“Very happy at Unit 702, Owner ditched Beacon Management” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
Sea Oats Condominiums
1114 Santa Rosa Blvd., Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Jackson, Michigan
“Very happy at Unit 702, Owner ditched Beacon Management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

From what we read from previous reviews, most of the problems were with Beacon Management. They are no longer on site and many owners have gone with other management companies. The owners of this unit has gone with a private company and we have had excellent service. When we arrived on New Year's Day, we had trouble with the lock and the repairman was there within an hour. He ended up having to change out the lock. I was impressed with this service on a holiday! Unit 702 has been updated and the owners have replaced furnishings and TV's. The den has a 47" flat screen and you feel like you're at the movies! Both beds have memory foam toppers which are great to sleep on. The pool is great and now that Beacon is gone it is heated in the winter. The beach is beautiful and the location is great-close to Hwy 98 and restaurants withing walking distance. We had a few special requests and the owners were very accommodating. This unit is rented on VRBO and we plan to return next winter!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Unit 703, was dirty, had not been cleaned, and we got bed bugs they were in the beds and all in the sofas..
Getting nothing from the owener.. nothing but a run around. Dont rent this unit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

First impression - The room is straight out of the '80s and obviously has not been cleaned since then either. Absolutely disgusting. When we walked in the door for the first time, there was a gross dirty rag in the middle of the floor. I later found out that since I am a government contractor here on business (family in tow on vacation) that we got the bottom of the barrel. We were obviously given the worst of the worst!!! As far as the amenities package that came with my confirmation email, upon our arrival, I was told that since I was military on a "special" rate that we didn't get any of it. All I ask is that if that were the case they should have told us this from the beginning. I am thoroughly disgusted at the way we were treated and the accomodations we received. It is now my mission in life to ensure that no government or military or families for that matter ever stay at another Beacon Resort ever again and I will tell anyone who will listen my story.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed in condo 711 for 5 nights. Overall the condo was very clean and provided great economical value. We had 4 adults and 1 two & a half year old. The condo is a bit dated but cleaned and in good condition. The location of Sea Oats is great as you can walk to many restaurants and stores. Also, the pool and beach are in great shape. I rented the condo through Southern Resorts. They were attentive to our needs and quick to provide service when needed. You do have to pay extra at the beach for chairs and umbrellas when renting through Southern Resorts at this complex---$6 per chair and $12 for umbrella---all per day. If the guy who rents them is not there, just go sit in the chairs and he will definitely find you.

I gave this condo only 3 stars because it is average when compared to the newer resorts on the island. Would I rent it again? Yes, I would rent it when travelling on a budget. If I had a little more to "splurge" a bit, I would pick Waterscape or Azure. Like I said though, great economical value for this area.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
winston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed in unit 409 and had a great time.Very clean and well furnished.Close to many great restaurants.The bedrooms are very large compared to other condos we have stayed in.Complex has large pool,tennis,exercise room,and hot tub.Great value!!!Can't wait till next trip."southern resorts " are great to work with.

Stayed June 2008
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

We stayed at the Sea Oats for nearly a week this past August (Unit 401) which is a beach front unit and had a completely wonderful time. I read the other reviews about unit 709 which seem unusual and would be unnerving after expecting a great time at the beach.

We have stayed at 401 Sea Oats for two years in a row and never noticed any problem like the ones they note (roaches, bad appliances, A/C or property management however, we did not book with Beacon who runs the building and who, I understand, can be tough to deal with). Our unit was an end unit with 3 bedrooms which had been completely remodeled a year prior to our first trip there. Our room had a new refrigerator and a new seperate icemaker machine which was nice to fill up the coolers. There was a DVD player in the living room and all the bedrooms, and a nice stereo also in the living room. The kitchen was well equiped for cooking as we do alot of breakfast cooking for our crowd. The fridge was huge and the unit had a seperate laundry room that my wife liked.

We really liked the pool as it is larger than at most places we have stayed (and the beach of course) and it also has a hot tub in an seperate building next to the beach though it wasnt working the last trip due to the hurricanes, but is now operation, I understand. The building is kind of an older structure (maybe built sometimes in the 1980's) but appears to have been redone on the exterior recently and looks like a more modern condo complex. The elevators (it has two) were a little slow last time but they were working on them when we were there which could have had something to do with it.

Probably the neatest thing about the place is the location right at the Brooks Bridge on the Island near restaurants (fuddpuckers waffle house, pandoras and the bay steamer are all within walking distance), howl at the moon nightclub is within walking distance on the beach, also an alvins island and other beach stores.

We are booked to go there again this August.

Stayed August 2006
New Iberia, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

I will NEVER stay at the Sea Oats in Fort Walton Beach again. Upon checkin, we noticed several problems with our unit (#707). In checking out the equipment in the unit, my husband noticed that the TV in the Master Bedroom would not stay on for more than about 5 seconds. I called the front desk and the staff promised to send up a repairman.

As we unloaded our kitchen items, I noticed two small bugs scurrying along the counter behind the sink. I killed them and hoped for the best. After I returned from the grocery store, I saw several more. They just kept coming out from behind the stove.

Later, when I tried to dry our beach towels, I noticed that the dryer did not heat at all. By this time, I was completely disgusted with the unit. The little problems just seemed to be cropping up everywhere. (I noticed the toilet was running, too.), But the bug problem was the worst thing about the unit. I just cannot live in a place that is infested with roaches. I was also concerned that the roaches would get in my boxes, ride home with me, and infest my home. Is this a relaxing vacation? Not at all.

Around 9 pm, I called the front desk (good thing it was before 10 because the desk closes at 10 on weekdays and at 6 on Saturday), and when I described all the problems with the unit (see below), I was offered the option of moving to a unit two doors down. The view was not as good, but the decor was somewhat nicer, so we decided to go through all the work of repacking and moving to a new unit.

Unfortunately, over the next 4 days, problems repeatedly surfaced at the second unit. The most serious problem was the roaches. I called the desk when I noticed roaches in #709 on Thursday night (after 10) and was told that the desk would be notified the next morning. The exterminator came out around 11:30 am, but I am not sure whether any other units in the building were sprayed. Based on my experience, many of the units may be infested. It does little good to spray one unit without spraying the nearby units and those on floors above and below.

As I was checking out, I heard a man complaining about spending several days trying to get the air conditioning in his 7th floor unit to work. He commented that Beacon Resorts lists a number to call for problems that occur after hours, but that number is answered by a answering service just reports that the staff will be notified in the morning. I bet that was great news to hear when it was 85 degrees in his unit!

In the Sea Oats' defense, other people I met at the pool did not mention a bug problem, so it is difficult to tell how widespread the problem is. One lady told me she comes back every year, and I doubt someone would return every year if they had seen bugs like I did!

THE SEA OATS IS DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!

Problems with Sea Oats #707:
1.Roaches seen in kitchen within a few minutes of entering unit.
2.TV in Master Bedroom comes on for only 5 seconds, then turns off.
3.Dryer does not heat.
4.Toilet runs constantly.
5.Insufficient cookware in kitchen.
6.Generally unnatractive paint color, ripped paint on door, broken weather stripping on door, and scuff marks on walls in several locations. Tile floor with no area rugs (causes problems with sand tracked in from balcony and hallway).

Problems with Sea Oats #709:
1.German roaches seen in kitchen every rental day, even though exterminator came on 2nd day. Killed approximately 5 roaches by hand each day. Two or three found dead on floor each day due to exterminator's chemicals. However, live bugs were still present on the last day. (I killed two or three live ones on last morning.)
2.Television in living room is too small (12 in.).
3.Larger TV in children's bedroom does not have RCA-style hookups for accessories.
4.Bathtub was not clean upon arrival (shampoo in tub).
5.One of the lamps in the master bedroom cannot be plugged in due to lack of extension cord. Office reports that they have no extension cords to use to fix problem.
6.Lamp in Master Bedroom is broken and unstable.
7.Cord for curtains in Master Bedroom does not work well.
8.Curtain liner in Master Bedroom is torn in two places.
9.Drawers in Master Bedroom do not operate properly (fall out if not supported when opened).
10.Washing machine does not wash on cold and does not add cold water to make a warm wash the proper temperature. The only option for rinsing is cold, so it appears the machine does not rinse clothes.
11.Bottom drawer in dishwasher is not supported properly when extended. (Drawer tends to fall inward.)
12.No table on balcony.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Sea Oats Condominiums? Share your experiences!