“Nice uncrowded beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach

You added Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1299 Miracle Strip Parkway, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Hotel deals
“Nice uncrowded beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Recommended for families.

Rooms-

We stayed as a family of 4 in July. I was scared that the rooms would be tiny based on other reviews so I was surprised to find the room to be quite comfortable. There was enough space in the 2 queen room for my family.

The ocean view balcony is a must. Great unobstructed views of the gulf. I would recommend the higher floor.

Nothing fancy but clean and well kept (its new)

Location and amenities- COULD NOT BE BETTER. The beach in front of the hotel was not crowded at all. We chose his location after hearing of the crowded beached in Destin. Plenty of room here. You can rent chairs and an umbrella for the beach, or bring your own.

Pool- My kids loved the pool and lazy river option. Kept them occupied for hours. My husband and I enjoyed the outdoor bar (when it was open). They have an indoor pool too that my kids enjoyed jumping into.

Restaurant- Kids eat free when you eat inside. Very good deal, especially considering the food is good. Breakfast buffet is worth the $11. Get the Cuban (I had it three times). My biggest complaint is that the service. We had 5 different people waiting on us and filling our drinks but it took us an hour to get our food!

Value- $359 a night for a Holiday Inn seems excessive. Yes, its on the beach and had a nice pool but it was still a Holiday Inn and did not have a resort like feel.

I wish I could give this hotel an Excellent rating but for the value and slow service, I have to go with very good.

Room Tip: Higher floor the better and Gulf View is a must!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Hendersonville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We booked a King bed family suite, which means you get a king size bed, with bunks and a separation wall. The kids bunks have an xbox 360, so bring some games for them. It also has 2 really cute bean bag chairs. The room comes with a small "mini" fridge, and the smallest coffee maker I have ever seen. The breakfast that came complimentary with the room type is worth the extra money. Fresh fruit daily, eggs, bacon, pretty much anything you would want for breakfast. Our room was ocean front, which means we overlooked the pool, with the cutest lazy river ever. It is really small lazy river, at times we felt a bit dizzy going around it, but again, it was a blast as the ocean was full of June grass, and seaweed, everyday, you can not control that, but the pool helped. Chairs do not come with the resort, so if you like to go to the beach, be prepared to rent daily, or bring your own. The Gulfarium is a short walk down the beach. About 5 mins. We chose to drive as it was crazy hot the day we went. Worth the visit, it was a lot of fun to see the show. There is a Publix 1 mile from the resort (west) of the resort, easy access. The Pier you can walk to, there are 3 restaurants, we did not eat at them as we ventured in to Destin to shop and check out the boardwalk. If you go to destin, leave a bit early to avoid the traffic. Or just avoid the weekends.

For the money you spend to stay in Destin or Fort Walton, North America really needs to get with the all-inclusive program, more entertainment at night would have been great, meaning more activiities for teenagers. Not much happening at the resort at night, movies again geared to the younger group. It was cool that the movie was played outdoors on the big screen. The video game room, weak!

Overall, the whole resort was cute, the lazy river,fun small and cute. Will we be back, maybe, we will look for a more all inclusive resort for the money. This resort is great for "short"stays.

Enjoy this cute spot!

Room Tip: This is only a 5 floor hotel, face the ocean.
Vance, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

From the time talked to the resort on the phone to confirm my reservation until the morning we left to come home I was more than pleased with my experience. We booked to stay 7 nights, but ended up extending our stay to 8 nights because we just didn't want to leave. It was myself, my wife, and 2 kids, (6 and 3 years old). I spoke with Shay at the front desk on the phone and made a point to find her upon arrival to handle my check in just to see if she was as nice and helpful in person as on the phone. She shook my hand and treated me as if we had known each other for years. As we waited on our room to be ready (because we were 2 hours early) we were able to have full use of the resort and had dinner at Riptides Restaurant inside, which was wonderful as well. As I was unloading our luggage out front I was greeted by Keith (the manager at the resort) to check on us as we were waiting to make sure we were being well taken care of and to see if he could do anything for us. Managing all that goes on at the resort has gotta keep a man busy, but he always made time to speak and even my 6 year old talked about him being a nice man. The room was spotless upon arrival and the housekeeping did a great job on their daily cleaning. I have never been at a place of this size that it seemed no matter what time of the day there was always someone cleaning somewhere, whether it was the lobby, pool area, bathrooms, etc... This is the first pool bathroom that i would go in and out of barefooted and not think a thing about it. I had an issue with the clothes dryer at 10pm one night because it wouldn't take my quarters. I went to the front desk to let them know at 10pm remember thinking they will resolve the problem in the morning. No sooner did i talk to her she had a maintenance man standing there who went back up with me, fixed the issue immediately and paid for my clothes to be dried. Altogether took less than 10 minutes. You don't get that at most places especially at 10pm at night. We ate at the restaurant at least 5 times including breakfast and dinner, and had great food and friendly service ever time. You also if you want don't even have to leave your lounge chair at the pool. They will bring you drinks and food right to your chair and have wait staff continuously walking around checking up on you. We even had a waitress come all the way down to the beach a few times when they were a little slow at the restaurant. Didn't see that coming at all. And another bonus is my kids ate every meal free as long as me and my wife ate as well as long as you are inside the restaurant . They also have things for the kids on a daily basis, whether it was a pirate doing activities with the kids, mermaids swimming around the pool, or movies on the big inflatable screen at night next to the pool. They seem to have something about every day. I still don't feel like I have said enough because I was just really impressed with the facility and the friendliness of everyone on the staff as if they were all glad to be there and enjoyed their jobs. I read reviews before my arrival of staff not being knowledgeable and also unfriendly, but I didn't find that no matter which way I turned. I believe it probably took a little while for all the staff to get settled in at their jobs at a busy resort especially as many things as they have going on, but they seem to have their A game going on now. We stayed on the 5th floor in a King Suite and put my 2 boys on the fold out couch bed and it worked out fine for us. We could lay in the bed in the morning and see the waves coming in. All in all it was a wonderful 8 days and can't wait to do it again. Oh and by the way, the entire front desk staff was very friendly and helpful when needed. But Shay just stuck out in my mind and she is a great asset to the resort.

Room Tip: Top floor for the view, and personally I gotta have gulf view with the balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

DATE: 20-25 July 2014
LOCATION: On the Beach, Close to Gulfarium and Restaurants
OVERALL: A great stay at a great place
EXTERIOR: Clean, well landscaped, plenty of lighting. Hotel is only 2 months old. A walkway to the beach featured both stairs and ramp for handicapped beach goers.
INTERIOR: The interior is very clean and well maintained. A good sized lobby/sitting area offers a great place to hang out, watch television, read or surf the Net. The Bar and restaurant are both located here also.
ROOM: The room was very clean. It had all the standard items you expect, fridge, coffee maker, table w/chairs. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the water was hot.
FITNESS: Small fitness room with treadmills, elliptical, bike, and dumbbells and a television.
POOL: They have an indoor pool and the outdoor pool. The indoor pool was nice and our 9 year old loved it. The outdoor pool offers a nice walk-in pool with a lazy river and waterfall. Plenty of inner tubes and water was great. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas for everyone. You can even order food and drinks and the staff will bring everything to you.
BREAKFAST/EATING: The Holiday Inn does not serve a continental breakfast but they do have a full service restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The prices are about what you would expect from any of the area restaurants and the food is plentiful. Children under 12 eat free with an adult meal. For breakfast you can get the buffet or off the menu. All of the food we had tasted great. The only issue we had was waiting on omelets one morning. The cooks prepare food for the buffet, room service and short order. Other than that everything was fine.
STAFF: Staff was GREAT! Everyone was friendly and helpful. They always greeted us when we walked by. That is something we really look for when we stay somewhere.
OTHER ACTIVITIES: They publish a schedule for the next day’s kid’s activities. They have mermaids, face painting, games, and Dive In Movies. We enjoyed sitting out around the pool watching The Croods.
Special shout out to Stephen in Maintenance. We were in the indoor pool with a couple other people and a couple of boys were diving and trying to make big splashes. They were doing it deliberately and Stephen politely and tactfully asked them to stop. The boys muttered a couple of comments and left. He showed a lot of professionalism. Thank you.
Overall we enjoyed our stay there. It was one of the most relaxing beach vacations we have had in a while. I will definitely plan on staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: Top floor at the end was very quiet.
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Locals told me this was the Ft Lauderdale of the North. This was "Miracle Strip",my miracle was to cover 15 customers, 300 miles from Pensacola to Tallahassee, and points between; in two nights and three days..Hotel has 152 rooms, if you get their after Sunday, you might get a Gulf view room. Efficient staff has breakfast early, because they also have business clients. But if you don't have to go to work, they have pool. It's called 'Lazy River Pool", not by the business people w/coffee rushing out the door; I assure you. They also have indoor pool, great for February when you think your in Alabama.The gym is up to date. The restaurant is very good. The rip tide grill needs new name. The Hot tub, is perfectly placed away from the bar.My room is comfortable with two double beds, you can get a king. I enjoy the facilities, I like near by Gulf Stream Aquarium. Sometimes, I go to Red Lobster, on the water, but not taking advantage of the wide water expanse view.Holiday Inn Cost $$

Room Tip: Gulf of Mexico View and kingsize bed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlyland, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

First - a great location right on the beach, with exceptionally nice pool. So new the location didn't show up on GPS, so clue to find it is look for the large 'beach ball' on the roof. Food was very good, and reasonably priced in lobby restaurant. But...it was only recently opened and the staff was not ready for guest occupancy (IMHO). They get points for trying, but front desk was not helpful, when I complained the full-length mirror in my room was laying on the floor, they took it out instead of re-hanging it. Garbage cans in my room were not emptied on 2 of the 4 nights I stayed. If you are traveling for business the closets are minuscule (even for a guy). Commotion was about average for a beach hotel / family destination. Very convenient to the Emerald Coast Convention Center, literally walking distance if you can get across the highway.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 219-223, which look at the back of the front portico (not even a parking lot view!) Eve...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We enjoyed every minute we spent here both inside and out. We had breakfast and lunch at the hotel with no complaints on the food or the service. The pool is amazing ad most of our time was spent poolside with only a brief walk on the beach. We were thrilled with the staff and will return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach? Share your experiences!