“Gulfview Manor Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Canterbury
“Gulfview Manor Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here last month for a week and can recommend it,good size bedroom although was a little dark with two lamps, would have liked a brighter light to search through my suitcase! Bed was comfortable and very clean, sitting room a good size with a settee and two leather seats, table and chairs and a TV. Kitchen was good, very large fridge and freezer above which we just used for ice. We ate out or used 7 11 for pizza etc. very handy for 7 11, Publix just down the road, no noise at night, lovely and quiet, overlooked beach so great for sunsets and glass of wine! used the trollee bus so we could have a few drinks before dinner which we tended to have mid to late afternoon, ample parking, excellent wifi, very quick and included in price, pool was warm and deep and chairs or sunloungers available - never crowded,staff very helpful and pleasant, lovely holiday and would used again.

Room Tip: This is an apartment rather than a hotel so bring your toiletries etc. toilet paper, soap and dish w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is a nice place to stay at a fair price. Would I stay there again? I just did! This hotel is right on the beach, although it is certainly a wide beach. If you are a family with a lot of beach chairs, sand castle tools, and a cooler to carry, make sure your family is willing to help. A morning walk on the beach will give you plenty of pelicans and other birds to watch.

Good points:
Converted condos so they have separate bedrooms
Full kitchen instead of mini fridge and microwave (plenty of plates/glasses, utensils, but no cookware so bring your own or use the BBQ grills downstairs)
Nearby 7-11 and Publix for stocking the kitchen
Theater and restaurant almost across the street
Beautiful views
Very quiet, no slamming doors or people partying all night

Not so Good:
Dirty and uncomfortable wicker style sofa
Wireless Internet signal was weak

You won't get daily maid service. To me that it a good point since I do not want to be bothered, but I do understand that some people will not like that. The beds are also a bit soft, but that is again something that some might call good, while others will not like it so much. This was my second visit in two years time. Since last year, they replaced the big clunker TV in the bedroom with a flat screen and replaced the two fabric rockers with leathery chairs. Let's hope the wicker style couch goes next, but at least they are making improvements.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
toledo, Oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We have been vacationing in Fort Myers for many years, but this is the first time at Gulfview Manor. We were very impressed with the place. Amazing ocean views with one of the largest balconies we have ever seen! Check in and out well extremely well, the staff is top notch to deal with, very friendly. Everything is well arranged and clean. I gave this place 4 stars and not 5 because it doesn't offer everything. There are no paper towels, small toiletries, daily cleaning service, and no dishwasher. They have dish soap and you are expected to clean all your dirty dishes. My only problem with this, are the previous guest as diligent as I cleaning dishes?? All in all, the value is fantastic and I would definitely vacation here again. The value is fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My fiancé and his family have been coming to Ft. Myers beach for the past 20 years on vacation. This year marked my second annual family vacation with my wonderful, future in-laws. Last year we stayed at the Pink Shell and chose to stay at a more laid back place this year. My fiancé's parents told us about GVM so we decided to take a day to drive over (we live in Ft Lauderdale) to check it out. You cant beat the view or the price!
I read all the reviews found online and the complaints about Ken... (I have to say that I love how he replies to all of the negative comments with an explanation of what actually happened.) We were given a list of all the do's and don'ts, rules, instructions for laundry day, etc. I signed all the necessary forms and began to move into our apartment for the week. The second morning we noticed a slight problem but when I reported the issue to Ken he had it taken care of immediately and even compensated us for the problem.
Our week was very relaxing. We enjoyed the pool, spa, beach and nice quiet evenings "at home".

Fast forward 2 months: I've had a frustrating day and to top it off, its pouring in Ft Lauderdale today.. I went to check the mail and have a hand-written post card thanking us for our stay. Completely brightened my day! We'll be booking a two week vacation next year with GVM!

Room Tip: Choose a room above the 3rd floor to have a beautiful view. If you bring your dogs, you Won't h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on our first vacation together and chose to stay at Gulf view Manor. We were greeted by friendly staff when we arrived at noon after 24 hrs on the road and the room was ready to go so they let us check in early. We stayed on the second floor in a 1 bedroom beach front apartment. The room was clean, comfortable and had amazing views. Yes, they do have a list of do's and dont's but nothing that hindered our enjoyment of the property and our surroundings (and both of us are smokers..we had no problem going to the ground level and enjoying the weather while we walked our dog and smoked a cigarette) my bf even accidentally brought out a glass drinking cup instead of the plastic ones provided for outdoor use and was very nicely reminded to plz make sure to use the plastic ones outside. The beach at this hotel had the nicest sand and warmest water of all the beaches we visited during our stay. We definitely plan on returning to Fort Myers Beach next summer and already have decided to return to Gulfview Manor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The beach is breathtaking and the rooms are spacious and clean. The family owned part makes it uncomfortable for me as there is a reason I do not stay in B&B's...I prefer the anonymity and professionalism of hotels. This place gives you the feel of being house guests of a very picky host, and yet paying for the privilege. Reading the other reviews I can easily see the scenarios, with the owner, playing out exactly as the other reviewers described.

The living room, facing the ocean, is gorgeous, but that means on the other side of the condo the bedroom is a dark creepy dungeon of a room. You cannot open the blinds as the window is right on the walkway by the front door, and there are not enough lights in the room.

The vertical blinds are the kind without any attachments at the bottom, and this is a problem as with the a/c on blowing at them they rattle against each other and the window keeping you up all night. And you definitely need the a/c on. The living room will get freezing cold, while the bedroom will still be too hot to sleep in.

The grounds are very well maintained almost to the point of opulence, yet there are missing tiles by the pool side with caution tape strapped to the chairs. There was also a large cleaning machine parked right outside one room door and I watched shocked, while the people checking in there struggled with their bags trying to get around it to get in the door, yet this large machine never moved in all the days I was there. It was as if this is where it was stored instead of in a shed. But yet at the same time, standing in the same place, I can hear the beautiful sounds of a lit up water feature. Again, there seemed to be little continuity. The juxtaposition was curious, if not almost facinating trying tio find the loigic of it all.

All in all you can't beat the price and the location. I would stay there again, but at least now I will know what I am going in to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My family (wife, 16 yr old son, me) recently spent a long weekend in the Ft. Myers area for a national baseball showcase that my son was playing in. I chose the Gulfview Manor Resort for its location right on Ft. Myers Beach and its lower cost than most beachfront accomodations in Ft. Myers Beach.

I booked using Expedia and was promptly given a confirmation phone call by the office staff at Gulfview. They confirmed the accomdations and provided helpful information for our stay. This was a very nice touch.

My family is very familiar with renting beach houses at the NC Outer Banks and the accomadations at Gulfview work very similarly. This is NOT a "hotel". You are renting an "apartment" that is probably owned or timeshared other times of the year. As such, like renting a beach "house", you are expected to take care of a few things yourself that a traditional hotel might do for you; i.e. take out your trash, wash your dishes and cooking utensils, etc. I think the "Resort" portion of Gulfview Manor Resort is a bit confusing or mis-leading for some people, who think of a resort as a pampering all-inclusive. If you understand this aspect of Gulfview, then your stay will be very enjoyable and peaceful. Another note, this "resort" does not keep resort-style office hours, i.e. the front desk is not staffed 24-hrs a day as is a typical hotel. This is not a huge deal if you plan your trip to the office accordingly.

We stayed in a top-floor (6th) 2-bedroom 2-bath sideview apartment that had great views of both the Gulf and the intercoastal waterways on either side of the property. We had terrific views of both morning sunrises and evening sunsets! The decor, furniture, etc was clean and well kept, although a bit dated. The rooms were clean and although small, the kitchen was well stocked with most everything needed to cook, make drinks, etc. One note: the kitchen cabinet doors need re-aligning and adjustment. This sort of detail, where the doors hang slightly open all the time drives me nuts! But that is just my quirk.

The staff is pleasant, although we did not meet the manager - Ken. One critique I would give the staff is to not present the list of "don'ts" as the first thing you hear about your stay. It can be presented in a more customer-oriented, positive manner. As currently handled, the effect is that by staying there, you the paying customer, are an inconvience or annoyance to management. Food for thought to staff and management.

The beach here is very wide and clean, although, being a regular at the NC Outer Banks, which are very regulated environmentally, seeing the beach being "groomed" with tractors daily seemed really odd. You would never get away with that at most other beaches around the country. Also, if you haven't been to the Gulf, it can seem odd that you do not hear any surf or waves. The waves and surf here is very small. It is great for little kids, but seemed sort of artifical to this "Atlantic-coaster".

All in all, the Gulfview provided a great place to stay and unwind in between baseball games in Ft. Myers.

Room Tip: Unless you have pets, choose a room on the upper floors, where even the sideview rooms have great un...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Gulfview Manor Resort? Share your experiences!