Just returned from a 5 week vacation of Florida and the Caribbean and after staying in many hotels on our trip including several Holiday Inn’s we found the customer service at the Fort Myers beach the worst we have experienced.
The hotel looked nice and on arrival (Friday) I asked if we could stay an extra night but was immediately told ‘sorry we are full’. I thought being a Sunday night it was more likely to be available.
We checked in to our room which was nice, basic but comfortable. That evening I asked again at reception if they had any rooms available on the Sunday and was instantly told (without even looking at the computer) ‘sorry we are full’. I asked if they could put my name down or call our room if a room became available but was told they don’t do that.
We logged onto the Holiday Inn web site that evening and noticed several room types available online at a higher rate. Later that day I asked again if we could book for Sunday and yet again they said ‘sorry we are full’
The next day yet again in the morning and in the afternoon we logged in to the Holiday Inn web site and found rooms to be available. Again reception said ’no sorry we are fully booked’
I then decided to mention the room availability online that was showing and asked if it was correct and shall I book via the web site as they clearly don’t want to book it at reception.
The receptionist (Courtney) looked all shocked and said ‘oh someone must have just cancelled so a room had just become available but it was more expensive’. I questioned why she had not offered this to us and told her that we had found room availability on the web site the past two days but we always told by her and other staff ‘no rooms available’
I felt like they treated us like we were stupid and found them to be dishonest about high season rates starting on the Sunday night and of sudden availability due to a cancellation (when caught out). She also told me rates vary if you book via another agent so was speechless when I told her we booked direct originally with holidayinn.com.
I did also observe respectable looking people walking in off the street asking for rooms and again instantly told they were fully booked when they clearly were not.
Our neighbours also found the front desk to be unhelpful. They were told on the arrival day their room wasn’t ready, they sat outside the room waiting for 2 hours for someone to go in or out, no one did and after 2 hours they were told ‘okay it’s ready now’. (Just awkward if you ask me)
I am unsure how the booking system here works, it seems a strange way to run a business, especially when they belong to the Holiday Inn brand.
We decided not to stay an extra night. We ended up staying at the Sandpiper Hotel just down the road and had a great experience. Lovely helpful staff and beautiful rooms.
We will not be returning to the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Daydreaming about warm Tropical Nights and Spectacular Sunsets? You found it at the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach resort hotel. Dip your toes into the warm waters and relax oceanfront on one of the largest white sand beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. Our oceanfront Florida resort will make you feel miles away from all the hustle and bustle yet we are just a short drive from the SW Florida Int Airport (RSW) and activities of Fort Myers Beach. Enjoy the Florida sunshine by our outdoor heated pool surrounded by a spacious deck, comfortable chaise lounges and umbrellas. Our surroundings are tropically landscaped with Florida s natural beauty. Enjoy delectable Florida dining at Pinchers Beach Bar and Grill. Challenge yourself with our onsite recreational activities including Ping-Pong, shuffleboard, beach volleyball and scenic jogging trails. Along with free wireless access, our spacious guest rooms are equipped with refrigerators and microwaves upon request. Relax on the balcony of one of our oceanfront rooms and marvel at all the colors of our Florida sunset. If you need a bit more space upgrade to one of our oceanfront suites featuring a panoramic view of the ocean from an oversized balcony. Paradise is just a click away at this magnificent oceanfront Florida resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Wyndham, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach Hotel Fort Myers Beach
- Fort Myers Beach Holiday Inn