“Love this place!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Mobile, Alabama
“Love this place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I have visited this hotel for the second time. This time the rooms had been renovated and the lobby/breakfast area was as well. My kids really loved the pool area, beach, and especially the breakfast. The team was outstanding and special mention for Daniel in evenings. He was very accommodating and understanding. I appreciate his kindness. We will return again, and again. Great Job, Hampton Team!!

Room Tip: Try for a balcony on the opposite side of the pool area. If it's windy, the balconies by the poo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Fairhope, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The hotel staff was really nice and helpful but the hotel still needs some work. The rooms weren't bad but the pool is really small with no hot tube. The business center was a complete joke, the pc's didn't even work and the staff even made comments about how they were the slowest pc's in Florida. Took me about 30 mins to do a simple web search and they even have two pc's and both were having issues. The only real good point is that the hotel is right on the beach, if it wasn't on the beach i would never stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hamptonfwb, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
I'm sorry for the inconvenience you encountered with our Business Center computers and we are looking into future upgrades. I'm glad to hear the beach was convenient for your needs and our staff was friendly and accommodating. We look forward to welcoming you back with updated offerings.

Kind Regards,
Rachel Joyce
Crestview, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Average hotel. Front desk, Amanda was really nice and talkative. The pool is empty and out of order, some guests weren't happy about that but the hotel is literally on the beach (no views from the room however) but takes no time at all to get to the beach. The breakfast ran out of sausage gravy at 9:30am when it was suppose to be until 10am but the items were good, much better than typical continental breakfast. Our room was nice, super comfortable beds; only issue was there were candy wrappers and toe nail clippers on the closet floor. Over all, good but not great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach front to avoid a longer walk.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hamptonfwb, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Clean, comfortable surroundings should be a standard when you stay with us. While I'm glad to hear that most of your stay was great, I apologize for the cleanliness issues you encountered in your guest room and have addressed this with our housekeeping staff. We appreciate the compliments about Amanda and thanked her for showing our guests the true Hamptonality we pride ourselves in daily. We look forward to welcoming you back. Please come see us again.

Kind Regards,
Rachel Joyce
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We would go back to FL and stay here again. It's hard to find a nice clean place right ON the beach, that offers cabanas (not all condos do), as well as breakfast!

We were in Room 151, and literally walked out our door and had sand 10 feet away. I paid little more to face the ocean and walk out to the ocean-side, but my husband had an ankle issue and so it was better to do that. The hotel doesn't have many rooms that face the ocean, but for an average family, you aren't in the room much, so it's really not a necessity. It's located between 2 tall condos on the beach. One issue was since we were by the outside door, it slammed as did the stairway door outside our door--I wish they'd put a door-closer on that!

The sand here is perfect...can't ask for more. They don't get the shells due to the location, but after staying in several other Florida/California/Texan/Caribbean/Mexican locations, I found the panhandle beaches perfect. With the way safety and prices are now days, why not give the tourism to the USA and not cost as much anyway!

There were families, teams, and couples there. We had a few spring breakers, but not once did I feel anyone was loud. The hotel staff was VERY friendly, and when asked for help, each one of them immediately stepped up with great attitudes. We had a beach issue our first day where there is a sign that to reserve a cabana you go to some guy in a yellow station, but we didn't see him, so we decided to have the teens eat first and had our 15-year-old daughter go out while we ate then. We only had three days there--that's why I insisted on a hotel right on the sand..and I wanted a cabana the day we'd be there to relax and not have any day trips planned. Unfortunately they have a beach co. do the cabana rentals, and the guy took her clothes off the chairs, handed them to her, and stuck another family's name on it even though she said we were on our way out and wanted to rent it. I called the front desk and the guy immediately met me outside and handled the situation very professionally.

The breakfast was a great addition, and quite honestly, sold me on this hotel above others. When you don't have to take the family out to eat first thing in the morning or munch only on fruit in your room, we have a better day. They could overstock in anticipation of a mid-morning rush, as it gets busy. One day all 3 cereal bins were out, silverware, fruit and waffle mix. The food was always good and I felt sorry for the young girl who was rushing to fix everything. Food selection was nice--waffles, breads/muffins/bagels/pastry (usually most places don't include all of that), plus eggs/sausage, cereals, juice bar, fruit and yogurt. Hampton has one of the most full free breakfast choices.

I have to comment that whenever we met the housekeeping staff in the hall, they spoke to us, asking how our day was or saying, "Good morning!" I appreciated that because these are people who enter your room with your private belongings and it's always an odd feeling that you know strangers will come in and clean your room. Our ladies were always very personable, visited appropriately, answered a few questions, and were upbeat and friendly. One morning we were running late and planned to leave the room around 11. They stopped by at maybe 9:30 or 10, and so my husband asked her to return. When we returned at 5, she hadn't, and all we really wanted was clean towels and garbages, so I phoned housekeeping. Within 2 minutes we had 2 ladies at our door, profusily apologizing, and going above and beyond to make sure we were happy. I think the whole thing was a misunderstanding and the first lady thought we didn't want service, and she went home feeling ill that day. It was no big deal, no one died, and we got fresh towels, toiletrees, etc. The two ladies were awesome and raced around to do it quickly. The next morning we had a new young brunette lady, probably in her early 20's who had just started working there. We were greeted with a friendly good morning as we came back from breakfast. I had a question for her, and then she ended up coming to our room to clean. Quite honestly, I feel she would be better as a front desk staff person...she was smiley, personable, friendly, and we asked her some questions about Destin and she was an absolute gem of an employee. The ladies she was working with were also nice and I felt they had a rapport and were enjoying their work, which isn't something you witness often. I also appreciate how the staff here cleaned rooms in the morning! We've stayed in Clearwater, St. Pete's Beach, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, Miami, and other places in Florida, and we were lucky to have a clean room by 6 p.m!!

I feel the management of this hotel puts a priority of telling staff to welcome guests and be pleasant because every employee we encountered from three front desk staff to housekeeping, everyone was pleasant and worked hard. What stuck me about these people though was the "extra step" they took to look you in the eye, ask if there was anything else we needed, and they intentionally wanted to please. We've stayed at many hotels and even at 4*, you see staff do only what is absolute necessary, they don't smile, and they ask like a question is a bother. Not here.

My only suggestions would be to (1) add a door stopped to slow down the door on the first level outside room 151 so it doesn't slam all day and night to those sleeping closeby and to have an info technology person take a look at the 2 lobby computers and either upgrade their processors, check for viruses or get them faster internet speeds. Several people talked about that, and we ran into issues where it would just sit on the internet...we couldn't pull up the weather forcast some times nor could we check in for our flights because it was so slow.

to make customers feel welcome.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Great place and a very friendly staff in all catagories. Planned on staying only one day but with atmosphere and service extended my stay for two more days for more fun in the sun. Being able to reach the beach by walking down the hallway, open the door, and your on the beach is great way to start your morning.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Daniel and Kevin and Jessica worked so hard to be very professional we enjoyed our stay thoroughly . I would recommend this location to anyone. we will walk right outside of our door and then we were on the beach .

• Stayed April 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I made a reservation with the Hampton Inn reservation line. I specifically told the agent the type of room I was looking for. I stated that I was traveling with 6 people- 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 teenagers. I told the agent that I wanted a suite with a separate bed room. The agent booked my reservation for the Easter weekend and stated that she had only one more room left to accommodate me so I hurried and booked it. I thought a room rate of 220.00 was a good deal for a one room suite for a holiday weekend. When I arrived at the hotel the front desk clerk was very friendly and the check-in process went smoothly. I was so happy and excited until I opened the door to my room. There I see a room with 2 beds and a pull out couch with no separate bedroom. I was mortified. Imagine being in a room with no privacy with 4 kids. I immediately called the front desk and was told that they do not have suites at the Hampton Inn, just regular old rooms. I told the front desk clerk that I was told I would be in a suite and was never informed of this. He replied that you are in a suite, a JR suite... Again I was so upset!!! He had the manager to call me back, now at this point I was so mad that my head was pounding but I remained calm and not at all rude. This is one of the reasons for not wanting to go back- I felt like I was lied to twice. The manager said that she is very sorry for my inconvenience and would reduce my rate to the standard room rate. She said your rate is 249.00 and the standard rate is 199.00. My room rate was not 249.00 it was 220.00 and the front desk clerk had already told me earlier that the standard room rate was 169.00. So you see, this hotel tells nothing but lies. She wanted me to feel like she was giving me this huge discount when in fact, she only reduced my rate by 20 bucks... WOW. Now I’m not the type that wants something for nothing but please do not lie to me. I didn't either bother letting her know that my rate is only 220.00 and the standard rate was told to me earlier to be 169.00. I just was like whatever because I did not want to spoil the rest of my trip getting into a confrontation. I JUST WANT TO LET EVERY BODY KNOW WHEN DEALING WITH HAMPTON, TO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING WHAT YOU WERE PROMISED AND PAID FOR.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach? Share your experiences!