“Best buy; clean room; across the street from gulf beach; not fancy just good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Emerald Coast Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Emerald Coast Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Emerald Coast Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1214 Miracle Strip Pkwy SE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Ranked #7 of 30 hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Gouda-Holland
“Best buy; clean room; across the street from gulf beach; not fancy just good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

We have stayed in the Emerald Inn now for several times for our stay with family and for vacationing. The hotel is the cheapest in this area. Just across the street from the gulf beach you find this hotel looking a little outdated. It is kept perfectly clean with housekeeping service everyday. The AC works fine, the shower and bath are good and the bathroom area is spacy. There is a fridge in the room, a coffee machine and a macro wave.
There is a guest laundry room and a small pool. There is not much shade in the pool area so it does get a little hot out there.
The staff is very friendly, real helpful and kind. Over the phone as in real life.
The breakfast is nice, nothing too fancy but there are waffles that you can cook yourself, there is a variety of breakfast cornflakes, juice, milk, coffee, toast and muffins.

We have stayed on the third floor and on the first floor and we do think that the first floor is a little more noisy. Guess that also depends on the time of year.

Going to the beach is of course a short walk but you have to cross a bizzy street which makes that a little harder. They do rent beach chairs and parasols on the beach.

All in all a great stay for little money. If you can do without the fancy hotel things and enjoy the good and clean basics this is a perfect place for you to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Philadelphia area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We had to come to Ft. Walton Beach for a wedding and this was the cheapest hotel/motel in the area, and once I got there I could see why. This place is a tiny,
run-down motel and the only one I could see that wasn't on the side of the highway where the beach is. Getting to the beach was a chore, waiting to cross a dangerous highway and walking several blocks. The "lobby" consists of a few chairs, a table and a coffee pot - it's smaller than a doctor's office waiting room and very dark. The room was depressing, tiny, and smelled musty and smokey although we made it clear we wanted a smoke-free room. The pool is tiny and is right alongside the highway, and the "fitness center" is exactly what the picture shows - just two machines. There is a tiny hot tub too, and they do have a laundry room and a big parking lot. The staff was slow (check in took about 25 minutes), which was the last thing we needed late at night after traveling all day. If you're going to Ft. Walton Beach, I'd strongly recommend spending a few extra dollars and staying across the street at one of the larger hotel chains.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Scottsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Emerald coast inn far surpassed our expectations. This was Spring Break, the staff was outstanding, breakfast great,(there was a staff member making the homeade waffles each day for us) the location good. You could walk to the beach but due to the amount of things were took to the beach with us we chose to drive, it is across the highway, but a very short walk. The boardwalk is across the street, we chose to drive 5 minutes down to the next public beach area which is nextdoor to teh visitor center. Clean restrooms area, and nice picnic pavillions, and soft drink machines, also lifeguards and options for beach chair rentals. This was a mother/daughter trip--and i can't say enough positive things about this hotel. We felt completely safe, the area and parking lot well lit. The ;pool and pool area very clean-pool is close to the highway and a bit noisy, but nothing intolerable. I booked this on Expedia for 69.99 per night--so worth it and will reccomend this to others and will also stay here again.Was perfect for what we needed it for--to spend days at the beach, shopping and dining in the evenings. Be sure to eat at the HogsBreath Saloon and also to to Sandestin outlet mall. Very family oriented area--beaches not crowded and that was Spring Break.

• Stayed March 2009
midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Absolutely worst hotel experience I've ever had. Constant racket and door slammings. Teenagers and partiers trolling the hallways. Dirty sheets. Yes, that's right. I checked in, dropped my belongings in the room and went to dinner. By the time I came back, the hallways had been populated by people drinking, packs of teeneagers, and some circus people. I decided I would have to take sleep meds to get through the night, but when I pulled back the covers, there it was. Yikes! The girl at the desk refused to refund me. I asked to talk to the owner/manager; she said he wasn't available. Then he called my room only to tell me refunds are only given in the first 30 minutes. He said his name was Bobby Patel, but sounded like a hoodlum, or maybe a weasel. I was stunned. Also wifi didn't work.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

My family and I had come to Fort Walton to visit other family. The hotel was great, the continental breakfast was way more then we expected it to be. We ended up hanging out at the hotel more than we had planned. The pool area was great to have my family come over and hang out in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice relaxing vactaion!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

We are a mature couple that travels without children and so when we decided to make a last-minute trip to Fort Walton Beach we were shooting in the dark and just hoping this decently priced hotel would not prove to be a mistake - and it wasn't.

I'll preface by saying this is an older hotel with very modest amenities. If you're looking for gyms, large luxurious pools, a breakfast beyond a quick roll and coffee you must go elsewhere. This is, however, the perfect hotel for those who will be spending their time on the beaches and exploring the area and its many attractions.

The staff was very friendly and courteous. While we did not ask anything of them during our stay, we were left feeling they would have done all they could to accommodate any request.

Our room was on the top floor and was clean and comfortable. From our room we were able to view the Gulf and the bay. Everything we needed from internet access, coffee, a safe and iron with ironing board were there and in very good condition. Even the selection of cable channels were broader than in most places we've visited and we were able to keep current on the news as well as the local interests.

Noises can be a bit loud and the experienced traveller will realize courtesy is a must. The hallways and hall floors are made of concrete and are open at either end providing a nice breeze off the Gulf. Doors opening and closing and even conversations can echo loudly enough to wake other guests because of the design. We were never aware of the traffic on 98 while we were in our room.

During busy hours, walking across 98 to reach the beach does not seem a good idea. However, a quick trip in your car around the corner or down the road gives you many points of access to the water as well as any number of shops and restaurants. We didn't mind having to use our car because it meant we didn't have to haul everything around on us and it gave us a place to put our things during that spur-of-the-moment urge to visit elsewhere or grab a bit to eat.

Would we recommend it? Absolutely - if you're in Fort Walton to spend your time exploring, on the beach or even visiting the convention center next door.

• Liked — Staff friendliness, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing disliked
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

I booked this hotel while in town for a conference. The price was excellent as I received a free night (paid two, got one free). I paid right around $200 total for a three night stay.

The pros: It was clean, had a comfortable bed and had all the normal amenities you'd expect in a mid-range hotel. The air conditioner ran well and kept my room nice and cool. There was also a mini-fridge and microwave. The hotel had a free continental breakfast which was pretty skimpy but they did have a waffle maker where you could make your own waffles (one for everyone to share so get in line). I like waffles so I was good to go. They also have wireless internet access in the rooms which I didn't use so can't comment on. There was a free computer in the lobby as well. They had a small hot-tub inside the hotel right beside the lobby (odd spot for it). The pool was small but not bad. It was a round shape about 15-20 feet across and had depths of 3-5 feet. It's your basic older pool but was very clean. The pool sits on a raised concrete deck literally about 6 feet from the highway. If you wear your thong, prepare to be howled at by passerbys. ;-)

The cons: The noise from foot traffic outside your door, from voices outside or from exterior doors shutting on other rooms was very loud. The doors of the hotel rooms opened to an open air hallway that ran between all the rooms. The floor of that hallway was bare concrete since it was exposed to the elements and as you can imagine it was loud. While I was on the 5th floor I could also hear traffic driving up and down Highway 98. However, if you keep the AC cranked up like I do constantly, the noise is barely audible from outside. The hotel is NOT within comfortable walking distance to the beach. It's about a 1/2 mile walk to the beach and that includes crossing a very busy 5 lane highway. There's no crosswalk by the hotel so you can either walk a few hundred feet up the street before you cross or take your chances with a human Frogger game. The fitness center was a joke. It was a treadmill and some other piece of aerobic equipment in a tiny room facing a hot-tub that was about 3 feet in front of the equipment. They faced a blank wall so if you plan to work out on them bring your MP3 player and hope there is a hottie or two in the hot-tub. You'll have nothing else to look at.

All in all, it's a very average hotel in a very average location. If I had to pay full price for the rooms or if I was going there for a beach trip, I would have been very disappointed. I'd say it's a $65-$75 room. For a conference or a quick stay driving through town, I'd recommend it. The room was clean and the hotel was well kept. It's just a very old place in a not so great spot.

• Liked — The waffles!
  • Disliked — The fitness room.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Emerald Coast Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!