“Gulfside 311 WONDERFUL” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Destin West Beach and Bay Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Destin West Beach and Bay Resort to your Saves list
Destin West Beach and Bay Resort
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1320 Miracle Strip Parkway, SE, Okaloosa Island, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Youngsville, Louisiana
“Gulfside 311 WONDERFUL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived 4 hours early-traffic in Destin is horrible on Saturdays so be prepared to sit for an hour or so. The staff called the maid and she said she was cleaning room (it was only 1:00 and check in is 4-6pm). We walked to the room to check out the outside and the maid was walking by. My Mom asked if she was doing our room and she said she would do it right then and there, she was on her way to the one next door first but due to us arriving early, she'd have it ready in an hour. We got our armbands at the office and went and had drinks/food at the Ramada next door-the bartender was great! She was a sweet lady from New Orleans and being that we were from Lafayette-we had a good chat! The armbands get you into Destin West pools/lazy river/ splash park/Ramada plaza resort pools/grotto bar. The Destin West pools are cold as I have read in the comments below-however; it was not bad as I was preparing myself for. Cold yes-freezing and miserable as people mentioned-well, not for us. Lazy river was great-no kids taking over as mentoned below. 2 yr old daughter loved the splash park and we all loved the pool. I found the pool at Ramada was much colder so we never swam in that one. Our condo came with an umbrella and 2 chairs all week. There is a shack on the beach closer to Ramada and you give your name and room number-they reserve the chairs/umbrella all week. That was nice. We had Wifi, coffee pot, blender, plenty of dishes, pots/pans, etc. We only needed paper towels, toilet paper, seasonings, oil, trash bags and fridgerator foods. The king size bed was wonderful. The fold out sleep sofa was awful. My Mom and 9 yr old couldnt' sleep on it so they slept in bunk beds. The mattress was paper thin. The sofa was comfy-not a lot of sitting room but we got by with no issues. The bunk beds have no air circulation and not made for adult-not horrible but not that comfortable. I'd prefer to bring an air matteress next time. The view was wonderful-over looked beach, our pool and hot tub, splash park and ramada. Ramada has a tiki bar outside on the beach-great drinks and very good prices. I paid $7-12/drink and we had pina coladas, margaritas, and the rum drink in a bucket-keep the bucket and the drinks are $10 refills (the first one is $12 I think but only $10 to refill after. Not strong, good summer buzz..lol). Kids tended to take over the hot tub (should only be in there if 12 and over unless with adult and I hardly ever saw adult). However; if adults wanted in, I find the kids were pretty good about getting out. The baby pool was warm and really nice-my 2 yr old loved it. I saw a lot of kids using puddle jumpers (like a floatie) and I wish I had known about that-seemed perfect for toddler. But my daughter used a cheap walmart float ring and it worked perfect. She's tiny and still had no issues. Get ice-not all ice makers work but 2 bags of ice lasted us until the last day. The Destin Harbor Boardwalk is about 10 min down the road and have fun things: Sat is rock the dock with live bands, Tue is Pardi Gras (Mardi Gras) with floats, beads, etc, Thur is Red White and Boom-fireworks. We enjoyed it all. You have to try Brusters Ice Cream!!! I heard Shakes frozen custard was a must but we went and there is one outside table that was full and it was drizzling so we passed it up and went to Brusters a little further down the road-a lot of seating and great atmosphere. They let you sample too! McGuires Irish Pub is great-wonderful chargrilled burger w/onions and cheese. Floyd's on the boardwalk next to hotel is good too. The shrimp queso is to die for (I was surprised I liked it). High Tide has GREAT service/food. Margaritas weren't tart enough for me-and pretty weak though. Walmart is about 20 min away so stock up on day one. It's really busy but not any worse than the local ones in my home town. The Track is fun-arcades, putt putt, karts....I found that people were all patient as we played putt putt. Some had big groups and no one was agitated or impatient. Have fun!

Room Tip: You can always get a memory foam mattress if you have uncomfortable sofa sleeper. Check out is 10am...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DestinWestVacations, Manager at Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
We’ve had some technical issues with our Trip Advisor page, and Destin West Vacations sincerely apologizes to all of the travelers who have posted reviews and have not been responded to. Your reviews mean a lot to us, and we are working on posting a response to every single reviewer. Destin West Vacations is under new management and we look forward to the future with our Trip Advisor family and guests.

We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed yourselves in Gulfside 311. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thank you so much for reviewing Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, managed professionally by Destin West Vacations. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Cambridge, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in Sandpiper L05. At first we thought it would be nice...but the longer we were here the more problems there were. I do think their cleaning staff is doing a very poor job. The floors were filthy. There isn't enough room to write everything wrong but I was extremely disappointed. We have stayed with Destin West many times but .....
Everything went bad. The beds weren't made up with fitted sheets, instead a queen flat was used on top and bottom...it was a king bed. We went to the office and got the right sheet but for what we paid we shouldn't have to make our beds. We were charged more than what I was told on the phone...after I was told the charge I see the total They charged more because of cleaning fee, etc. I think that should be told originally...maybe it's poorly trained reservation isn't. Enough said. I'm just so disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns. We sincerely appreciate feedback like yours as it helps us identify improvement opportunities.
We are so sorry for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay with us. Our Housekeeping department is under new management, and reviews like yours have been covered in staff training meetings and focus groups. We advise our reservations and guest services staff to quote grand totals with all fees and taxes, and that is how rates are displayed on our website and other sites. We'll be sure to address rate quoting again during staff meetings.

Carencro, La
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our unit's carpet was not clean we we arrived and I ended up cleaning it myself, because I couldn't stand it! VROM management sent a young man to talk with me about it, and he promised to send someone. They never came. The kitchen needs more pots, bowls, and cooking utensils. The bathrooms were spotless and the bedding was clean, but old. The main TV was also old. Another problem was the balcony and balcony door. The door was SO HARD to open, the handle fell off! We had to use the alternate door on the side to go out on the balcony. The balcony itself was very dirty.
Now, regarding the whole resort, it was well kept, and landscaped, but BUSY. When I go on vacation, I don't like BUSY! The skywalk was great! All in all, about a fifteenth of a mile walk (kinda long for those who don't enjoy a good walk) to the beach, which was nice, but this time of year, was full of green algae. (there are better beach locations in Destin without algae, I saw them) Anyway, the traffic is atrocious too. I'm talking a REAL waste of time. You have to plan your activities around that! UGH.

FYI: Fat Daddy's Arcade is NEXT DOOR. This is helpful for those of you with kids.
The Ramada Beach Resort's pool is FANTASTIC! We enjoyed a whole day there with a tiki bar underneath the rock waterfall and really COOL (temp) water! Go...it's free, just wear your armband. Also at the Ramada, Alvin's souvenirs are set up there, with a full snack bar and any souvenir you could want! Ramada also has a nice water playground for the little ones.

Room Tip: All the units in Heron and Osprey bay side labeled #05 - #09 are furthest from the bay and closer to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Heron 609 is not managed by us, Destin West Vacations, the owner of this Trip Advisor page. We're sorry you had poor experiences renting through another firm or private owner. We are glad you enjoyed the Resort and invite to give us a try for your next vacation.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I arrived early & checked in. I was told I would receive a cell phone call with key pad door code as soon as the unit was clean. I was told to check in with office if I didn't get a call due to poor cell reception in some areas of resort. I called office around 2:00 & room wasn't ready. I called again at 4:00 & was told by office that normal check in policy is 4:00-6:00 & it was not ready. I went ahead & went grocery shopping to kill time. I get back at 6:00 & room still isn't ready. I call the office & was told someone was in the room cleaning, which was a lie. I went back to office at 6:15 & told them no one from housekeeping was in there & now I had to go buy a cooler & ice for my groceries! Customer service treated me as if I was lying & said I just called "her cell phone" from housekeeping & she is in the room now. All I kept hearing was check in policy was 4-6, never once did anyone offer to resolve or check into the situation. I informed them that was a lie because my family was sitting at the door waiting & no one had ever entered the room. Finally a housekeeping employ heard the conversation in the office & offered to go check the room. The room was a mess, no one had cleaned it. The office called & told me the cleaning lady for that room had walked out & quit without cleaning the room. Housekeeping told me at 6:30 that 3 people would be cleaning it & it would be about 45 mins. After 7:00 no one had returned to clean the room still. I finally received a call at 8:30 that my room was ready for check in! I will never stay at this resort again!!

• Stayed July 2013

We are VERY sorry about the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. We understand how interruptive it can be when units are not ready for check in promptly at 4 pm. It can make things even harder having to wait until late in the evening to access your rental. Your experience with us was unacceptable. Our Housekeeping department is under new management, and we are using new cleaning staff. Our goal is to ensure that these types of issues do not interrupt our guest's vacations.

Thank you so much for reviewing Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, managed professionally by Destin West Vacations. We sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

There is so much to say about this place: 1) check-in is flawless, no surprises.The rooms... , where do I start, we stayed with a group of friends, and all of us noticed that our several units smelled fesh and newly painted, had none of the musky scent found in most seaside places and were very, very clean. All units boast clever floorplans and accommodate a lot of people with a great degree of privacy. There is a covered garage on a first come basis. The resort has several buildings facing the bay and adjoining the pools, hot tubs and a lazy river; and the ocean side, adjoining the beach. The two sides are connected by a covered skybridge - 5 min walk. We stayed on the bayside in Sandpiper building, facing the lazy river, and we were very pleased with the location. Most units are invidually owned, and the amenities and upgrades depend on the owner. Washer/dryer worked great, and we had WiFi, but the TVs in our unit were very old and had poor reception. The beds had great matresses though! Overall, this is a great resort, and the unit was in a great location, by the elevator and facing the lazy river. Note that there is no sundry shop at this resort, but there are plenty of places around to pick up the necessities. Publix is 5 min away. For Starbucks lovers - it is about 10 min away, in the blocks behind Publix (it is "hidden", pull it up on your Google map). Several seafood restaurants are across the road and the resort also has dine-in delivery service that will bring a variety of dishes to your room in the evenings. Their pizza was great (we ordered it again and again). We also liked being in Ft. Walton as traffic was a little lighter than in Destin. We would stay there again!

Room Tip: Some units have dated amenities or no WiFi. Lower level units on the bayside come with their own res...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for reviewing Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, managed professionally by Destin West Vacations. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed yourselves while you were here. Your satisfaction is our primary focus. We look forward to seeing you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've been here every year and love the pool area it's the best in destin!!! The rooms are amazing as well! Must rent a boat and go to crab island and eat at mcguires Irish pub and get hungry howies pizza delivered to your condo! Make sure to get Cajun style crust won pizza!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, managed professionally by Destin West Vacations. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again.
West Chester, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a great place to stay when visiting the Destin area with your family. We chose a unit on the bay side to enjoy the pool area with lazy river, water fall, zero entry pool and hot tubs, but we also appreciated and used often the easy beach access (5 minute walk). Our unit included free beach service, which was fantastic (2 chairs and an umbrella set up every day). Units are individually owned, so some are nicer than owners. Ours wasn't "fancy," but it was definitely very clean and comfortable. The pools and beaches were crowded and it rained a lot while we were there, but we still managed to have lots of fun. Traffic to and from Destin was HORRIBLE and Destin itself is pretty touristy, but we really enjoyed just hanging at the resort. Quick access to the convention center worked out well, too.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in Pelican. This worked out great for easy access to and from the pool...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Destin West Beach and Bay Resort? Share your experiences!