repeat guest and are pleased with our friendly associates and exceptional accommodations. We wish you well, Gary
East Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed in a beach front room to celebrate our anniversary. We were a little concerned about the reviews from trip advisor, but liked enough about it to take the chance. I was impressed! Check in was a breeze, we got there around 5pm. Every time we contacted room service or the front desk, we received prompt service. The beach is the best we saw in the area, not crowded at all! The beachside bar was nice to walk to for lunch and drinks. We spent most of our time on the beach! The rooms were nice and clean,not extremely fancy, but we were not in the room much! The courtyard was pretty and pools were okay. I really can't complain about anything and would go back!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — crowded parking lot
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
GaryJoh, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, August 18, 2008
Our season is coming to an end and it has been very successful from comments such as yours. Please come back to see us, we appreciate your patronage, Gary
Chattanooga, tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in July for a week. We stayed in a room that had a courtyard view. It was nice. Both pools were nice. It was a short walk to the beach. There were chairs that you could rent with umbrellas.

We had breakfast a few mornings. It was good, but a little expensive. We walked to Waffle House one morning, it was a short walk.

The hotel was located in a great spot. Really close to resturants and stores.

• Liked — The location. Close to restuarants and the beach.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Our beaches are some of the most beautifull you will encounter in the Panhandle, thank you for the favorable comments, Gary
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I was hugely disappointed in the front desk guest relations part of our stay.
First of all, we did arrive earlier than expected to Ft Walton Beach. We had just driven overnight about 800 miles with a 1 yr. old. We went out and had lunch and killed some time at the local Air Force Museum. We were tired and hot and decided to see if they happened to have a room ready early. I brought my confirmation to the front desk and she checked and nothing was available yet. We patiently waited in the lobby and asked a few more times. Finally 4 pm arrives and I get back in line to check-in. I get to the desk and still my room is not ready yet. They call housekeeping on a walkie-talkie and they say it will be another half hour. I was in disbelief that check out is 11 Am and we were still without a room. 30 minutes passed and still nothing was available. Meanwhile 4 or 5 other guests show up for their beachfront rooms too. I felt bad for the front desk crew as they were having to deal with several unhappy guests. I asked if they were short on housekeeping and I was told no, it was because they let guests stay for late check-outs for an additonal fee and this was causing rooms to be delayed.
I mentioned that I work for AAA Travel and have the opportunity to recommend and book hotels for people and this is a real turn-off. I was told by the front desk clerk that it was clients like mine who were staying late that were causing me all this grief. I was floored by her response to me. I assured her that I would be recommending my clients to stay elsewhere. Finally about 5:10 we were given key cards. We make our way up to room 429 and the key cards do not work. My husband has me and our 1 yr old wait outside the hotel door with our luggage while he drove back up to the front desk. He returned about 10 minutes later and told me that we were blessed to even have a room. He said the lobby was full of angry guests without rooms. We finally get in our room and we realize that we are missing the crib we had requested. I tried to call the front desk from the phone between the beds and all I would get is the tone after I dialed that was letting me know my call was going nowhere. My husband once again made his way down to the front desk and asked about the crib. The crib arrived within 10 minutes of the prompting.
We were extremely exhausted by the time we were done dealing with the front desk.
The hotel itself was clean and in a great location. The gulf water wasn't very good at the time of our visit. There was a lot of algae bloom in the water which resulted in a lot of dead fish on the beach. I don't fault the hotel for any of that. In fact the beach rental crew was very helpful and professional and did their best to keep the beach clean.
Once again at check-out we had difficulties. My daughter and I went to the Gulfarium next door and my husband loaded the car and proceeded to check out. He found us at the Gulfarium afterwards and told me how much our stay was. I was in shock with the total. It seems they didn't even apply our AAA discount that it was booked at. Anyway after the dolphin show we headed back up to the dreaded front desk where they applied our discount and credited our Visa back $123.00.
I think the next time we will be looking into a different property. I really thought this hotel would be more accomodating to their check in guests than this. I read several reviews on this website prior to our visit and was always impressed how the manager addressed complaints. I was really surprised that his late check-out policy is an acceptable practice which inconveniences the next guest.

• Liked — location, beds and pillows
  • Disliked — guest relations
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Please accept our apologies as we have obviously failed to perform to your expectations. To be perfectly candid, this is a rare occurrence but will be used for our guest training updates so as to help keep this from happening again as you describe, Gary
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

Wonderfull Stay. Perfect holidays in a GREAT PLACE.
Ideal for families and for those who want to rest in a magnificent place. The beaches are the most beatifull in all over the world and the food was optimal. just the best i ever had.
Obviously we will go back again.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing, please return soon, Gary
Meridian, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We stayed here using SPG points and were very pleased. We arrived early July 4th and our room wasn't ready yet but we were going to the beach anyways so they gave us a parking pass and we checked in after our day on the beach. The property was very nice with 2 pools to swim in and nice tropical landscaping. The gift shop was surprisingly very inexpensive as well which was a big plus. Our room was nice especially with the free high speed internet and flat screen tv provided. Even tho the hotel was completely booked it was adaquate parking and not noisy at all. We really enjoyed our stay and I can't say anything bad about this place. I even came in from the beach during the middle of the day once and discovered my key had been erased due to being next to my cell phone but they worked with me on getting me another key even tho I didn't have my wallet on me since it was in the room.

I will definately stay here again.

• Liked — Location to beach, free high speed internet
  • Disliked — Sliding door going outside needed a little work but other than that nothing bad to say.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GaryJoh, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, July 19, 2008
Thank you for the kinds words. We are especially glad to hear that you will be back. On your next trip in stop by and introduce yourself to me, our repeat guest are appreciated, thanks again Gary

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach? Share your experiences!