“Nice staff but hotel needs some attention” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
United States
“Nice staff but hotel needs some attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have to say that the staff always treated us with respect and a smile. The hotel was in a great location and the view of the ocean from our balcony was fantastic. However, the room needed some updating. Worn carpet and bathroom just to mention a few. I also don't like bugs so if there are any bugs that I see, I pretty much need them gone. My husband killed a few spiders that were making their home in the corners of the room. I don't think any guest should have to deal with that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Toni R, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank You for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the kind remarks regarding our team. Our sincerest apologies for not having met all your expectations. We do hope you will visit us again!

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Southern States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This place is a throwback, a mix of deco and 50s it works, it's kitchy,cute,fun. You enter the lobby and the white sand dunes make a beautiful panoramic ever changing picture. Being from this area I am used to the beaches, so I can;t give them credit for that! The location is okay, right off main drag 98, but the parking is something else. Tight squeezes, leave the parking to the pros! Only one elevator services all 6 floors, so wait times can be varied. The room had a placard that mentioned 'super cleaned' and they meant it. The rooms had white coverlets(yeah!), and although this is an older property, steps have been made to ensure cleanliness. The carpet is probably not the best idea for a beach hotel, but that is my taste. The air worked like a champ in room 215. At no time did I ever see staff lounging, they were always busy, and this place shows. They take pride in their property, and rightfully so. There is a bar on premise, the "swizzle stick" with live entertainment also and a tiki bar. The breakfast was standard feed the masses frozen fare, square eggs, mystery sausage,(although one day it was bacon!), mini bagels,cereals,oatmeal,waffles,etc. Unfortunately this was all served up by a surly attendent, making the first face you saw of the day a scowl. This was about the only negativity I saw in this place, Idid not let it ruin the memory of a beautiful property on a beautiful beach!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank You for your in-depth review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate all the feedback and thank you for the kind remarks regarding out team. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

As a child of the 50's just walking into the lobby brought back so many childhood memories! This hotel has all the decor of the early 60's. Tables had the same counter design as in my family home when I was around 10. Even the rooms took you back to the bedrooms of the 60's. Only thing missing was a princess phone.
The room was comfortable & clean. Bed was very comfortable ! Great view of ocean from our room. The balcony was wet but it was from the high humidity and sweat from the AC. Another added plus was the free beach chairs & umbrella.
Our only disappointment was the narrow beach area and the water was full of floating seaweed.
Everyone at the front desk was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toni R, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank You for your lovely review. We appreciate the kind remarks and are thrilled that you had a wonderful experience with us. We look forward to you next visit.
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed here. We really enjoy it. The view is spectacular and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Everyone there treated you like a member of their family. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toni R, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank You for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the kind remarks about our team. It was our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Turangi, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

OK, I realize this is an older property but c'mon.
For the price of this place it should at least be dry!
The lobby looks old and very run down. Don't let the online photos fool you.
WHen I got to my room there was rolled up towel in front of the door which I found odd, I soon found out why.
Apparently the entire property floods when it rains.
So I guess they place rolled towels in front of the doors to try and soak up the water that runs right into your room.
The carpet is some type of outdoor carpet you would have on a patio or outside area, not inside of a hotel room.
Also the carpet is perpetually wet, and so is everything in the room. Sheets, towels your clothing, all wet.
I could tell that the bathroom had flooded more than once because the wood by the door was so rotten it was simply gone, just a big gaping hole where there was once wall.
Absolutely unacceptable condition for a beachfront property charging hundreds of dollars a night.
I did the survey they sent me and voiced my complaints on the survey, and the manager did give me my points back. That was very considerate and for that I am grateful but I still have to rate the property condition as terrible despite getting my points back.
For some reason this place is rated #1 on tripadvisor? Why?
There are only two hotels on the beach, this one and the Hampton.
My advice...if you have to stay at a hotel in Fort Walton stay at the Hampton.

Room Tip: Do Not stay here if you want a decent room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toni R, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank You for your review on your recent stay with us. We do appreciate your feedback. Our sincerest apologies for your inconvenience. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor, we booked a 5-night stay and we were very pleased. It was nice being right on the beach and having chairs/umbrellas provided. The hotel breakfast had a good variety. The staff were very helpful. We would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank You for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the kind remarks. It was our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Marseilles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I returned from this hotel yesterday......I was part of a wedding party and we all stayed in this hotel during our stay.....Everyone there was AWESOME! This hotel gives you a very laid back comfortable home feeling. The decor throughout the place was beautiful.....such a beachy feel. You are located right on the beach along with a pool option.....outside tiki bar during the day and great little retro bar inside. Beds were VERY COMFORTABLE......room was super clean and the maid service was excellent. Constant beach breeze......The ocean view rooms are well worth the money!
Our bride had her wedding directly in front of hotel on the beach and everyone from the hotel watched from their rooms and were so encouraging to her. So convenient......watched them set up for wedding as we were getting dressed in rooms and just had to walk right on out to the wedding.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are a must!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for your review on your recent stay with us. It was truly our pleasure to have your group here. We so enjoyed all of the guests from this party and we hope to see you on your next visit with us!

Been to BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront? Share your experiences!