“think twice before booking here” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waterscape Condominiums

Save Saved
You added Waterscape Condominiums to your Saves list
Waterscape Condominiums
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1110 Santa Rosa Blvd, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Gainesville, Georgia
“think twice before booking here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've never reviewed a hotel or vacation spot anywhere, so you know I feel strongly about this. We vacationed here from July 13-20, 2013. Honestly, we paid $3,400 for the week to stay in a 3rd floor unit in "B" Building right in front of the lazy river. We have stayed in places East of Destin for about $1,500 for the week, and had a much more relaxed and nicer experience. Bottom line for this review: we had a nice time, but won't be returning to Waterscape.

PROS:
1. Our unit was beautiful and well-appointed. Beds were comfy. Shower had wonderful pressure and was huge. Ceiling fan was broken in 2nd BR, but was promptly fixed within 10 min of calling. Unit had a side-view of gulf...it was a much nicer view than expected.

2. The grounds are GORGEOUS and well-maintained. The pools and deck are very clean.

3. The beach is a nice, easy, short walk from condos. Nice showers to get sand off when returning.

4. They did have various activities scheduled throughout the week for the kids. (mine were 9 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl) For an additional fee, we had sno-cones ($2 each) and tie-dyed t-shirts for $10 ea. They also had 2 movie nights on a blow-up screen by the pool and karioke night.

5. Our 2 BR 2.5 Bath unit had two bunk beds just for the kiddos in a little alcove area. THEY LOVED THIS!

CONS:
1. The cost. This is one of THE most expensive condos in Ft. Walton. If you go, consider staying in the cheapest unit you can find. The "view" is indeed nice, but it wasn't a full-on view and for the price we paid, we could have stayed for 2 weeks with a full-view elsewhere.

2. RULES RULES RULES. It's been said on this site many many times, but they are indeed RULE NAZIS here. I thought, it really can't be that bad. Yes, it is! Yes, it's crowded. Yes, it's peak season. Yes, it's July. But honestly folks, for $3,400 for the week, I should be able to put my stuff on at least ONE CHAIR by the pool at 8am without having to go "tag" my towel, unfold it, lest it be confiscated by the "TOWEL NAZI" repeatedly throughout the day! My kids are 9 & 7. They want to swim for 45 min...then go to the beach for 45 min.....then go to the room for 45 min...then back to the pool. THEY ARE KIDS. THEY ARE IN CONSTANT MOTION! It is not at all relaxing to have to worry about whether or not my towel will be "folded" as a warning, then confiscated if I'm not actually sitting in my chair for 45 min. You know what...it's first come, first serve. Get your butt out of bed and go get your chair. End of story. Now, I understand the rules are there for people who may come reserve 8-10 chairs right by the pool. That's just rotten behavior and shouldn't be allowed. But this policy SERIOUSLY needs to be re-thought by management. Perhaps you should get a clip...ONE per condo rented. You SHOULD be able to just go down and clip it to your chair and have it be YOURS FOR THE DAY, or until you decide to vacate it!

I got yelled at for drinking a BOTTLE OF WATER...IN PLASTIC poolside on a 95 degree day. I had to sit by the edge to make sure my 7 yr old (who is not a strong swimmer) did not DROWN. It wasn't a glass of soda or an alcoholic beverage...it was a stinkin plastic bottle of WATER!

My daughter was told that she couldn't have her own inner tube in the lazy river....on the last day we were there. She has used it the entire week without a problem. It is the EXACT size and shape of their inner-tubes, only it has an enclosed bottom so she can SIT in it. Theirs don't. Many other kids were jumping in the lazy river (also not allowed) and had all sorts of their own flotation devices in there...and snorkels...and fins...etc. I never once saw anyone approach them about "breaking the rules."

We are not rule-breakers. We are dream-renters...the kind that mop the floor and make the beds before we leave a unit. We are a doctor and a lawyer. We are upper-middle-class people with money to spend....our kids are well-behaved.

I was also asked to "leave" the hot tub once because there were "too many people in it."

Was also reprimanded when my daughter brought her inner tube floaty in the main pool...it wasn't even crowded that day. The pool Nazi said "well, can you imagine what it would be like if we had seven of those in the pool?" Um, you didn't.....you never did....not one....all week.

One time, I snagged two chairs right in front of the snack bar...on the END. Got there at 8am to do so. I came back only to find that some REDNECK woman with NO MANNERS had dragged 3 pool chairs from across the way, set them up right next to mine, BLOCKED the walkway for everyone, and essentially left me in "the middle." Not ONCE did anyone yell at her for doing that.

On the first night, my husband was yelled at for bringing raw chicken breasts down in a glass casserole dish to grill. NO GLASS AROUND THE POOL OR GRILLS. Um, okay fine BUT THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE IN THE CONDO TO BRING THE MEAT DOWN IN EXCEPT FOR A GLASS DISH!!!!!!! Make the owners furnish their units with metal pans if you're going to yell at guests for this. Also, again, saw many others with glass dishes, bowls, etc. poolside and never once did I see them get reprimanded.

VACATIONS should be about relaxing. This place made me very uptight.

3. If you get a unit over looking the pool area, be prepared to lose some sleep. We are "early to bed, early to rise" kinda folks. My whole family is usually asleep by 8pm and up by 4-5am, yes even on vacation. I did not like hearing awful singing on karioke night well past 10pm right outside my window. Nor did I appreciate hearing the noise from the outdoor movie night past 9:30pm. I am a light sleeper and was kept awake.

4. Forget the beach. People get down there at 7am to "stake out their claim" for a chair, which I thought was just hilarious. We got down there by 9:30am and got a 2nd row chair that we just plopped our stuff on, never actually sat in. People eventually bring their own towels, chairs, and umbrellas and SET UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RENTED FIRST ROW....so don't even bother to waste your time. I never got another chair....I'd just take a towel and sit on it...as I said, 45 min later, my kids wanted to do something else.

5. The lazy river is WALL TO WALL INNER TUBES after 10am. If you like floating elbow to elbow with strangers, then by all means jump right in.

6. There was NO BROOM in our unit! As I said above, we are "dream renters" and actually leave the place better than we found it. The vacuum was useless trying to get the sand off the floor and we even tried mopping it. Eventually, we just called down and a broom was sent up. There was NO WOODEN SPOON in the condo! We felt so bad, we went out and bought a set for $0.89 just to leave in the unit for the next family.! Also, salt and pepper shakers would be nice. I don't need a whole spice rack....but a simple salt and pepper set would be really really nice.

*******************

For $3,400 per week, I expected alot more. But the RULES part killed it. Won't be coming back...sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I tried writing a review to the management company, ResortQuest first but still have not received a response. The condo - A201 was a beachfront room that was very expensive and completely in need of lots of repairs. I was terribly disappointed in the quality of furniture and most importantly the mattresses in all the rooms. All the screen doors were ripped, the furniture was so shakey we told our kids to not touch it, coffee table. There was horrible patio furniture. We will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2013
Jasper
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I will write more next week when we actually return, but I didn't want to waste one more minute in case today might be the day you book this resort. If anyone is contemplating staying here I would encourage them not to. We have vacationed every year for over 15 years at many nice resorts in various areas, but this is the first one where I have seen the security guards and rules entirely over the top. I am not, and never have been, a rule breaker and I am one who understands the importance of rules. But, during the 3 days we have been here so far we have had towels confiscated, my husband was having a drink (NOT in any type of a glass container) while trying to relax in the hot tub which was told was not allowed, I tried to read on the pool deck this morning at 7:40 am (and was told I couldn't even sit there and read before 8:00 am), and the list honestly goes on. One morning we had our chairs on the beach ready for the day and the Waterscape hotel workers politely put their chairs and umbrellas from the resort right in front of us. And yes, I realize those are for people who have paid for chairs and an umbrella, but what does that mean for us who brought our chairs and umbrella? Does that make us any less important? I do not hold anything against the workers - I'm sure they are just doing their jobs, but the board of directors/management/whoever they are really needs to take a look at this. Vacations should be just that....vacations. Unfortunately we won't be back and it is a place I would not recommend for people to stay. We / friends / family have been to the Destin area numerous times and wanted to try Waterscape....I am sorry that we did. And what is strange...this is the most expensive beach condo we've ever stayed at and the most difficult to get along with. I read the reviews before I booked it and I thought....no, that can't be....they can't possibly be that strict so I went out on a limb and booked it. I just thought when I read those reviews....those people must have just been rule breakers in general. Well, now I see that they more than likely weren't....they were just feeling what we are feeling this week.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrollton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is one the best place we have stayed in Florida. The staffs are wonderful and our kids love the pool and the convenience access to the beach. The room is equipped with everything to cook with. You just have to bring food. Knowing what your kids are eating is better than eating out. Save $$$ at the same time.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We visited Waterscape as our first visit, and really loved the place. We booked through Resort Quest and stayed for a week in a 1 bedroom condo. The Resort Quest staff was really great, especially Keri who took time to answer all of our questions for us. Upon entering the lobby and the resort in general, it is kept very clean with well manicured landscaping. I saw many workers tending to the care of the facility during our stay.

We entered our condo on the 6th floor and were very happy with it! The furniture and decor were very up to date and everything was clean. Our girls loved staying in the bunk beds; however, they were in a precarious spot. They were right by the AC unit that kicked on and off all night and close to the washer and dryer that we had running. There was also a fire sprinkler right above which you had to be careful not to knock your head on when entering the top bunk, so we warned our daughters. Our unit had 2 bathrooms which came in handy and a very large balcony which we spent a lot of time on for lunch and sipping coffee in the morning. The condo overlooked the pool with glimpses of the gulf. It was a great unit overall!

The pool deck was very well planned. It had so many options for so many different ages. It included a little kids play area, a splash pad, two large pools (one of which was zero entry), two hot tubs, and a lazy river. The pool deck also had many gas grills that were available to use. There was a fitness area close to the pools that looked very nice. I read in previous reviews that other guests complained of the workers enforcing the rules around the pool area, but I have to say that the worker that reminded us about a rule we were breaking was very nice about it. All the staff was very pleasant that we came in contact with.

There was also a kids entertainment crew that would do a lot of activities for kids. We didn't have a chance to do most of them, but we did partake in the snow cones and the dive-in movie!

The resort offers free DVD rental which was nice. Many of the movies we wanted to see were checked out though and never available during our stay; however, we were flexible and watched other movies. We were just thankful for the free rental abilities.

The beach was beautiful with the softest sand we have ever seen. It was like walking in powdered sugar. The water had a unique three rows of colors (emerald, teal, and dark blue) which was beautiful. Unfortunately during the week we were there, there was some June grass coming it. It did not hinder us from going in the water, but was somewhat gross when it stuck to your swimsuits. I know it is just nature and it cannot be helped, but it slightly lessoned our opinion of the beach overall. Still great though!

We found that there were many things to do around the area. We went to the Gulfarium, the Boardwalk, the Village of Baytowne Wharf, and Harborside Village which were all fun areas. The BEST activity we did was the Buccaneer Pirate Cruise! Our kids had so much fun on it and it leaves from Harborside Village in Destin. Great family adventure. There were many great food places in the area too. We ate at Fudpuckers, Dewey's Seafood (Destin), and the Crazy Lobster (Destin). We ate our breakfasts and lunches in the room with the nice full kitchen.

Overall, Waterscape is definitely a resort our family would love to come back to with many great things to do in the resort and a lot of great attractions outside of it as well!

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently stayed at Waterscape in room A508. This is our second visit (same condo) and really enjoyed the experience. A number of reviewers have noted the security and requiring wrist bands at all times. This is true, but we didn't mind at all since it keeps non-guests from using the facilities that you are paying for. Also, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and we really appreciated seeing them around the pool areas. The staff at checkout was terrific and we were able to check into our condo an hour early. Also, they gave goody bags to our two children, which they were very excited about. Overall, the resort is great and very kid friendly. They have done an excellent job at maintaining the resort.

The only suggestion I would have for travelers is that if you do not have children, stay at another resort as this is probably not the place for you. The pools were a little crowded, but it was fine and expected. We would definitely stay here in the future.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Very nice 7 day stay in unit B602. Nicely decorated and well kept. Great views of the beach and pool. Location was better than average because Waterscape is at the end of a row of properties which made it less crowded at the beach. Pool area was not too crazy - crowded but big enough that you could still spread out. Lots of gas grills for cooking. Fuddpuckers snack shack was the only disappointment - pricy and not good. Close enough to Destin to enjoy shopping etc but much less congestion in Ft Walton beach. Definitely a great spot for families. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Waterscape Condominiums? Share your experiences!