“The gourmet part of a sunset sailing ” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Mary Esther, Florida
“The gourmet part of a sunset sailing ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Sailing with the whole wolf pack, 8 grown ups and 5 kids we could easily dock our boat in front of the bay cafe. Extra table for the kids was ready and a brilliant idea. Enjoyed crab legs for all as appetizer, duck, beef, fish and shrimps made the dinner a blast. Sailing back to the Yacht club under moon and stars and a dinner at the bay cafe are the perfect combination for perfect evening.

88% Recommend
Mary Esther, Florida
“A touch of French cuisine on the Emerald Coast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Bay Cafe is an off-the-beaten-path restaurant sitting at the foot of Brook's Bridge on the Fort Walton Beach side of the inter-coastal waterway. A favorite of boaters and locals, it remains more unknown to tourists and the locals like it this way!
We visited for a night out on Friday, September 13, 2013, and arrived to a mostly empty restaurant at 6 p.m. . Having our choice of seating, we elected to sit outside in the still-warm September evening, with a beautiful view of Choctawhatchee Bay and Destin. We ordered partially-shelled blue crab claws for an appetizer, along with drinks from an extensive wine and beer list. Served "scampi-style" the claws were succulent with perhaps just a hint too much garlic.
Dinner drew from the local seafood market with dishes featuring Cobia and Amberjack. Both were perfectly cooked and matched with a savory mashed potato croquette and fresh green vegetable. A single complaint regarding steak thickness--the Cobia was a near perfect half inch, while the AJ presented at a bit less than a quarter. The portions were ample for the $20 entree price; the thinness of the second entree gave the appearance of cost-cutting.
After a satisfying dinner and shared Creme Brulee for dessert, we requested the bill. Upon arrival, the sun was gone and deck lights illuminated; the reduced lighting made reviewing the bill difficult and I would recommend a flashlight or other illuminating device for the next visitor. When we rose to leave, I noted that nearly every seat, both inside and outside, had occupants. My mention is two-fold: first, the restaurant does get busy and I would recommend reservations; two, the calm quiet of the atmosphere belied the increased activity of new patrons.
In summary, the Bay Cafe is a terrific hide-away spot for dinner and is recommended by this author. Without question, a dining patron should elect an entree from the local seafood of the magnificent Gulf Coast while reminiscing on a recent trip to Europe over a delicious Mosel Riesling or Belgian beer.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Saint Joe, Florida, United States
“Bay Cafe Under Brook's Bridge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This French Bistro enjoys a fabulous location under Brook's Bridge. Best to dine outside and watch the boats go by on the Intercoastal Waterway. Julian is the owner chef and he takes pride in every wine and meal he presents. I especially like liver and onions and he always does a magnificent job. My husband enjoys the sweet breads. It is as if you have been transported to Europe when you dine here.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I loved Bay Cafe. I had a wonderful meal and dessert. When we finished our meal we walked on a nice pier and saw lots of fish and a couple jellyfish.

Visited July 2013
Niceville, Florida
“GREAT HOSTESS, AWFUL SERVER”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband took me to lunch there, we have gone there for 23 years and loved it, the food was amazing, the hostess was great, the server was the worst She brought us are check while we were still eating our entree, and never asked us if we wanted dessert. She returned about a minute later to pick it up, I was still eating and didn't even have a chance to put my card in her book. We had to flag her down for a second wine, and it wasn't even busy. she gave me my wine, and gave my Husbands to the table behind us. Very disappointed..

• Visited August 2013