“Pool problems are bad!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Estero, Fl
“Pool problems are bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

Beware when you are at the pool you have to return the towels....even though the staff will not tell you. When I got my credit card bill they charged me $340.00 for towels that we left on our pool chairs. When I wrote the manager for a credit he never responded but did credit my card. They are totally talking advantage and hoping people don't notice the charge. Be sure to check your towels back in.

Also the pool bar is really, really slow. I was dissapointed that they didn't have any servers coming around to take drink orders. We waited at the bar for 30 plus minutes. Bring your OWN drinks to the pool.

Rooms are very nice though....

Stayed October 2007
RoomsDirector, Pink Shell at Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, February 9, 2008
We apologize that our standard resort towel policy was not properly communicated to this guest during their stay. We make every attempt to explain this policy on a daily basis to each guest as we issue towels. Because our towels are of higher quality than a standard hotel towel, and sell in our gift shop for $49.95 each, we find it necessary to track the usage of each towel as well as charge for each towel in the event it is not returned upon departure. This will allow us to continue to provide a larger, higher quality towel to our guests.

In regards to the poor service on our pool deck we have already added additional servers and bartenders since this guest has stayed with us. We now have servers that take orders by the pool and even on the beach. This was useful feedback that we have received from several guests and prompted us to make the necessary service changes so that we can offer a better experience for all of our guests.

We appreciate the comments made by this guest and believe that we have already made the appropriate corrections to the issues that this guest has shared with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

We stayed just one night at the Pink Shell over a 3 night stay in Fort Myers Beach. We were very pleased with the accomodations, staff, and amenities. We will go back there for our entire stay on future visits. We were dissappointed we didn't find this earlier.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

The pinkshell resort was aboslutly amazing. There was not one thing i did not like about {except the old men in spedos}.

Rooms- we origanly booked the white sand villas 1 bedroom suite but they upgrated us into a 2 bedroom suite. There was a room for me and my brother we each had a double bed with a tv and a closet {resonable size} and right next door we had out bathroom which had a shower. our parents had there own bedroom as well. They had a balcony which connected to the one in the den aera a king size bed and a television a closet and a bathroom connected to there room. the bathroom had a toliet which was closed off with another door and then there was a huge bathtub and then there was a seperated shower. The balconey had a lounge chair and a regular sitting chair. there was a den with a sofa and a tv and there was a table and a kitchenette there was a stove microwave oven anf fridge.

Resort it self-WOW. beautiful. When you walk into this place its is amazing. the lobby is beautiful. if you look through this huge window you overlook the each and the wonderful poool. Staff was nice but the maid service was a bit slow.

Pool aera- Wonderful the pool was a nice size. There is a wonderful water fall with a octopus on it {fake} that at night when you look out of your glorious window its eyes change colors. There were seats though not always did you snag an umbrella.

Beach- b-e-autful. AMAZING! like wooah. the sand was like powder sooooo soft. its perfect for kidz to make stuff in. No coral in the water and early in the moring about 7:30 8 if you looked out of your window you would see dolphins.

Service- excellent they would come to you on the beach and bring you your drinks and food.

Prices- insanly expencive. If you forgot to bring back a towel the price was about 50 dollars. now when you look on the website thoses chairs and stuff you had to pay and reserve for it about 50-60 dollars. Shovels and stuff 15-20.$. now the money we spent on drinks for that week was ALOT like 500$+. yes very expensive.

Food and Drink- smoothies from a kids point of view WOWIE. sooooo yumumy everyone will love them. Chickenwings were amaxing. and the food was great.

Defenitly safe to let you kid 11+ to go to the room alone everyone is extremely nice and helpful. just make sure they know ther floor and everything becasue i got lost becuase all the floors when yo come out of the elevator look the same.

Even though im a kid 14 this place was fantastic. Everything was great.

If you left the resort and went back out of the island a little at night there is a cute little shopping aera with a bunch of stores eith little nick nacs hanging around. My family and I went to Sandibel Island for a day abouslty amazing as well.

Bad things- prices and maid service. SLOW. but not to the extreme.

[--]

go!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — prices and maid service.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

This new addition to the Pink Shell Resort is awesome in detail and value. The sunsets are always wonderful in March, when we stayed, and this was no exception. The view of the ocean is fantastic. Staff is extremely helpful and courteous. You pay a little more, but in this case you absolutely get what you pay for. The one bedroon suite we had included a balcony, huge bathroom, nice kitchen with all the essentials, closet with a washer and dryer, and plenty of room for 4 of us. If you can afford it, it is the place to stay on Fort Myers Beach, and especially if you have children. Plenty of activities for them, including a movie night at the pool. I can't wait to return. Before you book this, go to their website and check out the discounts. Speak directly with the resort to get the best deal.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Didn't ask me to stay longer...
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

Resort was in a nice location on beach and good views from balconies. However, there were a few problems: The room was not ready, some of the employees seemed surly, and we had alot of difficulty trying to enter our unit with the keycard each time. The resort claims to cater to couples and honeymooners as well as families, so my husband and I reserved an efficiency with king size bed in the Sanibel View building. We were surprised after a few days that a large family with screaming kids was put into the small unit right next to ours. The lobby and middle building seem so much better for families. The power also went out several times and therefore we had to reprogram the clocks alot.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — very noisy on weekends...
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

I realize there are a lot of reviews that show how grand this place is, but I'd like to share with you. We stayed there 12/29/07 - 1/5/08.

The Good: The resort is very pretty. The view from every window(rooms and restaurant) is breath-taking. There are many different types of rooms available. Most of the staff are friendly and accomodating. Breakfast was delicious. They just started 3 weeks prior to our stay to offer 2 tickets per ROOM for a free breakfast - normally $12.95 each. It's a buffet.

The Bad: Upon making the reservations I checked the box that said I would like an Early Check-In. After waiting 3.5 hours they told us that they could not honor that request when they were busy. (Nothing on web site saying so) We also saw people come in after us and get a room while we sat and waited. The Internet worked that first night and then not in the mornig. We waited while maintenance came to fix it. They could not. I will not bore you with all of the grizzly details, but, off and on during the week we were there we ended up spending hours and hours either calling the front desk, waiting for maintenence to come and reset the system, or waiting for tech support to come and work in our room or on the main system. Needless to say I lost out on a lot of time enjoying the beach or sight-seeing. They finally gave us a much upgraded room in return for the inconvenience. That was after offering us 2 rooms which were much smaller than our original and one of those rooms was across from the building's main A/C unit. The noise in the room was horrible. While checking out rooms they were offering (at 10:00 pm I might add) I found out that there were quite a few rooms that were never cleaned from the day's check-outs. Everything is rather pricey. An 80 minute couple's massage at the resort's spa was $300.00. Their restaurant only has breakfast, they do not offer dinner. The pool is not heated. Our original room was missing furniture. After viewing other rooms we found out that we were supposed to have a small kitchenette table and chairs in front of the bay window. The elevators were very slow. TV went out on several different occassions. The small superette had a fair amount of items but were out of quite a few things.

The Ugly: For over $300 I expected fancier rooms. Every room's lamps had shades that were worn and torn. The grout in the showers were starting to mold. There were cracks in the ceilings. The bedroom furniture did not match. There was a large piece of tile missing in the elevator where a woman in heels could have twisted her ankle. The draperies were faded. Some porches had furniture, some had lots, some were sparce. They couldn't keep the Internet up and running but you had to show ID and sign out towels.

We did find out from the tech support that the entire building was on the same system for the Internet. All of the rooms not only shared the connection with each other but with the business office. (Doesn't make for a very secure system)

All in all I was not very impressed. I don't know that I'd ever stay there again, nor would I recommend it. I know some of this was my own expectation that spending that much money I thought I was going to be treated like a princess, but it did not happen and I doubt it ever does. I won't encourage nor discourage anyone from going there.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Felt like all the money they make they keep and don't put back to make improvements
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
RoomsDirector, Rooms Director at Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 12, 2008
I wish to take this opportunity to address the issues this guest had during her stay at the Pink Shell Beach Resort & Spa. Our intent is never to let any of our guests leave our resort unsatisfied with their stay. Though we did experience issues with our internet provider during this guest’s stay, I believe some of the other guest’s issues are based on assumptions and misunderstandings.

The guest is correct in commenting that we had issues with our internet service during the period she stayed with us. We acknowledge that we had an issue with the equipment that provides the service to the resort. Our service provider did make the necessary repairs during the period of this guest’s stay. We know this was an inconvenience for our guests that wanted to access the internet and we made every effort to come to a satisfactory resolution with each guest that had an issue with the lack of internet service. In the case of this guest we were able to offer her a complimentary upgrade to a larger unit. I do wish to make it clear that our broadband internet system does run through a central hub, and like most businesses we utilize a single service provider, but in no way does this jeopardize the security and privacy of each individual connection.

The Resort’s web site does have an area that allows you to request an early check in. This is located under the “Service Request” field in the reservation section of the web site. The Resort’s check in time is 4pm and we make every effort to get the rooms ready for guests that arrive before our guaranteed check in time. We also have several different unit types, which may result in some of our guests receiving their unit before a guest that has reserved a different type of unit. In the case of this guest I believe she thought the Service Request was a guarantee. This guest arrived at the resort at 11:30am, which is only half an hour after check out time. We had sold out of rooms the night before so we would not have had a unit ready for her arrival. She was also checked in more than hour before our guaranteed check in time.

One last issue that I wish to address is that we do serve dinner at the Resort. We have multiple restaurants that are open for all three meals during the day. During the period the guest stayed with us Jack’s Sea Grille was open for breakfast, while lunch and dinner was served at Jojo’s Restaurant. We detail these locations at check in, we have this information printed in the resort guide that each of our guests receive at check in, and we have signs around the resort detailing the different service times and locations. It is unfortunate this guest was not aware of this and we will look into other options that may help inform our guests of these times and locations.

We appreciate all feed back from all of our guests, be it positive or negative. We learn most from the comments of our guests and this information is used to identify issues that we can improve upon to make a better experience for all of our guests. I hope this guest decides to stay with us again and I will be happy to speak with her directly about the issues of her past stay.
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

Beautiful location right on the beach. We paid a small premium to stay in the newer middle building (strongly advise!). We paid about $400 a night for 7 nights on a last minute holiday vacation getaway. We had a 14, 13, and 5 year old with us. The rooms were adequately sized for our size family (only had the 1 king, pull out available). We had two beautiful views from two different sides of the room overlooking the water (breathtaking!). This was due to having two balconies (screened in and large, one with a hot tub). The beach was right outside the pool area and was wonderful. You must pay to get umbrellas/chairs ($25 per day), parasailing ($70), and shelling trip ($140 for the 5 of us...strongly recommended due to length of time on boat and beach, 4 hours+). Activities for little ones at poolside. Little activities for early teens and not too many this age there at this time.
The worst aspect of this hotel is the very poor front desk service (they really don't seem like they care), the reservation people on the phone (located north of hotel; didn't even know the size of the rooms!), but most of all the cleaning crew. It was like pulling teeth to get room cleaned before 3:00pm, to get additional towels was a chore, the hot tub was not drained daily as posted, sheets on the pullout were not changed until a note was written, and the rugs were swept only periodically.
With that said, it did not ruin our vacation in any way as we were out and about most of the time. Don't let my comments keep you from enjoying this beautiful hotel. Downtown Timesquare was a blast too. Lots to do in the area.
I would stay again, definately.

Stayed December 2007

Been to Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!