“Another Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waterscape Condominiums

You added Waterscape Condominiums to your Saves list
Waterscape Condominiums
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1110 Santa Rosa Blvd, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548   |
Atlanta, GA
“Another Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently stayed at Waterscape in room A508. This is our second visit (same condo) and really enjoyed the experience. A number of reviewers have noted the security and requiring wrist bands at all times. This is true, but we didn't mind at all since it keeps non-guests from using the facilities that you are paying for. Also, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and we really appreciated seeing them around the pool areas. The staff at checkout was terrific and we were able to check into our condo an hour early. Also, they gave goody bags to our two children, which they were very excited about. Overall, the resort is great and very kid friendly. They have done an excellent job at maintaining the resort.

The only suggestion I would have for travelers is that if you do not have children, stay at another resort as this is probably not the place for you. The pools were a little crowded, but it was fine and expected. We would definitely stay here in the future.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very nice 7 day stay in unit B602. Nicely decorated and well kept. Great views of the beach and pool. Location was better than average because Waterscape is at the end of a row of properties which made it less crowded at the beach. Pool area was not too crazy - crowded but big enough that you could still spread out. Lots of gas grills for cooking. Fuddpuckers snack shack was the only disappointment - pricy and not good. Close enough to Destin to enjoy shopping etc but much less congestion in Ft Walton beach. Definitely a great spot for families. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

1st stay on the Gulf side .this is a nice place with lots for the families. Beach is different form the ones at Hilton Head sand is very white. First two days were rainy so our well stocked condo(games) was a Godsend. The place is clean and our unit was very convenient . On the first floor and close to parking and pool A109. We rented from Southern Rentals there were one communication issues but not anything bad. The parking garage needs a few more convienient Handicap spaces. The pool police are A. Annoying B alittle rude. That could be handled better. All in all we would come back here for future vacations.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first time at Waterscape. We stayed in unit A418 and they said it was a "no view" unit,which was entirely wrong. We had a lovely view of the ocean from the balcony. The pools and grounds were beautiful,staff was friendly and location was excellent. We have never stayed in a one bedroom unit that is made for 6, but this had plenty of room for our party of five. Free beach chairs and umbrella was nice to have already set up and paid for (included with rental). Definitely a good family choice with kids. We will return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Make sure you request inside room. You will face courtyard,if not, you will face outside to street...
USA - NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is our 3rd year in a row of staying at Waterscape and we all still love it. This year we came the first week in June whereas we used to come a week before Memorial Day so as to avoid the crowds. Thankfully it wasn't that bad. There was always room in the pools since they have 3 plus a lazy river. The pool area was always kept clean. There was also plenty of availability for beach chairs/umbrella. (Tip: You need to go out early and reserve yourself your chairs/umbrella if you want to be on the first row closest to the water, which was important to us. If not then you will have no problem getting a chair in the 2nd or 3rd row when you get out each day). We found the complex to be clean and the staff friendly. There are several grills placed throughout the pool area on a first come - first served basis. We used them twice and had no problems finding an available one near our condo. If you have a family with kids and like to vacation in the Fort Walton Beach Area, this is the place to be. There are not a lot of restaurants near the complex, but we cooked most of our meals so that was not important to us. If being near a lot of restaurants and shops is important to you, I would suggest staying in Destin. For us, the beach was most important. We can't wait to go back to Waterscape next summer!

Room Tip: The lower the number the room the closer it is to the beach.
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is definitely going to be one of my hardest reviews to write. I think I would give this place a 4.5 or so. It is definitely not a 5 from my travel experience. But this place is well above average--that's what makes this so hard to rate. And I definitley want to be as accurate as possible when others look on here to get advice.

I will start with the room and then talk about the ammenities last. First, we stayed in a one bedroom condo with the bunkroom and pull out sofa in Building A (facing the middle pool). I would rate the room just average when compared to other places I have stayed. Kitchen had granite countertops but very medium grade appliances. For the most part, our unit had the basic kitchen necessities.

Unit had a stack washer/dryer unit in closet off of kitchen going towards second bathroom. Washer was okay; Dryer only worked well on high heat. Took a long time to dry. My guess is this is typical of these types of units. A/C unit worked okay. Unit did have ceiling fans in master and living room which helped to move air and keep temp down.

Open living space had dining room table and sofa with chair. This was a good set up. There was a small entertainment center with TV sitting on top with dvd player and stereo. Our unit had carpet in all areas except bathrooms and kitchen. Most places we have stayed in past had tile floors with area rugs. Not sure if all units are like this or not. Some may like this--some may not. Good for us in that we walk around in our bare feet all the time. Also had to pay more attention to spills with our kids because of carpet.

Master bedroom had king bed and a small closet off to the left as you enter. There were two night stands on each side of bed. One small window in master with TV mounted on wall. One of our biggest dislikes was the lack of storage space in the unit. Besides the night stands, there was absolutely no furniture or space to put clothes in. When you stay for a week with 4 people, it would be nice to have some storage space. We basically ended up with our luggage sitting around in the open spaces.

Other big dislike were the bathrooms. I would not call either a master. I thought both were rather small compared to other condos we have stayed in around the NW Florida area. Pedastal sink in the second bathroom and small sink with very limited counter space in one off of the master bedroom. Just your typical fiberglass insert tub in master and a small walk in shower (probably 3.5 by 4 ft) in other bathroom.

Outdoor area off of living room was adequate. Had table with 3 chairs. We didn't use this area at all really. We had pool view and knew this coming in. There was a very limited view of the ocean. We didn't have any misconceptions that our unit was a partial ocean view or anything like that.

I do think that the 3 bedroom and some of the 2 bedroom units closer to the gulf would have awesome views. My guess is that you will pay a premium for these views at this property. There are a very few units with total gulf views--maybe 30 or so out gulf front. But there will be numerous units with good views since the place is angled to give many units a quality gulf view from a distance back into the property. There is a new Holiday Inn being built on the east side of the property. I am not sure how this will affect the views of the east side units after completion.

You do have interior entrances for most of the property units--sort of like a hotel. But that has its minuses as well. On our floor, there was a very bad smell for a couple of days. I am not sure if it was a water issue or garbage issue. But the smell was not good or pleasant.

Waterscape has a covered parking structure. This is a huge plus if you have ever been to the coast before. your vehicle doesn't sit out in the sun all day and it is also protected from much of the sand that flies around. The property had a keypad entry into the parking structure for a little extra security.

Location is immediately to the right when you come across the bridge from Fort Walton. If you are familiar, it is just past the Old Bay Steamer on the left. You make a right hand turn and there is Waterscape.

Once you figure out the elevator and stairwell setups, you will be fine getting around the property. At first, it may seem a little confusing or poorly laid out. But it is nothing to cause me to say it was a negative.

Now to the amenities...

There are 4 seperate pool/water feature areas. Farthest back...kiddie play area, very shallow, did have a slide and some water features. Since my kids were older, didn't really venture up there. But just glancing, looked pretty cool for little ones.

Next was a circular pool--almost like a donut setup. Seemed like more adults and older kids hung out here. There was also a patio area at this pool overlooking the bottom pool. I think the water ranged from like 3 to 4.5 feet deep.

We spent almost all of our time at the main pool area--zero entry on one end that led into the toddler/kid play area.The pool continues out to deeper water and to the waterfall area that you see in all of the property photos. The workout room overlooks this pool. This pool also has the lily pad feature with the ropes that the kids play on continuously. I think the deepest area was like almost 5 ft. The far end did have steps that entered into the pool near the waterfall feature. This pool had 2 water features: a mushroom with water cascading over the top and another feature where the kids can turn wheels/handles to make water spray out of pipes. Water levels ofter ranged around 2 to 3 feet deep in much of the pool. This is awesome for the kids who are not swimmers yet.

The last water area was a small lazy river. There is a bridge that goes over this area so you don't have to walk around it to get to the beach. Water about 3 ft deep. There is not much current moving through the lazy river. This is a very average lazy river at best.

Beach at Waterscape is fabulous! Best area I have been to on the gulf coast. Huge depth to the beach. Waterscape has a large frontage area. For those wanting to head into the water, there is a nice sand bar about 30 or 40 yards off of the beach. It gets less than 2 feet deep--causing there to be great waves at this location. it is very easy for kids to walk out into the surf and be able to touch the bottom. As a parent, I had no concerns with safety with my 10 year old out there. The sand bar causes just enough waves but also keeps the undertow from being a big factor. This beach area is excellent!!

Now...what keeps this place from being a 5 for me. The property is a larger place. I have no idea exactly how many units there are. but the place was only about 50-60% of capacity when I was there. It was easy to tell when you looked at balconies during the day and definitely when you saw the lights at night. But it was still crowded on the beach and the pool area during the busy times of the morning and mid-afternoon. If the place was packed, it would have been miserable. There were two days when we couldn't find 2 chairs together at the pool at like 10 am in the morning. I guess the moral to this story is that if you want a good chair at Waterscape, you better be at the pool or beach by 9 am.

When we went to the beach, we were in the second row of beach chairs both mornings. Once again, if the place was packed, I could see them running out of beach chairs/umbrellas. Of course, I went to the beach to go out into the water with my kids. I know that many like to go and sit. Advice...get out very early for the prime seats.

In terms of the pool, the layout is a little strange. There are tons of curves and angles in the pool area. They have planted tons of palm trees as well. Thus, you don't get full son in most of the locations. Because of the height of the building itself, the pool area starts getting shade early because the building sits close to the pool. There is very little afternoon sun in most of the pool area. This is definitely not a sunbathers pool area. This pool is more for the kids to play. But biggest negative for me was the rough surface of the pool bottom. It was very rough in various places. The bottom of my toes definitely were scraped. I also scraped the skin off of the top of my foot swimming with my son when I hit the bottom with a kick. Granted, I like to stay in the water when I play in the pool with the kids. So I would say that I spend much more time in the water than most adults. But believe me, the bottom of the pool is rough!

Lastly, the internet is totally non-existent here. We even had trouble accessing our 4G through our cell phones. My guess is that the number of people on the property overloads their routers and cell towers in the area. If you like to be online, you will be frustrated. For example, we could not get Netflix to load the entire time. The only time when you could really do anything quickly on the internet was around 5 am in the morning until about 7 am. After that, S L O W....

All in all, I enjoyed Waterscape. For our trip, the weather was awesome as well--mid 80's and it only sprinkled the rain for about 20 minutes the entire week. The beach was open except for one day when Andrea decided to kick things up (double red flags on Thursday when the storm mover through FL). Waves and water was great--very little sea grass or things in water. The beach definitely made the trip.

I would say that there are many condos in the area that are more upscale/luxurious. I would say that the beach rivals most. The pools are definitely better than most. I would only worry if I traveled during peak times when the place is super busy. It may get too crowded. But when you combine everything, Waterscape should meet--possibly even exceed--your expectations. also, I think the photos posted online do give an accurate portrayal of this property.

If you go, enjoy your trip!!

Room Tip: This is a huge property with many options. I would advise you get a property map e-mailed to you an...
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

One of the most family friendly resorts I've stayed at. Wonderful place. Loved the condo we stayed in. It was beautiful. If you stay gulf side in building A your view is now blocked by construction. That was the only downer. They have ample stAff that keep the property in perfect condition. No worries if you stay here. Would not recommend if not with family.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Waterscape Condominiums? Share your experiences!