We just returned from a 5-day stay at the Waterscape condos and had a great time! We stayed in Unit A326, which is in a great location overlooking the upper level pool area and very close to the parking ramp. It is updated and very nice (granite, tile, bunk beds, 2 full bathrooms, laundry, etc.), although it must have sat empty for some time, as it hadn't been dusted and the floors were dirty/sandy.
The property itself is very nice, well taken care of and clean. The pools are nice sized with different things for the kids to do, splash pools, a snack bar (which desperately needs more than 2 employees), a lazy river and is within steps to the beach. The amenity card that comes with the unit allows you 2 chairs and an umbrella per day to use on the beach, which is definitely a nice perk.
The Waffle House directly in front of the resort is small but the servers are always happy and the food is great!
It's generally very quiet in the buildings. You occasionally can hear little feet running up and down the halls but for the most part, we couldn't hear other units or people talking outside at all.
If you've never stayed at an owner-resort before, it's a bit of a different process. We checked in after 5pm and, as the Resort Quest front desk folks are happy to tell you, "this is not a full service hotel"! For late check ins, you go to this little cubby by the front lobby, use the phone to call a secret number and they give you a secret code to open the secret door to retrieve your packet. Examine the packet carefully! This has your gate code, wi-fi code, etc. but it's hidden pretty well if you're just flipping through the papers and not paying attention (which is what I did).
Because this resort is not like a hotel, there is no housekeeping service and your supplies in the unit are limited (although this unit had an abundance of bath towels, oddly enough). For instance, you are provided with 1 box of laundry soap and one (1) roll of toilet paper for the entirety of your stay. Understanding that they shouldn't have to fund your laundry for the week, one roll of toilet paper --- for four (4) people, for five (5) days? Anyway, if you're there for more than a few days, plan to make a trip to the Tom Thumb down on the corner.
The units are owned by individuals who presumably are responsible for repairs, maintenance, etc. This particular unit needed some love in the way of fresh paint, wiping down walls, locks on the doors, etc. (there are two sliding glass doors in this unit and neither of them had functional locks but instead used 2x4s or whatever to block them from sliding open). Just FYI that there are some things Resort Quest may not handle.
The parking ramp is an absolute nightmare. I don't know what the architect was thinking in the design phase but it's two-way traffic throughout, there are huge columns at every turn and very limited space for cars to pass. You have to completely stop before going up to the next level to let other cars by. If someone takes the corner too fast and isn't watching ahead for cars, there could be issues. There simply is not enough space in there for a two-lane format.
I don't know if this is a 'con' necessarily but there are no restaurants or bars attached to the resort. That being said, the resort is within walking distance - or a short drive - to just about everything so it's a non-issue. There are several grills in the pool areas as well that were always busy.
One final comment (also not a con): this is a very family friendly resort. Lots of kids around all the time. If you're looking for an adult get-away, this is not the place for you.
Overall, we would definitely recommend Waterscape. We will stay somewhere else next time but only because Destin is beautiful and we like to try different places.
Sidenote: Boshamps restaurant in Destin is a must! Fantastic food, beautiful views and a fun sandy area for the kids to mess around in. Loved it!
- Also Known As:
- Waterscape Condominiums Hotel
- Waterscape Condominiums Hotel Fort Walton Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterscape Condominiums, professionally managed by Wyndham Vacation Rentals, are located on beautiful Okaloosa Island, which is infamous for its emerald green waters and white sandy beaches. Waterscape was constructed as a U-shaped property to house the "heartbeat" of the facility; the tropical oasis and pools. Waterscape has a two tiered pool deck separated by a 10 foot waterfall. The lower pool deck includes a large zero entry pool with spray toys and lily pads for the young at heart. The resort's lower pool deck features a long lazy river for you to float down on resort inner tubes. The upper deck houses a seasonally heated pool. There is a children's splash area on the upper pool deck that features toys for toddlers and a covered play area for maximum sun protection. There are two hot tubs located in the tropical oasis for your relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Venere, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Waterscape Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.