“Maybe too high of expectations?” 4 of 5 stars

Carousel Inn on the Beach
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6230 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931   |
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Champaign, Illinois
“Maybe too high of expectations?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

After reading all the great reviews maybe my expectations were too high... PROS: the hotel is older (which I like) and the room was very nice and clean (and kept that way with the great maid service). Having a kitchenette was a big bonus and the king bed was comfortable. We booked the room as a combination with air & rental car and considered it a good bargain. Most rooms do have a beach view. CONS: Customer service is a priority with us and the office staff was not at all friendly/helpful; we interacted with three different employees during our stay.The pool water was clean but the pool walls were dirty with an oily film. The restroom for the pool area was convenient but in disrepair (cracked tile & pealing paint). Through no fault of the hotel that area of the beach had several feet of dark seaweed both on the sand and in the first several feet of water. The hotel is right on the beach but it truly is a LONG way to the water.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are much more convenient that second floor rooms if you frequently come & go o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

first of all I want to say, that we booked this motel very late because everything else was booked out. I thought okay let's take this one even if the pictures are looking not the best. But what I tell you know: We were 100% surprised how great it is there. I would come back immediately. The location perfect. And the rooms are so big. It's more an apartment. I loved the kitchen everything was there great equipment. We made a nice barbecue outside we could use the very new lookin grills for free. The only thing I want to note is that the room service could have been a little bit better. They just changed the towels. But it'sa beach motel that means sand everywhere but it was ok. Like I said at the end I would come back in one second. John from the front desk helped us a lot with finding things to do or going out for dinner. Very friendly. I love this motel. Hope I can come back next year :)

• Stayed June 2014
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is an older, but very well maintained hotel right on the beach. This is a BEACH hotel, not a fancy, high-end hotel. Rooms are spacious. Each room has a full (if somewhat small), fully stocked kitchen. It has a very clean refrigerator, stove, oven, plates, glasses, toaster, pans, silverware, cooking utensils, coffee maker, microwave, dishtowels, even a small bottle of dish detergent. With a family, this sames time and $$, as you can bring cereal and snacks, or you can prepare meals if you wish. We had a king size bed and a pull out couch that is apx. full sized. The hotel has a pool, shuffleboard thingy, and two gas grills for the guests' use. I think that the first floor rooms must allow pets, because I saw several. They have wi-fi, which is free, but somewhat weak. They also provide beach towels. The beach itself is right behind the hotel, with 4 rooms facing the beach. Now, for the beach. The only issue is the distance from the hotel to the shore. It is quite a trek. This isn't the hotel's fault, but I recommend that you rent an umbrella and chairs from the vendor on the beach rather than lug yours all the way out there. If you take your own, plus a cooler and some beach toys, you'll be exhausted by the time you get there. Overall, a great family place. Would I stay there again? Most definitely.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms that face the beach!
Palm Coast, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We returned to the Carousel this June and enjoyed it as much as before. The only issue I had was Wi-fi. Does not work, neither my phone nor my laptop could use it. The hotel is older, so it has rough edges but the location is fantastic. Our stay was pleasant and uneventful. The dog is welcome there and he loves the calm waters of the Gulf especially the dog beach which is about 4 miles south. We like the location because it is away from the hustle and bustle at the north end of Estero Island. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have stayed here before..love it! The rooms had a makeover from our last stay(love it)
If you stay during the week its so quiet! (we stayed 8 days this time) and almost like you have the place to yourself...our last weekend there the party crowd started to move in Thursday evening which made the place noisy from people hollering to each other from the bottom rooms to the top level rooms (they were all together -probably about 10 different rooms)
We traveled with our dog - a black lab, and didn't have a problem one with him being there, he loved the beach!
The maids rock! Sweet girls!
Some things were different this time from our last stay..the 2 BBQ grills don't work right, the few beach chairs that are kept near the end of the hotel were always cabled up, which I enjoyed last time when I didn't want to go all the way out to the beach. The trash dumpsters started to overflow- need to have the dumpsters emptied more often.
I plan to keep coming back!!!

Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have been vacationing at the Carousel for the last four years. I previously gave them a 5 star rating. Well, things have REALLY changed and not for the better! Let me start by saying that I cut my vacation in half this time around. For starters, the trash can leading to the sand was overflowing with garbage, bottles, cans, etc., for three days before they finally emptied it. It's not so nice walking down to the beach stepping around garbage! They never had any beach/pool towels when we asked. We had to ask for extra bath towels and were told by cleaning staff that they simply did not have enough towels for all of the rooms. Really? The pool was dirty. There was broken glass in the parking lot, and the door handles in both the bathroom and the room door did not work properly.

The lounge chairs used to be tied down, but on the sand. Now they're tied down on the grass farther away from the sand. You can't really get to the chairs because there are grass spurs all over the place!

They "upgraded" their Wi-Fi...so you have a password now. Well, I wouldn't have minded so much if I actually got Wi-Fi while I was there. Not one time were any of us able to get Wi-Fi during the four days we spent there! I much preferred their old Wi-Fi, which actually worked!

I take my own sheets when I travel because of a detergent allergy. I had an 800 thread count King-sized sheet on top of their queen-sized sheet. On day three, my sheet was gone. That's when I finally gave up and call it quits. The manager asked me if I had told the cleaning staff not to change the beds. Truth is I didn't, but I would think that when they went to remove the sheets, they would have noticed two sheets (one larger than the other and one quite a lot softer than the other).

This hotel used to be so cozy, clean, and relaxing. It's not anymore. It's a run-down hotel where it's customers are no longer the focus. Maybe it's because they're selling the place and no longer care....I'm not sure what's going on there, but I won't be returning. I'd rather spend a little more and go somewhere else where I can get Wi-Fi, towels, and not have to walk around trash to take in the beautiful gulf-coast sunsets.

Rhinebeck, New York, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Sorry we only stayed one night. Large room with kitchen over looking the ocean, worth the extra few dollars.No need to go into town. Clean. Even the beach was clean! Balcony. Friendly staff, friendly guests!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carousel Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!