What was supposed to be a quick romantic weekend getaway turned out to be a nightmare.
I reserved a king room and upon arrival the only room they had for us was a room with double beds. I was still charged the same amount and received no concessions whatsoever for the "bait and switch". The couple checking in just ahead of me had the exact same problem with not being given the room they reserved. The front desk guy had an "oh well -- nothing I can do about it attitude" about the whole thing. I'm a Choice Privileges member so I try to stay at these hotels when I travel. However, had I known that I would not have had a king bed so my gal and I could sleep together, I would never have made this reservation in the first place.
Making matters worse was the condition of the room itself. I stayed in room #119. Trash was piled up on the outside grounds right by the side entry exterior door. The room door would not latch unless pushed/pulled hard to engage it (first safety concern). The mirror in bathroom was cracked and had sharp edges as a result (second safety concern). The soap holder at the top of the shower was completely loose (heavy ceramic so this was the third safety concern). The caulking within the shower enclosure looks like a complete amateur did it with their finger. Multiple areas of caulking and grout were mildew stained. The shower curtain had mildew on it. The main window was fogged (compromised seal). The room had a mildew like smell to it. The mattresses were so uncomfortable that we got up at 3:30am on our second night and checked out early because we just couldn't take it anymore.
Yes, the room was large in size. Yes, there was a continental breakfast available but after seeing the issues with the room I was afraid to eat anything for fear of what kind of condition their kitchen would have been in.
I will never stay at this hotel again and quite frankly after receiving zero concessions for the "bait and switch" I am considering never using any Choice hotel again. At over $170 per night, I expected much better. I realize it may not be fair to hold all Choice hotels accountable for the bad experience I had at just one. However, this experience makes me question the commitment that Choice has to their customer service and facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Quality Inn Bayside is located on the Santa Rosa Sound in Ft. Walton Beach. The sugar white beaches of Destin, Okaloosa Island and Sandestin are minutes away. We are proud to offer spacious rooms with a view, a pier for boats, 21 restaurants within a mile of the hotel to include Red Lobster and Waffle House each on either side of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Choice Hotels, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Quality Inn Bayside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn Bayside Hotel Fort Walton Beach
- Quality Inn Fort Walton Beach
- Fort Walton Beach Quality Inn