“BAITED & SWITCHED” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Yorktown, Virginia
“BAITED & SWITCHED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

What was supposed to be a quick romantic weekend getaway turned out to be a nightmare.

I reserved a king room and upon arrival the only room they had for us was a room with double beds. I was still charged the same amount and received no concessions whatsoever for the "bait and switch". The couple checking in just ahead of me had the exact same problem with not being given the room they reserved. The front desk guy had an "oh well -- nothing I can do about it attitude" about the whole thing. I'm a Choice Privileges member so I try to stay at these hotels when I travel. However, had I known that I would not have had a king bed so my gal and I could sleep together, I would never have made this reservation in the first place.

Making matters worse was the condition of the room itself. I stayed in room #119. Trash was piled up on the outside grounds right by the side entry exterior door. The room door would not latch unless pushed/pulled hard to engage it (first safety concern). The mirror in bathroom was cracked and had sharp edges as a result (second safety concern). The soap holder at the top of the shower was completely loose (heavy ceramic so this was the third safety concern). The caulking within the shower enclosure looks like a complete amateur did it with their finger. Multiple areas of caulking and grout were mildew stained. The shower curtain had mildew on it. The main window was fogged (compromised seal). The room had a mildew like smell to it. The mattresses were so uncomfortable that we got up at 3:30am on our second night and checked out early because we just couldn't take it anymore.

Yes, the room was large in size. Yes, there was a continental breakfast available but after seeing the issues with the room I was afraid to eat anything for fear of what kind of condition their kitchen would have been in.

I will never stay at this hotel again and quite frankly after receiving zero concessions for the "bait and switch" I am considering never using any Choice hotel again. At over $170 per night, I expected much better. I realize it may not be fair to hold all Choice hotels accountable for the bad experience I had at just one. However, this experience makes me question the commitment that Choice has to their customer service and facilities.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here unless there is a major overall of the building, management, and staff.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
FortWaltonQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Bayside, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Stephen,
The hotel is providing excellent service and rooms that are totally renovated in our second building. As you were in the Main building, these rooms are not totally completed yet. The hotel would have been pleased to put you in another room regardless of the time.
I hope to see you and your wife back at the hotel and look forward to personally hearing from you and having you enjoy our accommodations.
Have a great day!
Lawrence Nobles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ft. Smith
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The stay was fantastic! We had a great view from the room I stayed in, and the beds were comfy! The flooring was very pretty! The bathroom floors can get dirty fast, so I suggest putting towels on the ground or somethin like that! The bay was fun to hang around in too! The house keepers were on time for towels that we asked for, which was good. Nice updates on the rooms their nice!! The stay was good! Would recommend this hotel.

New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

When we checked in the check in process was good. Courtney at the front desk was very nice and helpful. We were traveling with stand up paddle boards so I was concerned with the size of the room- should we need to bring them in. She assured me our room would be a large room and she was right! Probably one of the largest rooms we have ever stayed in. Our room was "newly remodeled" which I guess meant new floors? Not sure but everything else looked not so new. There was a large duct taped place in the floor- which I thought was strange. The furniture is old in the room and our bedspread had some stains on it. Also the bathroom tub was very old it seemed. The first day our room was not cleaned and we had to go down and ask for more towels - which is obviously a big deal because they only gave us one! Haha. The second morning someone was obviously locked in their room next door which resulted in men banging loud crowbars, hammers, etc on the door. I was glad I wasn't the one locked in my room, though, so remained positive about that. We were approached by some very sketchy men in the parking lot- not sure if they were guests or just hanging out- but it did feel a little strange. All this being said, for the price and a last minute trip it was really OK. Just ask for a "remodeled" room if you go here because if this is a remodeled room I can't imagine what the non remodeled rooms are like!

Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel has been going through a renovation. We knew that when we booked our room but the issues we had can not all be contributed to the renovation. To begin with we called this hotel on a Wednesday night to reserve a room for the very next night. When we arrived on Thursday afternoon it took a long time to check in because they couldn't find our reservation. Fortunately my husband had the confirmation # on him. Once they pulled our reservation up using the number they had us down as a no show because we were "supposed to check in the previous night."
We got a room overlooking the water. When we unlocked the door, the weather stripping around the door wasn't secured and started swinging back and forth. Our shower leaked. There is no closet - just a closetmaid type of rack hanging up but ours had fallen down on one side so it was swinging and un-usable. We hung our few clothes on the shower rod and upon returning to our room a couple hours later the rod had fallen down and our clothes were laying in the bottom of the shower soak and wet from the dripping showerhead. There is no carpet in the hallways or rooms and the floor is COLD! Our thermostat was set on 52 degrees when we entered the room and we could never get it to adjust even when we moved it to 80. We finally turned the entire thing off, although after sitting out at the picnic tables on the beach area for a couple of hours with friends, we came back to our room to find that condensation was all over the floor and it was wet and slippery. I slipped but caught myself before hitting the floor.
The final straw was the morning shower. We were here on a business trip. I woke up at 3:30 am and started the water in the shower. I let it run 20 minutes and it never got hot. My husband woke up at 4:00 am to shower. He had a lukewarm shower to begin with and then it turned scalding hot - he couldn't get it adjusted cooler. I will not ever stay at this hotel again. Too many bad things going on.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
FortWaltonQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Bayside, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I agree with the issues that you have stated. The hotel is a newly purchased franchise with all intentions to invest over $1 Million and is doing so. Unfortunately, those individuals with us over the past couple of weeks are experiencing some of
items that need some tweeking to get them fixed or to the level guests will appreciate. We are not able to close the hotel totally and start and complete all aspects of the renovation. With that said, we will continue to invite guests and let them experience the property as we address the concerns of all guests. The hotel will continue to listen and address concerns of all guests.
Attalla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I read the reviews before staying here & the reviews scared me to death! Well this was one of the only places to stay during 4th of July weekend.. So I booked this place! They are renovating.. & we stayed on the side where the the rooms were very nice!! We had a nice stay!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed in foreign country hostels that were better than this hotel. Yes, garbage is piled extremely high on the side of the hotel blocking the entrance on the side. The room had a sickening odor, and the bed was as hard as a rock. The front desk clerk was rude and seemed bothered by having to check us in. The room was dirty and there was not a maid in site. The hotel's free breakfast was a joke. To add insult to injury I was double billed for the hotel stay. Asked to speak to a manager and was told that there was not one. I had to call choice hotel corporate and launch a formal complaint with them. The corporate supervisor called them with me on the line and witnessed the lady talking rudely to me. Needless to say, this hotel is not up to the usual choice hotel standards!!! Run, don't walk, and get very far from this hotel. It was so bad, that I may never go to Fort Walton again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Walton Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

remodeling needs to take place. garbage should not be left out by the entrance side door.
tub needed to be clean on the outside of tub. doors need to be updated unpleasant older in the hotel and bedrooms. Towels needed to be updated they were very worn, used. the pictures online of the hotel are very deceiving.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Quality Inn Bayside? Share your experiences!