“Wouldn't book again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Waterscape Condominiums

Save Saved
You added Waterscape Condominiums to your Saves list
Waterscape Condominiums
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1110 Santa Rosa Blvd, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Morgan City, Louisiana
“Wouldn't book again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

First off I have never had to write a review. I was very disappointed in the condition of this condo. We paid $1750 for 3 nites, which in my book is rather pricey. We like to stay in nice places when we go to the beach. The unit C 600 looked like it had not been cleaned in a while. The ceiling fans had a buildup of dust, comforters had chocolate stains on them, walls were filthy, patio furniture was not great, floors were filthy, horrible pillows and beds, and furniture definately needed updating. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and children (11 & 15) had a great time. The 1 BR condo with double bunks was perfect. The kitchen was stocked with dishes, pans and small wares. Granite countertops are great in the kitchen and the place is nicely furnished. The room also had a full size couch and oversized chair both with pullout beds. This room can sleep 7, but not comfortably. Covered parking is readily available. If you dont like being around kids of any age group, Dont Go to this location. If you dont like crowds in the resort or poll, DONT GO. If you want romance or quiet time, DONT GO. Otherwise, it's a great spot. The resort is located in a perfect location in FW, but traffic can be tough traveling into Destin. There are restaurants, package store (across street) and beach specialty stores close by. Food can be purchased at Publix .5miles away, but the prices are CRAZY. Drive 2.5miles up Beal Parkway to Walmart for the best deals. Approx 8 gas grills on the property....great for saving money on meals and poolside cooking is great. The rooms are overpriced, but nice. My 7 day stay was $2300 all in during peak season in Jul. Wait until Aug and prices drop considerably. The rate is high because of the pools mainly targeting kids For this rate, you can get similar or better in Santa Rosa area. In summary, great place for family!!

Room Tip: There is no daily room service. Kid resort.....not for couples
Jonesboro, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I should've taken more of the negative reviews seriously, but I didn't. This place was recommended by a friend of ours so we thought it would be great.

Our favorite towel was confiscated while my husband was IN the pool with our two children (ages 4 and 8). I guess he exceeded the 45 minute time allowance out of your chair...GRR! They have a room called the towel jail that I went to try to find our towel, but it was anywhere that I could see. There were two walls full of towels, shoes, toys, chairs, etc. Plus the room had a terrible mildew smell because of all the wet towels being kept in there for so long. EWW!

It was nearly impossible to find chairs by the lower level pool. We would end up sitting our family of 4 on 1 chair, and that was not relaxing for the price that you pay. We were on the 3rd row of beach chairs on the first day. Because of their ages, we obviously can't be that far away from our kids while they are in the water or playing near it. I just sat down there at the water on a towel. I thought it would be no biggie to get down there early the next day to get a front row chair. On the next day, I did get a chair right on the front, but I had to get down there at 7:10 and didn't get our chair until 8:15am. That was an entire hour wasted only to find people with their own chairs parked in front of us once we got back down with the kids. You didn't feel like you had much privacy on your balcony because the other building was immediately beside us and you could see & hear everything that they were doing on their balcony as well.

Our room was standard. Someone had spilled something under the bed that was nasty looking, and then our screen was ripped going out to the balcony. It wasn't up to my cleaning standards when we arrived as there were still fingerprints and food on the handles of the refrigerator. The dryer would only work on HIGH, and I would have to restart it at least 5 times per load. I finally gave up and saved laundry for home. Also, the sheets were too small for our bed so they wouldn't even stay on while we slept. The grounds were pretty and well maintained, but it just isn't worth the cost. We have stayed many places from Navarre to Destin, Perdido Key, Gulf Shores, 30A & Fort Walton Beach and this was our least favorite. We are very low maintenance. We like to walk on the beach & enjoy family time together. We will stay somewhere else next year. On a positive note, the kids did enjoy the kid activities that they had planned each day. We did receive hair feathers and tattoos and both of my girls hair feathers fell out the very next day.

Gainesville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've never reviewed a hotel or vacation spot anywhere, so you know I feel strongly about this. We vacationed here from July 13-20, 2013. Honestly, we paid $3,400 for the week to stay in a 3rd floor unit in "B" Building right in front of the lazy river. We have stayed in places East of Destin for about $1,500 for the week, and had a much more relaxed and nicer experience. Bottom line for this review: we had a nice time, but won't be returning to Waterscape.

PROS:
1. Our unit was beautiful and well-appointed. Beds were comfy. Shower had wonderful pressure and was huge. Ceiling fan was broken in 2nd BR, but was promptly fixed within 10 min of calling. Unit had a side-view of gulf...it was a much nicer view than expected.

2. The grounds are GORGEOUS and well-maintained. The pools and deck are very clean.

3. The beach is a nice, easy, short walk from condos. Nice showers to get sand off when returning.

4. They did have various activities scheduled throughout the week for the kids. (mine were 9 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl) For an additional fee, we had sno-cones ($2 each) and tie-dyed t-shirts for $10 ea. They also had 2 movie nights on a blow-up screen by the pool and karioke night.

5. Our 2 BR 2.5 Bath unit had two bunk beds just for the kiddos in a little alcove area. THEY LOVED THIS!

CONS:
1. The cost. This is one of THE most expensive condos in Ft. Walton. If you go, consider staying in the cheapest unit you can find. The "view" is indeed nice, but it wasn't a full-on view and for the price we paid, we could have stayed for 2 weeks with a full-view elsewhere.

2. RULES RULES RULES. It's been said on this site many many times, but they are indeed RULE NAZIS here. I thought, it really can't be that bad. Yes, it is! Yes, it's crowded. Yes, it's peak season. Yes, it's July. But honestly folks, for $3,400 for the week, I should be able to put my stuff on at least ONE CHAIR by the pool at 8am without having to go "tag" my towel, unfold it, lest it be confiscated by the "TOWEL NAZI" repeatedly throughout the day! My kids are 9 & 7. They want to swim for 45 min...then go to the beach for 45 min.....then go to the room for 45 min...then back to the pool. THEY ARE KIDS. THEY ARE IN CONSTANT MOTION! It is not at all relaxing to have to worry about whether or not my towel will be "folded" as a warning, then confiscated if I'm not actually sitting in my chair for 45 min. You know what...it's first come, first serve. Get your butt out of bed and go get your chair. End of story. Now, I understand the rules are there for people who may come reserve 8-10 chairs right by the pool. That's just rotten behavior and shouldn't be allowed. But this policy SERIOUSLY needs to be re-thought by management. Perhaps you should get a clip...ONE per condo rented. You SHOULD be able to just go down and clip it to your chair and have it be YOURS FOR THE DAY, or until you decide to vacate it!

I got yelled at for drinking a BOTTLE OF WATER...IN PLASTIC poolside on a 95 degree day. I had to sit by the edge to make sure my 7 yr old (who is not a strong swimmer) did not DROWN. It wasn't a glass of soda or an alcoholic beverage...it was a stinkin plastic bottle of WATER!

My daughter was told that she couldn't have her own inner tube in the lazy river....on the last day we were there. She has used it the entire week without a problem. It is the EXACT size and shape of their inner-tubes, only it has an enclosed bottom so she can SIT in it. Theirs don't. Many other kids were jumping in the lazy river (also not allowed) and had all sorts of their own flotation devices in there...and snorkels...and fins...etc. I never once saw anyone approach them about "breaking the rules."

We are not rule-breakers. We are dream-renters...the kind that mop the floor and make the beds before we leave a unit. We are a doctor and a lawyer. We are upper-middle-class people with money to spend....our kids are well-behaved.

I was also asked to "leave" the hot tub once because there were "too many people in it."

Was also reprimanded when my daughter brought her inner tube floaty in the main pool...it wasn't even crowded that day. The pool Nazi said "well, can you imagine what it would be like if we had seven of those in the pool?" Um, you didn't.....you never did....not one....all week.

One time, I snagged two chairs right in front of the snack bar...on the END. Got there at 8am to do so. I came back only to find that some REDNECK woman with NO MANNERS had dragged 3 pool chairs from across the way, set them up right next to mine, BLOCKED the walkway for everyone, and essentially left me in "the middle." Not ONCE did anyone yell at her for doing that.

On the first night, my husband was yelled at for bringing raw chicken breasts down in a glass casserole dish to grill. NO GLASS AROUND THE POOL OR GRILLS. Um, okay fine BUT THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE IN THE CONDO TO BRING THE MEAT DOWN IN EXCEPT FOR A GLASS DISH!!!!!!! Make the owners furnish their units with metal pans if you're going to yell at guests for this. Also, again, saw many others with glass dishes, bowls, etc. poolside and never once did I see them get reprimanded.

VACATIONS should be about relaxing. This place made me very uptight.

3. If you get a unit over looking the pool area, be prepared to lose some sleep. We are "early to bed, early to rise" kinda folks. My whole family is usually asleep by 8pm and up by 4-5am, yes even on vacation. I did not like hearing awful singing on karioke night well past 10pm right outside my window. Nor did I appreciate hearing the noise from the outdoor movie night past 9:30pm. I am a light sleeper and was kept awake.

4. Forget the beach. People get down there at 7am to "stake out their claim" for a chair, which I thought was just hilarious. We got down there by 9:30am and got a 2nd row chair that we just plopped our stuff on, never actually sat in. People eventually bring their own towels, chairs, and umbrellas and SET UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RENTED FIRST ROW....so don't even bother to waste your time. I never got another chair....I'd just take a towel and sit on it...as I said, 45 min later, my kids wanted to do something else.

5. The lazy river is WALL TO WALL INNER TUBES after 10am. If you like floating elbow to elbow with strangers, then by all means jump right in.

6. There was NO BROOM in our unit! As I said above, we are "dream renters" and actually leave the place better than we found it. The vacuum was useless trying to get the sand off the floor and we even tried mopping it. Eventually, we just called down and a broom was sent up. There was NO WOODEN SPOON in the condo! We felt so bad, we went out and bought a set for $0.89 just to leave in the unit for the next family.! Also, salt and pepper shakers would be nice. I don't need a whole spice rack....but a simple salt and pepper set would be really really nice.

*******************

For $3,400 per week, I expected alot more. But the RULES part killed it. Won't be coming back...sorry.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I tried writing a review to the management company, ResortQuest first but still have not received a response. The condo - A201 was a beachfront room that was very expensive and completely in need of lots of repairs. I was terribly disappointed in the quality of furniture and most importantly the mattresses in all the rooms. All the screen doors were ripped, the furniture was so shakey we told our kids to not touch it, coffee table. There was horrible patio furniture. We will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2013
Jasper
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I will write more next week when we actually return, but I didn't want to waste one more minute in case today might be the day you book this resort. If anyone is contemplating staying here I would encourage them not to. We have vacationed every year for over 15 years at many nice resorts in various areas, but this is the first one where I have seen the security guards and rules entirely over the top. I am not, and never have been, a rule breaker and I am one who understands the importance of rules. But, during the 3 days we have been here so far we have had towels confiscated, my husband was having a drink (NOT in any type of a glass container) while trying to relax in the hot tub which was told was not allowed, I tried to read on the pool deck this morning at 7:40 am (and was told I couldn't even sit there and read before 8:00 am), and the list honestly goes on. One morning we had our chairs on the beach ready for the day and the Waterscape hotel workers politely put their chairs and umbrellas from the resort right in front of us. And yes, I realize those are for people who have paid for chairs and an umbrella, but what does that mean for us who brought our chairs and umbrella? Does that make us any less important? I do not hold anything against the workers - I'm sure they are just doing their jobs, but the board of directors/management/whoever they are really needs to take a look at this. Vacations should be just that....vacations. Unfortunately we won't be back and it is a place I would not recommend for people to stay. We / friends / family have been to the Destin area numerous times and wanted to try Waterscape....I am sorry that we did. And what is strange...this is the most expensive beach condo we've ever stayed at and the most difficult to get along with. I read the reviews before I booked it and I thought....no, that can't be....they can't possibly be that strict so I went out on a limb and booked it. I just thought when I read those reviews....those people must have just been rule breakers in general. Well, now I see that they more than likely weren't....they were just feeling what we are feeling this week.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrollton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is one the best place we have stayed in Florida. The staffs are wonderful and our kids love the pool and the convenience access to the beach. The room is equipped with everything to cook with. You just have to bring food. Knowing what your kids are eating is better than eating out. Save $$$ at the same time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Waterscape Condominiums? Share your experiences!