“Hip Bistro in Ft. Walton!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Hip Bistro in Ft. Walton!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We had a great dinner for three at Ali's on a Thursday night. A diverse menu made ordering a tough decision. My wife had the baked grouper with pasta and artichoke hearts and it was delicious. My daughter ordered baked Ziti which was good but not unforgettable--similar to my chicken picatta (a tad too much garlic and the capers were a bit spongy). However, the atmosphere was great and we dined on the outside porch, lined with tiny lights (Tavern on the Green style). Our waitress, Ro, was outstanding. And the manager, Mandy Groves, seemed to go out of her way to not only welcome guests but also to help her waiters and waitresses. The red velvet cake was good but the Tiramisu even better (in fact, it was outstanding). The wine selection was great. If you like dipping sauce, order the homemade olive oil/garlic sauce (for true garlic lovers, it's incredible--and you can take home a bottle of it for about $20--which we did). Ali's is a cool little gem hidden just adjacent to the Brooks bridge before heading onto Okaloosa Island. Finding Ali's is an adventure in itself--but it's well worth the hunt!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pensacola, Florida
“Overpriced, boring food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Beautiful interior, yet boring, overpriced food. Maybe we should've split the $18.95, 12' pizza, but the price alone made me chose otherwise! I ordered a side salad ($5.95) (best item on the table), and the caprese sandwich (close to $10). I've lived in Italy, and this mozzarella was an absolute insult to the Italian Culture. It was not only super cold, which rendered it tasteless (true mozzarella should not be!), it had no olive oil, and was on a sandwich roll that was so thick that it overpowered the sandwich. Even after salting the sandwich and pouring the balsamic drizzle, I couldn't finish. My husband ordered the grilled chicken sandwich, and it was boring as well-it looked like a thawed frozen chicken breast. The calamari that my sister ordered was rubbery, so much so, that she didn't eat it. It was obviously frozen and overpriced as well! My father ordered a shrimp po boy and was told upon ordering that it didn't come with sauce??? What kind of po boy doesn't come with sauce? Overall, a large disappointment with overpriced food. I wouldn't go back if it were the last place to eat. It also took quite some time for the waitress to seat us, then I asked her what the soup of the day was, and she had to confer with another waitress passing by...Disappointment, and I don't see the prices keeping that place afloat. The only reason I gave this two stars was because of the interior-with a pretty nice woman's restroom!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Smyrna, TN
“A great addition to Fort Walton Beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was recently surprised to see a comment on the Destin board that Caio Bella next to McGuires had closed and was I disappointed since it is always one of our go to restaurants in Destin. Imagine my delight when I found out Ali had moved the restaurant to Fort Walton Beach (where we always stay)! My husband and I had dinner at the new Ali's Bistro on March 22 and were not disappointed. All our old favorites are still on the menu (my husband raves about the chicken marsala and I love many of the pasta dishes) and the new location is larger and more upscale than the previous restaurant in Destin.

Cullman, AL
“Open for One Month Headed to the Top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Ali's Bistro will be a fast rising star in Fort Walton Beach. Open in the new location for about a month (after years in Destin), Ali has changed an excellent pizzeria that also served great Italian dishes in Destin to an excellent Italian restaurant that also serves great pizza in Ft. Walton. Tasty menu with good prices and friendly service. Favorite is the Greek salad (plenty for two) with garlic olive oil and bread. Follow with any of the Italian dishes or just a pizza and end with the tiramisu. Can't say the fine food is better than the old location but it is sure served in a nicer setting with ambience. Walk the quaint streets in the area behind the restaurant after dinner….. Worth the drive from Destin to Fort Walton and we will remain a regular of Ali's. Doc

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Yummy food and swanky ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We all ordered something different and we all cleaned our plates! I had the eggplant Parmesan which was served with a side of spaghetti and marinara sauce, delicious! We also ordered the baked ziti, lasagna, chicken Parmesan, pizza, pasta with alfredo sauce. The portions were very satisfying for hearty appetites so needless to say we were not able to try the desserts. The service was wonderful and the "swanky ambiance" made our experience fun and relaxing.