“Great Family Beach Vacation Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Carousel Inn on the Beach
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6230 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931   |
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Naples, Florida
“Great Family Beach Vacation Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is an older, but very well maintained hotel right on the beach. This is a BEACH hotel, not a fancy, high-end hotel. Rooms are spacious. Each room has a full (if somewhat small), fully stocked kitchen. It has a very clean refrigerator, stove, oven, plates, glasses, toaster, pans, silverware, cooking utensils, coffee maker, microwave, dishtowels, even a small bottle of dish detergent. With a family, this sames time and $$, as you can bring cereal and snacks, or you can prepare meals if you wish. We had a king size bed and a pull out couch that is apx. full sized. The hotel has a pool, shuffleboard thingy, and two gas grills for the guests' use. I think that the first floor rooms must allow pets, because I saw several. They have wi-fi, which is free, but somewhat weak. They also provide beach towels. The beach itself is right behind the hotel, with 4 rooms facing the beach. Now, for the beach. The only issue is the distance from the hotel to the shore. It is quite a trek. This isn't the hotel's fault, but I recommend that you rent an umbrella and chairs from the vendor on the beach rather than lug yours all the way out there. If you take your own, plus a cooler and some beach toys, you'll be exhausted by the time you get there. Overall, a great family place. Would I stay there again? Most definitely.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms that face the beach!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Palm Coast, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We returned to the Carousel this June and enjoyed it as much as before. The only issue I had was Wi-fi. Does not work, neither my phone nor my laptop could use it. The hotel is older, so it has rough edges but the location is fantastic. Our stay was pleasant and uneventful. The dog is welcome there and he loves the calm waters of the Gulf especially the dog beach which is about 4 miles south. We like the location because it is away from the hustle and bustle at the north end of Estero Island. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have stayed here before..love it! The rooms had a makeover from our last stay(love it)
If you stay during the week its so quiet! (we stayed 8 days this time) and almost like you have the place to yourself...our last weekend there the party crowd started to move in Thursday evening which made the place noisy from people hollering to each other from the bottom rooms to the top level rooms (they were all together -probably about 10 different rooms)
We traveled with our dog - a black lab, and didn't have a problem one with him being there, he loved the beach!
The maids rock! Sweet girls!
Some things were different this time from our last stay..the 2 BBQ grills don't work right, the few beach chairs that are kept near the end of the hotel were always cabled up, which I enjoyed last time when I didn't want to go all the way out to the beach. The trash dumpsters started to overflow- need to have the dumpsters emptied more often.
I plan to keep coming back!!!

Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have been vacationing at the Carousel for the last four years. I previously gave them a 5 star rating. Well, things have REALLY changed and not for the better! Let me start by saying that I cut my vacation in half this time around. For starters, the trash can leading to the sand was overflowing with garbage, bottles, cans, etc., for three days before they finally emptied it. It's not so nice walking down to the beach stepping around garbage! They never had any beach/pool towels when we asked. We had to ask for extra bath towels and were told by cleaning staff that they simply did not have enough towels for all of the rooms. Really? The pool was dirty. There was broken glass in the parking lot, and the door handles in both the bathroom and the room door did not work properly.

The lounge chairs used to be tied down, but on the sand. Now they're tied down on the grass farther away from the sand. You can't really get to the chairs because there are grass spurs all over the place!

They "upgraded" their Wi-Fi...so you have a password now. Well, I wouldn't have minded so much if I actually got Wi-Fi while I was there. Not one time were any of us able to get Wi-Fi during the four days we spent there! I much preferred their old Wi-Fi, which actually worked!

I take my own sheets when I travel because of a detergent allergy. I had an 800 thread count King-sized sheet on top of their queen-sized sheet. On day three, my sheet was gone. That's when I finally gave up and call it quits. The manager asked me if I had told the cleaning staff not to change the beds. Truth is I didn't, but I would think that when they went to remove the sheets, they would have noticed two sheets (one larger than the other and one quite a lot softer than the other).

This hotel used to be so cozy, clean, and relaxing. It's not anymore. It's a run-down hotel where it's customers are no longer the focus. Maybe it's because they're selling the place and no longer care....I'm not sure what's going on there, but I won't be returning. I'd rather spend a little more and go somewhere else where I can get Wi-Fi, towels, and not have to walk around trash to take in the beautiful gulf-coast sunsets.

Rhinebeck, New York, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Sorry we only stayed one night. Large room with kitchen over looking the ocean, worth the extra few dollars.No need to go into town. Clean. Even the beach was clean! Balcony. Friendly staff, friendly guests!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This sure isn't the same place it was a few years ago. The "little things" aren't getting done anymore. So where does one start? There was a bud lite can lying next to a lawn chair all week. Broken blue glass in the parking lot for too long. The lawn chairs are cabled, probably rightfully so but no longer on the beach. Instead you can get sand spurs where they are now. There were a few nails sticking out of the decking around the front rooms more then 1/4 of an inch. The gas grills are useless. I watched many try them in dismay last weekend. For starters many of the knobs turn around in circles. Now if you do approximate where the knob should be and get a burner or two lit LOL You might as well cook in the room... Now if you use the front grill you will be standing in grease.. The appliances In the room (s) are spotless, do work well but there is rust thru going on. The grout on the bathroom tile is not "spotless" clean nor is the tile still shiny clean. The top of one of the showers has small mold spots. Just lots of little things to us that all add up.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Haines City, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Don't expect a high class hotel and you will love it. Perfect location, literally right on the beach. I recommend the beachfront rooms - well worth the extra price to walk out onto the beach! Some maintenance in the rooms would be nice (paint the rusty appliances), but most people don't stay there for the rooms.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Carousel Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!